Touring Windshield Replacement recalibration

Daniel776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
On Thursday I was driving down the highway and a little rock hit my windshield and it created a little crack. I called Speedy Glass and they gave me a quote for $1500. Today I dropped off my car and they told me they were going to replace the windshield ($1000) and do the recalibration ($500). I got a call in the afternoon and they told me that the recalibration couldn't be done because Honda's are complicated and that I should go to my dealer. I called my Honda dealer (where I leased my car) and they quoted me $657.

Has anyone in Canada (Ontario) had this done at a cheaper cost, I don't want to go to Honda and pay $657 for something Speedy couldn't do, but charged $150 less.

Thanks!

Honda Civic 10th gen Touring Windshield Replacement recalibration IMG_4079

Honda Civic 10th gen Touring Windshield Replacement recalibration IMG_4084

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’m not surprised about the recalibration fee but am shocked at the cost of the windshield replacement itself.

Goseki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Touring
Country flag
Do you have insurance? Might be worth it for the windshield unless your deductible is $1500

OP
OP
Daniel776

Daniel776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Do you have insurance? Might be worth it for the windshield unless your deductible is $1500
Of course! My deductible is 1000 I pay for the rest. The windshield got replaced fine, it’s now just the recalibration of the sensing

Porsche tech

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Odyssey EX-L, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I had my windshield in my 2016 Touring replaced shortly after I got the car. In the states, most states have a requirement that the insurance companies have no deductible on glass (here in SC included). The insurance co sent Safelite to my house and I was told I'd have to take it to their shop because it needed to be recalibrated after the replacement. They installed the factory Honda glass (for far less than you quoted and billed the insurance co 100%). They quoted me $200 on the recalibration then said they didn't have the equipment to do it??? Went to the dealer for the calibration and it was $115. The insurance co (GEICO) then reimbursed me for that too. Bottom line, no charge. Your mileage may vary.

OP
OP
Daniel776

Daniel776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I had my windshield in my 2016 Touring replaced shortly after I got the car. In the states, most states have a requirement that the insurance companies have no deductible on glass (here in SC included). The insurance co sent Safelite to my house and I was told I'd have to take it to their shop because it needed to be recalibrated after the replacement. They installed the factory Honda glass (for far less than you quoted and billed the insurance co 100%). They quoted me $200 on the recalibration then said they didn't have the equipment to do it??? Went to the dealer for the calibration and it was $115. The insurance co (GEICO) then reimbursed me for that too. Bottom line, no charge. Your mileage may vary.
Lucky you!! I guess in the US things are different. I have State Farm and they didn’t cover anything like that. They will cover anything after my deductible but if I use their recommended vendors. In my case, Speedy couldn’t do it, so if I do go with Honda, I would have to call the claims department and find out IF they cover it. I would drive across the border but idk if Honda would service my car, $115 would be a steal lol.

Thanks for the feedback!

Justinus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None.
What the heck is this recalibration you guys are referring to? Is it for the honda sense equipment or something else?

mjdecker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Si Sedan, '23 Subaru BRZ Limited
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What the heck is this recalibration you guys are referring to? Is it for the honda sense equipment or something else?
Yes, it's part of the sensing. I had a rock chip in my Si a few months ago. Safelite came out and attempted their epoxy repair and ended up cracking it further. When they came out with a replacement windshield, the one they had was for the sensing and they needed to order the correct one (at least they tried the more expensive one vs cheaper one first). Three attempts later I finally got my windshield replaced.

FC1E5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Sometimes you need to recalibrate the windshield radar, sometimes you don’t. Take a chance, worst case you’ll have to go to a Honda dealer to get it done. Should be 1.0hr labor.

Brisco

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic Touring
Country flag
Sometimes you need to recalibrate the windshield radar, sometimes you don’t. Take a chance, worst case you’ll have to go to a Honda dealer to get it done. Should be 1.0hr labor.
Please don't listen to this post. It is very very very bad advice.
Sponsored