TPMS light comes on when pressures are too high?

1. todda

todda 2018 Aegean blue CTR 14103

First Name:
    Todd
    Car(s):
    2018 Aegean blue Type R; 2011 Subaru WRX limited; 2003 Acura RSX-S were previous vehicles
    Last week I was driving somewhat spiritedly in 70 degree temps here in SoCal, and my TPMS warning light came on and showed low pressures, which I thought was due to a nail. I immediately took the car to Discount Tire, whom I have huge faith in, and the employee looked at all 4 tires and the pressures were at 37 PSI all around. No nail was found.

The same thing happened to me 2 days later too, and I took a quick look at the tires and could not find anything--I have driven it for about 3 days since and do not feel any difference in how it handles, and the TPMS light has not come back on.

Have any of you ever had this happen?

2. tinyman392

tinyman392 Senior Member

First Name:
    Marcus
    Car(s):
    '18 Civic Type R (RR)
    Tire pressure should be measured from cold, I'm betting they were measured hot when you checked them. Let the car cool down for a least a couple hours (or overnight) and check them. They should be 35 front 33 rears. The TMPS light also has a tendency to throw false positives.

3. Fanoflive

Fanoflive Senior Member

First Name:
    Jeremiah
    Car(s):
    2017 Honda Civic Coupe EXT 6MT
    I have had this happen to me. I live in northern IL and took a trip down to southern IL in the fall of '17. On the day of my trip it was cool at home, like 45, and when I got closer to the south it was near 80 degrees out. I was driving about 80MPH down the interstate and my TPMS light came on. I stopped and a gas station to check my tires and of course they didnt have a gauge on the air hose and I didn't have one with me. I put some air in and got back on the road. Once I arrived at my destination I found a dealership and had it checked out. My tires were over pressure and was told that was the reason the light came on. They adjusted the pressures, reset my TPMS, and I was on my way. I had no more issues with it the rest of my trip. Needless to say, I bought a pressure gauge that stays in the glovebox for future trips.

4. omar0123

omar0123 Senior Member

First Name:
    Omar
    Car(s):
    2019 type r
    Look up tpms i left a comment on what can be done to stop the tpms from coming on if doesn't stop no matter what psi , its not a calibrations issue its programing the system to stop the system from triggering the light has to be done with a scan tool i did with my luanch x431 which can see and program the system .

5. racer

racer Senior Member

First Name:
    Dave
    Car(s):
    2018 Civic Si sedan.
    Buy a tire gauge and keep it in the glovebox. Check pressures as soon as allowable once the light is triggered to see if you have an issue. If throwing false positives, see above for how to fix. At minimum, try recalibrating after manually checking.