Touring Tweeter Upgrade

Honda Hopeful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I suspect there is no convention for wire color. For the front woofers in my Si sedan, blue was positive on the driver's side and purple on the passenger side. An easier way is that the right hand wire of the connector (viewed from the top) is positive. See the corresponding photos below and how the Metra adapter actually had the polarities reversed.

For the tweeters, I confirmed with a multimeter but don't recall the colors. Sorry.

Polarity may not matter if all of your speakers are wired the same. If you wire some positive to positive and some positive to negative, it will make a difference. If you can't figure out the polarities, just be consistent with your wiring for every speaker.

Honda Civic 10th gen Touring Tweeter Upgrade 314F25F3-6EE2-47B0-8A3A-B967CE01B556

Honda Civic 10th gen Touring Tweeter Upgrade 8EADDFD3-D244-467A-9870-92AB64AC8516

LegendaryElite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX w/ Sensing
Country flag
can someone please tell me which is positive and which one is negative for speakers? i see green and blue wires... I saw a video where it says that it doesn't matter in case of 2016+ civics, is that true ?
Search for "green" in this thread suggests that green is +, and blue is -. Different trims seem to have different color code, so better test with a multimeter is you have access to one.

Brisco

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic Touring
Country flag
I've found the Touring "premium" tweeter to sound harsh and unpleasant. Ordered a Hertz Dieci Dt24 that turned out easier to install than I thought. http://amazon.com/Hertz-DT-24-3-Dieci-Dt24/dp/B00DZJ5ICS?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Once you get the door sail off and unplug the speaker connector, the old tweeter pops out by pushing in two plastic latches.

The Hertz flush-mount tweeters fit in nicely to the door sail. Used some hot glue to secure in place. I pushed the tinned speaker wires into the Honda connector (couldn't find an adapter to fit the very-small tweeter connectors). They fit tight enough to make a good connection and I put a dab of hot glue to secure wires to connector. Be sure and trim the tinned connector enough so that no bare wire is showing when pushed in.

Of course you don't need to use the Hertz crossovers since that is handled by the Touring amp that has a separate output for each tweeter.

Wiring Color Code:
Front Right Tweeter: + is light green and - is pink
Front Left Tweeter: + is yellow and - is grey.

Took about 20 min. in total.

This is a nice upgrade that smooths out the harshness and creates a much better sense of presence and air compared to the old tweeters. While the photo makes it look off-center, it really isn't. Easy to get it perfectly centered in door sail.

IMG_0213.JPG
I was looking into these also. They appear to be a popular upgrade. I found some at
https://extremeelectronics.ca/colle...rs/products/hertz-dieci-1-tweeters-pair-dt243

Can anyone tell me if this is a good price? Basically $75 after taxes and free shipping. Has anyone done any sort of comparison? I’m not going to change the factory amp or HU.

eberrong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
I was looking into these also. They appear to be a popular upgrade. I found some at
https://extremeelectronics.ca/colle...rs/products/hertz-dieci-1-tweeters-pair-dt243

Can anyone tell me if this is a good price? Basically $75 after taxes and free shipping. Has anyone done any sort of comparison? I’m not going to change the factory amp or HU.
I paid $50 on Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DZJ5ICS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I found these to be way too loud in comparison to the rest of the stock system. You may want to try the supplied crossover out before putting everything back together. Or consider adding an L-Pad (passive speaker attenuator) which makes the tweeter volume fully adjustable.

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I suspect there is no convention for wire color. For the front woofers in my Si sedan, blue was positive on the driver's side and purple on the passenger side. An easier way is that the right hand wire of the connector (viewed from the top) is positive. See the corresponding photos below and how the Metra adapter actually had the polarities reversed.

For the tweeters, I confirmed with a multimeter but don't recall the colors. Sorry.

Polarity may not matter if all of your speakers are wired the same. If you wire some positive to positive and some positive to negative, it will make a difference. If you can't figure out the polarities, just be consistent with your wiring for every speaker.

314F25F3-6EE2-47B0-8A3A-B967CE01B556.jpeg

8EADDFD3-D244-467A-9870-92AB64AC8516.jpeg
I have been wondering why my new components seem to sound off as I used the metra connectors and trusted they got the wiring right.

How do you use a multi-meter to check the wires for polarity? There is so much info going around and some of it seems to be contradicting...

Honda Hopeful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I have been wondering why my new components seem to sound off as I used the metra connectors and trusted they got the wiring right.

How do you use a multi-meter to check the wires for polarity? There is so much info going around and some of it seems to be contradicting...
Put the multimeter in DC Voltage mode. Turn on the radio (play something). Touch the meter leads to the wires. When the positive lead is touching the positive line and the negative lead touching the negative line, the meter will read positive voltage. If the meter reads negative voltage, the wires are reversed.

Make sure you don't accidentally have the positive and negative speaker wires touch when the stereo is playing, though. That'll be a short and will blow a fuse or worse.

Last edited:

jscm

First Name
sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I thought I'd share my tweeter install here. this and dynamat on the doors seem to make the sound so much fuller on my civic si.

Honda Civic 10th gen Touring Tweeter Upgrade 20180908_113829

Honda Civic 10th gen Touring Tweeter Upgrade 20180908_113832

Honda Civic 10th gen Touring Tweeter Upgrade 20180908_113848

Honda Civic 10th gen Touring Tweeter Upgrade 20180908_123122

Honda Civic 10th gen Touring Tweeter Upgrade 20180908_123136

vikz99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX, 2015 Honda Pilot EX-L, 2015 Nissan 370Z Nismo
Country flag
Hey I wanted to upgrade my tweeters to the same kickers, wondering how harsh they are To the ears?

jscm

First Name
sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey I wanted to upgrade my tweeters to the same kickers, wondering how harsh they are To the ears?
In my car, without using the kickers supplied crossover, they make the sound louder and clearer. but with the crossover, its much softer compare to stock but still sounds clear IMO. I wonder if the stock amp has built in HPF going to the stock tweeter as I didnt see anything like a capacitor on the stock tweeter itself and when adding the crossovers to the kicker tweeters, they quiet them down as it doubles the filters.

vikz99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My stock tweeters have a capacitor on them. I ordered the same set as yours, will install once I receive them.

Gael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring Coupé 2017
Country flag
Hi all

I have installed Focal 1.5” tweeters in my 2017 Touring Coupé.

https://www.focal.com/sites/www.foc...document/universal_twu1.5-technical_sheet.pdf

I didn’t need to cut into the panel or glue at this point - the size of the hole is just enough for the tweeters to fit.

Only thing I had to do was to cut the audio wires as I couldn’t find the right adapter anywhere on the internet.

Honda Civic 10th gen Touring Tweeter Upgrade 95F196B4-2396-4F63-8A13-05042911BE80

Honda Civic 10th gen Touring Tweeter Upgrade 2CAFEF38-F490-4747-95F3-650A1AA500EB

Honda Civic 10th gen Touring Tweeter Upgrade 88F52207-3370-4F60-8785-42F087258128

vikz99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
In my car, without using the kickers supplied crossover, they make the sound louder and clearer. but with the crossover, its much softer compare to stock but still sounds clear IMO. I wonder if the stock amp has built in HPF going to the stock tweeter as I didnt see anything like a capacitor on the stock tweeter itself and when adding the crossovers to the kicker tweeters, they quiet them down as it doubles the filters.
I agree with you. Got them today, and without crossover their definitely loud and crisp. A little too much for my ears. With the crossover, much softer and very clear. As for installation, did you have the trim the stock housing to fit it in?

Royalz_2o9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Touring Sedan
Country flag
the polk cups just so happen to be perfect to anyone feeling like the highs are to high use the crossovers they come with made a world of difference I did it both ways for door panel on off I highly recommend taking them off its extremely easy and makes install way way easier to do I can help ya with the polks there are a few steps involved you have to pop off the factory trim garnish inside the actual triangle pod then trim a tiny bit off them to get cup in snug then use hardware to polish it off. They really match stock colors nicely they look really clean and sound great. Any other questions don't hesitate to ask :) sorry for taking so long to reply I didn't see this post
Brother thanks for your help, so i have a 2017 touring sedan and i know they are crossed over at the amp correct? so do i need the polk crossover? one more thing what will i need to trim off the pod?

Royalz_2o9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Touring Sedan
Country flag
Just completed this exact install for my 2017 CTR. It is a dramatic improvement. The songs have more clarity, they no longer sound like its being muffled. Thanks for the recommendation.
Your car comes with the premium sound correct? the amp and sub? if so did you need the crossover for the tweeters or did you use the one built into the amp??
thank you ;)

Brisco

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic Touring
Country flag
Thanks for the Hertz recommendation. They sound great. Major improvement.

I used the terminals on the original tweeters to make my own adapter...
IMG_2240.JPG
Is it safe to say the red is positive in this picture?
Sponsored