Country flag
Last edited:

LURK-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch
Country flag
To think how many '19 FK8 feathers were ruffled with the '20 updates. Imagine if Honda had revised the '20 with 350 HP and an engine that didn't overheat on the track. It would be wild in here! Such a good read over at supramkv.

OP
OP
PandaXpress

PandaXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX-T with Honda Sensing
Country flag
The 2020 for the Type R is a mid cycle refresh so i think its ok

But to do a major upgrade in the engine and suspension for the second year is kind of a slap in the face lol

I was looking into the supra for the longest time and glad I didn't. I might pick up the 2020s when the 21s come out

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
Am I the only one excited for the 4-cyl model? 255hp and lighter weight? Sounds like something worth keeping an eye on as a used model... if it depreciates like the BMW it is rather than like a Toyota, picking one up in a few years in the $20k's would be awesome

OP
OP
PandaXpress

PandaXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX-T with Honda Sensing
Country flag
i am thinking of the 2.0 too but it only comes with single piston brakes and no active Differential and Adaptive Suspension....

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Might be smart on their part. Assuming we donā€™t all die from old age, Nissan might be putting some competition their way with a 400 hp vr30ddtt powered variant of a new Z car thatā€™s been heavily and recently rumored to hit late 2021/2022. For a $40-60k sports car, this and the corvette or some used/entry porches are the only cars that really come to mind. Their first run engines sounded pretty underrated. I wonder if the bump on paper will be as much as reality if you were to dyno a ā€˜20 and ā€˜21 back to back. A new twin turbo 300z(x) claiming 400 hp has a number that... better or functionally faster than a Supra or not, would make for number-winning bragging rights over the ā€˜20 Supraā€™s numbers.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They definitely should've put a MT option in the 2.0T. It's only saving grace is that new car wise (only looking at RWD coupes that aren't more than $40K), the BRZ and Miata both have less HP (but both can be had with a stick). There's CPO BMW 2 series that also could be attractive as competition.

If you go outside RWD coupes.. stuff like the Veloster N, Type R, etc. becomes an interesting choice to cross-shop as well.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
2.0T @ 255 hp? Probably underrated like the 3.0T. Should give the 2020 CTR a run for its money (~$40k).

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They definitely should've put a MT option in the 2.0T. It's only saving grace is that new car wise (only looking at RWD coupes that aren't more than $40K), the BRZ and Miata both have less HP (but both can be had with a stick). There's CPO BMW 2 series that also could be attractive as competition.

If you go outside RWD coupes.. stuff like the Veloster N, Type R, etc. becomes an interesting choice to cross-shop as well.
The Z is supposed to come in manual even the Infiniti variants with that engine are auto-only. With the Vette also being auto only... I donā€™t know what other manual sports cars that arenā€™t muscle cars will be left in that price range that arenā€™t lower powered models.

I know Iā€™m Zing it up... but if Nissan can actually put it out their nose dive and pull off another lineup like the early 90s... or even the post-Lancia buyout that turned a great lineup in the early 00s. Theyā€™ve had a stagnant brand of funky looking cars using aging powertrains. I know they just came out with the variable compression engine in the mainstream... but havenā€™t gotten a chance to try one. Thereā€™s very little to get me back on their dealership. Probably the last thing I checked out was cross shopping their competitor (the Quest I think?) to the Odyssey when I got that... and it was far inferior to the Odyssey, Sienna and Caravan/Town and Country IMO. Nissan is going to have a make or break decade through the 2020s.

Iā€™m a Z guy through and through... and would like to finally see a Z car that is competitive with the other similarly priced vehicles that fulfill a similar role. The 350z did for a little while, then the competition trounced it. The 370z really failed to be a drastic improvement... and has an interior little better than the ā€˜07 Xterra I had.

I was really hoping the Supra would be a great car with massive sales that would make them put some money and love in designing a new Z car seeing a market still existed. They sold less than 2500 370zs in all of 2019. I donā€™t know why they even make the damn thing anymore. But good Supra sales and a lot of press might bring back a return of an era where we had Supras, 300zxs, 3000GTs, Stealths and RX7s all being sold at competing car lots. The only sports car out that interests me today is a Corvette. Iā€™m going to be retiring from the navy here in just a few more years. Iā€™m supposed to blow a bunch of money on a mid-life crisis sport car as I start my next career... I hope the sport car landscape is better than it is now.

blackdiamond

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 EX Hatchie
Country flag
I was told you never buy the first year, because the next will have the problems the first had corrected.

SouthSideBeef

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GR86
Country flag
Damn, looks like the thread was deleted already. I don't think adding 47 hp is that big of a deal only because the 2020 was so clearly underrated. But the hp increase combined with all the smaller tweaks kinda does suck for 2020MY owners. Still hoping it gets a stick at some point in its lifecycle.

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
i am thinking of the 2.0 too but it only comes with single piston brakes and no active Differential and Adaptive Suspension....
To me, lack of adaptive suspension means cheaper to swap out for aftermarket. And as long as the dif is LSD Iā€™d be fine with it, I donā€™t want active dif. The brakes are the only feature you mentioned Iā€™d really want.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Z is supposed to come in manual even the Infiniti variants with that engine are auto-only. With the Vette also being auto only... I donā€™t know what other manual sports cars that arenā€™t muscle cars will be left in that price range that arenā€™t lower powered models.

I know Iā€™m Zing it up... but if Nissan can actually put it out their nose dive and pull off another lineup like the early 90s... or even the post-Lancia buyout that turned a great lineup in the early 00s. Theyā€™ve had a stagnant brand of funky looking cars using aging powertrains. I know they just came out with the variable compression engine in the mainstream... but havenā€™t gotten a chance to try one. Thereā€™s very little to get me back on their dealership. Probably the last thing I checked out was cross shopping their competitor (the Quest I think?) to the Odyssey when I got that... and it was far inferior to the Odyssey, Sienna and Caravan/Town and Country IMO. Nissan is going to have a make or break decade through the 2020s.

Iā€™m a Z guy through and through... and would like to finally see a Z car that is competitive with the other similarly priced vehicles that fulfill a similar role. The 350z did for a little while, then the competition trounced it. The 370z really failed to be a drastic improvement... and has an interior little better than the ā€˜07 Xterra I had.

I was really hoping the Supra would be a great car with massive sales that would make them put some money and love in designing a new Z car seeing a market still existed. They sold less than 2500 370zs in all of 2019. I donā€™t know why they even make the damn thing anymore. But good Supra sales and a lot of press might bring back a return of an era where we had Supras, 300zxs, 3000GTs, Stealths and RX7s all being sold at competing car lots. The only sports car out that interests me today is a Corvette. Iā€™m going to be retiring from the navy here in just a few more years. Iā€™m supposed to blow a bunch of money on a mid-life crisis sport car as I start my next career... I hope the sport car landscape is better than it is now.
Hey man, I love the Z cars too. My favorite Fast and Furious movie is Tokyo Drift and when I was younger I had an absolute obsession with the 350Z (and later on, 370Z) because of that movie. Unfortunately I couldn't get one as a first car because my parents said no way in hell...

It saddens me how far Nissan has fallen, but at least they are showing SOME signs of life after the Ghosn bullcrap with their nice redesigns of the Altima and Sentra. What would be great is the VC Turbo motor in the Sentra, as a NISMO, with a manual... Civic Si competitor right there.