TPMS & Rotating Wheels?

1. Redcap

Redcap Member

First Name:
    Ross
    Car(s):
    2018 CTR FK8
    Can the wheels be rotated to distribute tyre wear? My local garage said I can’t rotate them due to the TPMS. I want to change tyres as a set so I’d like to put the rear tyres on the front to wear them all out and replace them (set of 4) at the same time. I’m in the UK, any help is much appreciated! Thanks

2. USPmatch

USPmatch Senior Member

First Name:
    James
    Car(s):
    2017 Civic SI sedan
    As far as I know , there isn’t an actual sensor in the tires to monitor pressure. The car uses a different sensor that detects vibration and just gives a tpms warning. So, your tires can be rotated . And you can reset the tpms from your cars touch screen if it has one.

3. 18TypeR-13922

18TypeR-13922 Senior Member

First Name:
    ADM
    Car(s):
    2018 CBP CTR, 2013 CBP Pilot Touring, 2015 Accord EX-L
    Unless you have staggered sizes (civics don't) you should be able to rotate tires. If you have directional tires it would have to be front to back on the same side. The TPMS uses the wheel speed sensor so it's not on the wheel like some other cars. As @USPmatch says you can reset it on the touchscreen

4. Groundcontrol

Groundcontrol Senior Member

First Name:
    Eric
    Car(s):
    2018 PMM CTR
    Your car has an indirect TPMS system, so there is no sensor in the actual wheels like there was in the previous models. You can rotate the tires (unless you have directional tires) but make sure you set the tire pressures back to the proper psi or the TPMS light will come on. The tech moved my front tires to the back without airing up/down the tires and the TPMS sensor came on before I had even pulled out of the dealership parking lot.

5. OP
    OP
    Redcap

Redcap Member

First Name:
    Ross
    Car(s):
    2018 CTR FK8
    Thanks for all of your replies, it’s much appreciated.

They are the OE tyres so I will be rotating them front to back ASAP!

6. gtman

gtman Senior Member

CivicX addict
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Car(s):
    2017 Cosmic Blue Civic EX-L
    Like others have said, our cars don't have the traditional tpms sensors in the wheels. Here's how the indirect system works...

"Indirect TPMS uses the vehicle’s ABS/VSA (Anti-lock Braking System/Vehicle Stability Assist) wheel speed sensors to calculate tire pressure. This method looks for changes in rotation or resonance that indicates low tire pressure. The system requires calibration any time the tire pressure is adjusted, if a tire is replaced, or if tires have been rotated."