TPMS + ABS + Brake system + ACC freak out?

dtccivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Country flag
WHOA.... so this is real problem after all? Holy moley.

Do all dealers give loaners? What's the policy?

Damnit... the dealer where I bought the car is a 1+ hour drive. The one nearest me is 15 minutes away, but is ghetto/shady. :(

Does the computer keep track of all the instances of these errors? Or do I need to whip out photos to prove them?
Sponsored

JediSkipdogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Not sure if they all give loaners or not. The first time the dealership did not offer me one. They said since I was bringing it in for the same problem again and they knew it would take them a while, they offered me one. It would be a call and ask type thing.

I'm told the computer does under they do a reset on it, then they wipe them all out. Which is what they did the first time. The first appointment they saw the history and had actual factory codes they could pull out. When they reset the main computer (what they said) then it wiped them all out. I'm not sure how long it keeps them for though. I'll see if they can tell me anymore tomorrow when I go back to exchange loaners. They gave me a gray interior when I have a 4 year old daughter. Not going to be picky, but in 30 days there is no way that is staying clean. LOL

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Well, I finally took it back in to the dealer today for this issue after it appearing over 100 times since the last time we had it there. We have photos of every time it popped up. After them having the car for 8 hours they said the Advance Vehicle Computer was throwing voltage errors. They said this controls the ABS and Stability Control just to name a few. They said the car is safe to drive and is working fine but if I wanted to keep their loaner I could. I told them I would let them know tomorrow which is where I'm going to play hard ball...

They said the part isn't available until May 15th as it's on backorder. They don't even know if my order would be filled or not but they placed it as a priority. I still laugh that they asked me if I wanted my vehicle back. Do they really think someone would want a vehicle where the main safety features of the vehicle are controlled and it's causing issues throwing other systems out of whack?

So now I go unload the car tomorrow and drive a loaner for the next month. Sure, it may be annoying, but they seemed to think it was funny when I said I'd own the dealership for ignoring a message that says I have a low tire pressure or brake failure since it has boy who cried wolf syndrome.
So you don't have an iPhone with the Honda App? If so delete the app. Also I had this as well my iphone app triggered it. I deleted the app. Restarted head unit and restarted iPhone, I then reset the tire recalibration for TPMS. The errors I got were six of them including a charging issue and abs and a bunch of others.
I am guessing you checked this out maybe.
Hope it helps. If not I hope they find the issue.

dtccivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Did you have to bring your
Not sure if they all give loaners or not. The first time the dealership did not offer me one. They said since I was bringing it in for the same problem again and they knew it would take them a while, they offered me one. It would be a call and ask type thing.
Did you bring your car 100 times or something? I'm wondering how you got them to take you seriously.

OP
OP
t3hub3rk1tten

t3hub3rk1tten

Threads
Reaction score
Website
mwe.st
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring MSM
Well, I finally took it back in to the dealer today for this issue after it appearing over 100 times since the last time we had it there. We have photos of every time it popped up. After them having the car for 8 hours they said the Advance Vehicle Computer was throwing voltage errors. They said this controls the ABS and Stability Control just to name a few. They said the car is safe to drive and is working fine but if I wanted to keep their loaner I could. I told them I would let them know tomorrow which is where I'm going to play hard ball...

They said the part isn't available until May 15th as it's on backorder. They don't even know if my order would be filled or not but they placed it as a priority. I still laugh that they asked me if I wanted my vehicle back. Do they really think someone would want a vehicle where the main safety features of the vehicle are controlled and it's causing issues throwing other systems out of whack?

So now I go unload the car tomorrow and drive a loaner for the next month. Sure, it may be annoying, but they seemed to think it was funny when I said I'd own the dealership for ignoring a message that says I have a low tire pressure or brake failure since it has boy who cried wolf syndrome.
I really do believe that it's safe to drive. From every report and my own experience it just seems to be a minor glitch that gives errors. You know you don't have low tire pressure, you know your brakes work. Your battery isn't dead, so your charging system is working. You can always test if VSA/ABS is working with a wet road or a puddle. :) It's also a good sign that the errors go away, maybe it's just a temporary drop in voltage.

Interesting that they say it's a voltage error too. My car, I can cause it by going from ACC to ON. Of course that's when voltage dips in the car electrics. That Advance Vehicle Computer must be on when the car is in ACC.

You should ask them how they know the voltage errors aren't real, did they measure it themselves when the errors were thrown? What if there's actually a problem with the electrics?

Did you have to bring your

Did you bring your car 100 times or something? I'm wondering how you got them to take you seriously.
He said he took photos of it every time it came up.

JediSkipdogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
No iPhones here. Both me and my girl have Android phones with the app.

I did show them every photo. I simply swiped through them all. Evidence is key to a successful issue. I think they took me serious when I said I didn't know how to trust the computer. I asked them to write up that the car was safe to drive and that they would accept any and all liability from it but they refused.

Until I know what the issue is, I never believe it is safe to drive. Is it safe? It may be. But anything that involves a major safety system of the vehicle I don't trust the reliability of it. And the messages would come and go at random. How do I know that the brakes really aren't bad when the message comes up? Or a low tire when the TPMS message comes up? If they would have accepted liability, then they would have agreed it was 100% safe. They refused so I take it they aren't saying it is 100% safe.

I did get them to speed up the replacement. I went in today with our loaner to exchange it out for one with a black interior. Kids + barn + gray interior are not a good combination. They didn't have any with a black and I said I could not guarantee it wouldn't come back dirty. The said not their problem.....wrong answer. So I asked for the service manager. Guess what, part will be here on Thursday and my car will be ready then. Amazing how one goes from the part is backordered till May 15th and they don't know where I am in line to it will be here in 2 days.

Persistence is all I have to say. I did ask how they determined the errors and they said they somehow can read all the computers at once and they recorded when the messages came up and saw what caused it. I'm hoping they are right.

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
No iPhones here. Both me and my girl have Android phones with the app.

I did show them every photo. I simply swiped through them all. Evidence is key to a successful issue. I think they took me serious when I said I didn't know how to trust the computer. I asked them to write up that the car was safe to drive and that they would accept any and all liability from it but they refused.

Until I know what the issue is, I never believe it is safe to drive. Is it safe? It may be. But anything that involves a major safety system of the vehicle I don't trust the reliability of it. And the messages would come and go at random. How do I know that the brakes really aren't bad when the message comes up? Or a low tire when the TPMS message comes up? If they would have accepted liability, then they would have agreed it was 100% safe. They refused so I take it they aren't saying it is 100% safe.

I did get them to speed up the replacement. I went in today with our loaner to exchange it out for one with a black interior. Kids + barn + gray interior are not a good combination. They didn't have any with a black and I said I could not guarantee it wouldn't come back dirty. The said not their problem.....wrong answer. So I asked for the service manager. Guess what, part will be here on Thursday and my car will be ready then. Amazing how one goes from the part is backordered till May 15th and they don't know where I am in line to it will be here in 2 days.

Persistence is all I have to say. I did ask how they determined the errors and they said they somehow can read all the computers at once and they recorded when the messages came up and saw what caused it. I'm hoping they are right.
Keep us posted. I'm curious. I hope it does fix the issue. I had the iPhone issue. Which triggers all of the same things but since you stated you didn't have iPhones then I agree with you 100%. No one, not even here on the forums can tell you that it is just a 'glitch'. Not when your family is involved. Make them fix it! And don't give in. Good job. Keep us posted.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
My car just started to pop up with the 5 errors. I been just resetting the app to clear it. Hopefully a fix comes out soon

JediSkipdogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Keep us posted. I'm curious. I hope it does fix the issue. I had the iPhone issue. Which triggers all of the same things but since you stated you didn't have iPhones then I agree with you 100%. No one, not even here on the forums can tell you that it is just a 'glitch'. Not when your family is involved. Make them fix it! And don't give in. Good job. Keep us posted.
I picked the car back up today. They replaced the VSA Modulator. I googled that and it seems like Honda has actually had this problem since at least 2009 with that exact part causing random errors. They even had a major recall on that part with prior generations of Hondas. We'll see how it works and if it fixed the issue or not. They drove it for 13 miles and said it didn't come up. Well, unfortunately for us we could go a day or two without it, then one day it would show up every time we drove the vehicle. And between me and the misses, that's a lot.

J1x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I picked the car back up today. They replaced the VSA Modulator. I googled that and it seems like Honda has actually had this problem since at least 2009 with that exact part causing random errors. They even had a major recall on that part with prior generations of Hondas. We'll see how it works and if it fixed the issue or not. They drove it for 13 miles and said it didn't come up. Well, unfortunately for us we could go a day or two without it, then one day it would show up every time we drove the vehicle. And between me and the misses, that's a lot.

Any updates on this issue? I just had this happened to me today and I am just wondering if I should take it in. Would any dealership know the issue? It seems like this only affects a few. Hopefully someone can chime in.

RockyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kia Optima SXL, 2015 Honda CRV EX, 2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2003 Lancer Evolution
Just happened to me today. 2016 EX-T Sedan with 600 miles. Had the car for 13 days...this is Honda number 30 for my immediate family. Never had any issues in the past. I'm a little bummed about it to be honest. They claim they have never seen anything like this ever....now I'm in their 2015 EX loaner.

Honda Civic 10th gen TPMS + ABS + Brake system + ACC freak out? PhotoGrid_1461687286902

OP
OP
t3hub3rk1tten

t3hub3rk1tten

Threads
Reaction score
Website
mwe.st
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring MSM
Just happened to me today. 2016 EX-T Sedan with 600 miles. Had the car for 13 days...this is Honda number 30 for my immediate family. Never had any issues in the past. I'm a little bummed about it to be honest. They claim they have never seen anything like this ever....now I'm in their 2015 EX loaner.
Just want to clarify for everyone new to this thread: this has been around since early December, and has not caused any problems. They're just spurious warnings. Go by the warning lights on the meter (DII), they are more accurate.

Honda most likely knows about it, so unless they come up with a TSB, or someone's dealer figures out a part to replace to fix it, there's not much use worrying about it.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Just want to clarify for everyone new to this thread: this has been around since early December, and has not caused any problems. They're just spurious warnings. Go by the warning lights on the meter (DII), they are more accurate.

Honda most likely knows about it, so unless they come up with a TSB, or someone's dealer figures out a part to replace to fix it, there's not much use worrying about it.
Multiple - unrelated warning are one thing, if you're familiar with them and the "cause".
But, I'd worry about it if any are related - what happens when it's for real? Each of these "issues" disables the same safety feature (ABS and I believe ESC) and reduces the safety of the car.
I'd not be happy to let my wife or kids drive around with these warnings firing off randomly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
t3hub3rk1tten

t3hub3rk1tten

Threads
Reaction score
Website
mwe.st
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring MSM
I'd worry about it - what happens when it's for real? I'd not be happy to let my wife or kids drive around with these warnings firing off randomly.
When it's for real, the lights on the meter/DII will light up. That's the primary source of information. The HU displaying errors is an additional feature that is apparently messed up.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
what happens when it's for real? Each of these "issues" disables the same safety feature (ABS and I believe ESC) and reduces the safety of the car.
I'm betting when it's for real, the light on the cluster will light up. No evidence that these spurious infotainment messages actually accompanied anything being disabled. Not defending it. Software is broken somewhere. Just trying to add some context, as I think @t3hub3rk1tten was trying to do.
Sponsored