TPMS + ABS + Brake system + ACC freak out?

JediSkipdogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Just info, we are going on 2.5 weeks and the issue has still not re-occurred. This is the longest we have gone without it occurring and generally we couldn't go 2 days without it happening. I truly think the VSA Modulator was the key.

Now if I can just get the rest of the radio fixed, lol.
Sponsored

dtccivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Country flag
After 13 days in the shop (long story), I got my car back. VSA Modulator replaced.

The next day? Got the same 5 errors. Even worse, my car wouldn't unlock again. WTF.

What do I do?

Honda Civic 10th gen TPMS + ABS + Brake system + ACC freak out? 20160521_011341000_iOS

RockyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kia Optima SXL, 2015 Honda CRV EX, 2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2003 Lancer Evolution
After 13 days in the shop (long story), I got my car back. VSA Modulator replaced.

The next day? Got the same 5 errors. Even worse, my car wouldn't unlock again. WTF.

What do I do?

20160521_011341000_iOS.jpg
Do you often use your car in accessory mode?

RockyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kia Optima SXL, 2015 Honda CRV EX, 2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2003 Lancer Evolution

dtccivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Could you folks do me a favor?

I've started a website to track these ridiculous errors: http://hondacivicproblems.com/

Have you seen these errors reported on other Honda forums/sites? That way I can add those links to my site to show that there's a real problem.

When you call Honda to talk about this, please reference this site. (Note that the Honda Agent I spoke to try to google "Honda Civic Problems" instead of typing hondacivicproblems.com - I had to spell it out.)

JediSkipdogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Well, after about 5 weeks the problem came up again yesterday. Same errors. It's parked now and then back to the dealership on Friday. Our vehicle now officially qualifies as a Lemon in the state of Ohio. May be heading to arbitration to see how they want to resolve the problem if they don't come up with some solution on Friday.

SourOnCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
Just bought an LX last week (manufactured in Ontario in November '15 per the door panel info) and the tire pressure light popped up last night. Under 300 miles on the car. I thankfully don't have an infotainment system (I think touch screens and stuff like that is a terrible idea at anything faster than 0 mph) so I have an actual warning light. Will check it when I get out of bed. EDIT: checked this morning and the tires look fine on visual inspection. Light still on. Ugh.

I'm really disappointed in Honda, and that's not even the main reason; the windshield on my car has all sorts of subtle and not so subtle ripples and oily distortion in it and to my shock the other civics at the dealership I went to have it even worse. Dealer blew me off saying it's my eyes. There is a ton of glare and the interior rear view looks like a funhouse mirror as well. I'll post a thread about the glass issues.

If more people have this issue then it warrants a safety recall in my opinion.

Last edited:

dtccivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Day 19 of my car being in the shop. (Follow my adventures at http://hondacivicproblems.com/ )

Today I had to show the folks at the shop how to reproduce the error. But I think the real problem was that they didn't know how to swipe down to view the errors. The envelope with a red exclamation point is really terrible UI.

dtccivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Cumulative. I'm learning more about the laws here in California right now. I think they have to be for serious issues.

Almost 14 of those were to repair trunk hinges that were faulty/broken.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Just bought an LX last week (manufactured in Ontario in November '15 per the door panel info) and the tire pressure light popped up last night. Under 300 miles on the car. I thankfully don't have an infotainment system (I think touch screens and stuff like that is a terrible idea at anything faster than 0 mph) so I have an actual warning light. Will check it when I get out of bed. EDIT: checked this morning and the tires look fine on visual inspection. Light still on. Ugh.

I'm really disappointed in Honda, and that's not even the main reason; the windshield on my car has all sorts of subtle and not so subtle ripples and oily distortion in it and to my shock the other civics at the Rockville, MD dealership have it even worse. Dealer blew me off saying it's my eyes. There is a ton of glare and the interior rear view looks like a funhouse mirror as well. I'll post a thread about the glass issues.

I don't want to go through the headache of dealing with a lemon or trying to get the windshield replaced with equally bad glass so I'm just going to sell the car. If more people have this issue then it warrants a safety recall in my opinion.
1) Air your tires up using an accurate guage and then recalibrate the TPMS per the owner's manual - even out '12 Si does this once or twice a year and tire/s were low when it happened. It's more likely the dealer didn't do it, or didn't set the pressures, correctly - but why take the chance.
2) As you noticed the "bad windshields" on a number of Civics, consider getting your eyes checked - my wife has a condition that has a similar effect (she's never said "oily" but has the ripples and distortion.) She uses a graph called and Amsler's Grid to monitor the condition.

SourOnCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
I'll check the tires and see how to calibrate the TPMS. The tires upon this morning's visual inspection look perfectly fine but couldn't hurt to check. Regarding my eyes, I found a couple other people who have seen the "oily" distortion (coworker's exact words). I've never had this issue with any other car I've driven or owned. My prior car was a Mazda 6. I am considering the "bad eyes" angle (though I passed a couple of those chart tests you mentioned, albeit online just now), but for now I am chalking this up to weird angled/poor quality glass. In any case whatever condition I allegedly have is not compatible with the type of glass used in this car.

Last edited:

JediSkipdogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Well, my adventure was fun today. So I go in for...

Oil Change/Tire Rotation
TSB 16-22 (Radio Update)
Error messages on radio that came up Tuesday

They claim TSB 16-22 would probably fix that. Nope. Before I can even drive off the lot....5 error messages. I drive straight back in and don't even turn the car off and show them. This is the first time they have physically seen the error. All prior times have been pictures on my phone. They take it back, have a tech look at it, and say it's throwing voltage issues causing the errors to display. They figure it's because they didn't reset some computer after the software update. They reset it and bring it back and say I'm good to go.

What do you know, before I get off the lot, Brake System Failure. I turn around again in the lot, take it in and that message disappears and it shows Tire Pressure Low. They test all four tires, all are great. After all, I just had them do an oil change and they even reset the TMPS Calibration after I circled the lot the first time (as that was one of the errors.)

So, they give me a loaner and say they will give me a call. They finally called 2-3 hours later and say they are replacing the VSA Modulator again. They claim there is a new version out with new software that they cannot update so they have to replace the whole thing. They are freight overnighting it for $300 (I call BS as it's a small part and UPS next day is only about $50) and should have it replaced tomorrow.

I explained that this was the final chance as before driving in my car qualified as a lemon in Ohio. They begged me for one more try so I'll give it to them. However, after this, it's replace the car, no other options.

Oddly, they are still telling me what some on here are saying, those are error messages I can ignore and a true error will display in the instrument panel. I still don't believe that. Why would they even place those errors on there if they are just "additional" to the IC? No car doubles up on error messages. And if it is bogus, then why won't they sign a piece of paper stating my vehicle is 100% safe to drive if those errors come up and I can ignore them? It seems they think there is some issue.

I'll update more once I get it back again. But now it has four official documentations of the errors at the dealership (they didn't do a service order when I picked the car up the first time.)

dtccivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Other people have started contacting me on my website about the problems (http://hondacivicproblems.com). Check out and email me. I'm thinking of compiling a list of names of people who are having problems.

Today I went to the dealership to repro the problem yet again. What a waste of my time.
Sponsored