TPMS + ABS + Brake system + ACC freak out?

RockyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kia Optima SXL, 2015 Honda CRV EX, 2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2003 Lancer Evolution
Just told the car is all fixed and ready to go and that a software update cleared everything. Go out to the car and sure enough all messages are still there including a new one.

Honda Civic 10th gen TPMS + ABS + Brake system + ACC freak out? 20160426_134939
Sponsored

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Just told the car is all fixed and ready to go and that a software update cleared everything. Go out to the car and sure enough all messages are still there including a new one.

20160426_134939.jpg
Don't worry. It's all the same. As you can see its on the infotainment system. I had it pop up on me as well. I made a post as well there are a total of 6 errors that pop up. I uninstalled the Honda link apps on my iPhone. All of them. Reboot iPhone. Then reboot your infotainment system by holding the button for like 6 seconds. Then do the TPMS recalibration.

RockyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kia Optima SXL, 2015 Honda CRV EX, 2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2003 Lancer Evolution
Don't worry. It's all the same. As you can see its on the infotainment system. I had it pop up on me as well. I made a post as well there are a total of 6 errors that pop up. I uninstalled the Honda link apps on my iPhone. All of them. Reboot iPhone. Then reboot your infotainment system by holding the button for like 6 seconds. Then do the TPMS recalibration.
They are doing a complete factory reset of the entire car. They said you disconnect the battery and hold the positive and negative wires together for a determined amount of time. Not really sure about this but we'll see. I don't have any apps installed and dont have an iPhone.

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
They are doing a complete factory reset of the entire car. They said you disconnect the battery and hold the positive and negative wires together for a determined amount of time. Not really sure about this but we'll see. I don't have any apps installed and dont have an iPhone.
Well there were reports that it is in the Honda Link Apps on your smart phone that cause the errors. I never installed the app again and it never came back. My instance is when I put my car in accessory mode. That is precisely when all the errors popped up on my car.

RockyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So they reset the car and the infotainment system. all the errors are gone....for now. they said to always ask at each oil change to run the car for updates....

JediSkipdogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Ours is hitting 6 days since they replaced the VSA Modulator and is the longest it hasn't popped up. Some may say it's just the infotainment system messing up and that the dash will light up in a real error but is anyone sure? Then what is the purpose of the dash monitoring? I've had a major part fail on a vehicle and the check engine light never come on. So these seem like "extra" errors that are not monitored by the Check Engine System.

Also, it seems like Honda has had back luck with the VSA Modulators. After all, about 5 years ago they recalled 260,000+ vehicles due to bad modulators. Since we have not had the issue replicate in 6 days, I'm thinking that was the problem. If so, then it's not just a computer glitch and it's a real vehicle part glitch.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Ours is hitting 6 days since they replaced the VSA Modulator and is the longest it hasn't popped up. Some may say it's just the infotainment system messing up and that the dash will light up in a real error but is anyone sure? Then what is the purpose of the dash monitoring? I've had a major part fail on a vehicle and the check engine light never come on. So these seem like "extra" errors that are not monitored by the Check Engine System.

Also, it seems like Honda has had back luck with the VSA Modulators. After all, about 5 years ago they recalled 260,000+ vehicles due to bad modulators. Since we have not had the issue replicate in 6 days, I'm thinking that was the problem. If so, then it's not just a computer glitch and it's a real vehicle part glitch.
The malfunction indicator (check engine) light is linked to engine misfire and emissions systems only, not all the other parts of the car or safety systems.

RockyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Less than 24 hours later and all 5 messages are back. Let's say they try to fix this 4 or more times in NY. Does that mean it qualifies for the lemon law replacement?

JediSkipdogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
The malfunction indicator (check engine) light is linked to engine misfire and emissions systems only, not all the other parts of the car or safety systems.
Then what do people mean when they say the "cluster will light up" or "meter/DII will light up"? How is "Brake System Failure" not something someone should be concerned about and if there's a real brake system failure, where's it going to light up? I guess that's where I'm confused. As far as I'm concerned, if it comes back, I'm stopping the vehicle, calling the Honda Care, and having it towed in. And I'll do that every time it comes on.

Less than 24 hours later and all 5 messages are back. Let's say they try to fix this 4 or more times in NY. Does that mean it qualifies for the lemon law replacement?
Lemon laws vary by state so one would have to research those. I know when I had an issue on my Buick back in the day with the battery light always coming on we entered into "mediation" first. That was the first step of lemon law in Ohio and basically it's where one comes to a conclusion on how to handle the situation short of them taking it back and giving you a new one. In my case, I walked away with a lifetime battery and electrical system warranty. I was satisfied with that solution and gladly accepted it.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Then what do people mean when they say the "cluster will light up" or "meter/DII will light up"? How is "Brake System Failure" not something someone should be concerned about and if there's a real brake system failure, where's it going to light up? I guess that's where I'm confused.
What we mean is that there are a bunch of dedicated indicators in the cluster that are supposed to show detected faults in other parts of the car and its safety systems.

Honda Civic 10th gen TPMS + ABS + Brake system + ACC freak out? upload_2016-4-27_15-44-2

The thinking--and it may be wrong--is that the indicators here for these faults are more directly coupled to the systems in question and, without the interference of the redundant infotainment ability to display this stuff on the touchscreen, are more likely to be correct. In the absence of the dedicated indicator, at best appearance of the touchscreen indication is in conflict and, at worse, just erroneous. That's what we are assuming.

That's not to excuse the behavior of the infotainment system in this regard. Honda elected to make it capable of showing these messages. With that decision, they took on a high responsibility that they should agree with the dedicated indicators, for all the reasons you and others describe. At this they have failed.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
And, while I think you have a point and I have no problem with Honda having to pay to flatbed your car to the dealership for delivering it with crappy code and not fixing that code, I probably won't go that far. I am on record in this forum from my earliest posts that the only way to get the bad code fixed is to make it very painful for Honda not to fix it.

anckentucky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T Crystal Black Pearl
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What we mean is that there are a bunch of dedicated indicators in the cluster that are supposed to show detected faults in other parts of the car and its safety systems.

upload_2016-4-27_15-44-2.png

The thinking--and it may be wrong--is that the indicators here for these faults are more directly coupled to the systems in question and, without the interference of the redundant infotainment ability to display this stuff on the touchscreen, are more likely to be correct. In the absence of the dedicated indicator, at best appearance of the touchscreen indication is in conflict and, at worse, just erroneous. That's what we are assuming.

That's not to excuse the behavior of the infotainment system in this regard. Honda elected to make it capable of showing these messages. With that decision, they took on a high responsibility that they should agree with the dedicated indicators, for all the reasons you and others describe. At this they have failed.
Well I've had the problems pop up on my dash before, but went away and no problems with the car. Today though, the car started up just fine and every light on the cluster came on it seems. VSA problem, Anti-Lock brake system problem, Power steering system problem, brake hold system problem, brake system problem, electric parking brake problem, hill start assist problem (even though I have an ex-t?)... Not sure what to do from here as the dealer I purchased it from is about 30 miles from me. I drove the car across campus just fine. Tried turning it off and back on, but the errors still came up.

OP
OP
t3hub3rk1tten

t3hub3rk1tten

Threads
Reaction score
Website
mwe.st
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring MSM
Well I've had the problems pop up on my dash before, but went away and no problems with the car. Today though, the car started up just fine and every light on the cluster came on it seems. VSA problem, Anti-Lock brake system problem, Power steering system problem, brake hold system problem, brake system problem, electric parking brake problem, hill start assist problem (even though I have an ex-t?)... Not sure what to do from here as the dealer I purchased it from is about 30 miles from me. I drove the car across campus just fine. Tried turning it off and back on, but the errors still came up.
Lights on the cluster is a bit more concerning than the infotainment warnings! You can take it to any Honda dealer for warranty service if you want. You can also call the free Honda roadside assistance and tell them about it and they will probably come pick your car up and take it to a dealer.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well I've had the problems pop up on my dash before, but went away and no problems with the car. Today though, the car started up just fine and every light on the cluster came on it seems.
I'd not mess around with real lights on the dash, especially for brakes and steering. Honda Roadside Assistance: 1-866-864-5211.

Are these DII messages (see OM pgs 74-90 for systems with both)?
e.g.,
Honda Civic 10th gen TPMS + ABS + Brake system + ACC freak out? upload_2016-5-4_9-3-20

Or real lights?
e.g.,
Honda Civic 10th gen TPMS + ABS + Brake system + ACC freak out? upload_2016-5-4_9-3-36

The reason I ask is that the DII messages somehow have the infotainment involved. I don't think the real lights do. As noted above, Honda has failed if these ever disagree either way. But I'd believe the light if it shows and would tend to discount the message in the absence of the light--though that may not be wise on my part. If all these lights are lit up, it's probably some common electrical problem. There have been several reports of a cluster of issues that all work back to some kind of common grounding issue or similar.

All '16 Civics have Hill Start Assist.

Last edited:

anckentucky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T Crystal Black Pearl
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd not mess around with real lights on the dash, especially for brakes and steering. Honda Roadside Assistance: 1-866-864-5211.

Are these DII messages (see OM pgs 74-90 for systems with both)?
e.g.,
upload_2016-5-4_9-3-20.png

Or real lights?
e.g.,
upload_2016-5-4_9-3-36.png

The reason I ask is that the DII messages somehow have the infotainment involved. I don't think the real lights do. As noted above, Honda has failed if these ever disagree either way. But I'd believe the light if it shows and would tend to discount the message in the absence of the light--though that may not be wise on my part. If all these lights are lit up, it's probably some common electrical problem. There have been several reports of a cluster of issues that all work back to some kind of common grounindg issue or similar.

All '16 Civics have Hill Start Assist.
I drove it to the dealership. There is really nothing wrong with the car drivability wise. It drove just fine like it has since the day I bought it. I'm at the dealership now. The hood doesn't sit flush and these error messages are getting checked out, it did start making a clicking noise behind the steering wheel area on the drive here. They are going to check it out too. I'll let you guys know what happens.

Here's the video of the issues:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y7r2zi1aa9x2zgm/IMG_9015.MOV.mov?dl=0
Sponsored