Touring Tweeter Upgrade

megaphone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR R-16412
Country flag
For anyone looking at getting the Focal ISS 165, here a few tips to know before you start (so it doesn't take 3 trips to the store like I had to do);
  • Have a Dremel as you will need to shave a decent amount off the factory tweeter shroud in order for the tweeters to fit (they are 1.5" tweeters)
  • Wires will not jam into the factory plug, as legendary has done, you must cut and strip some of the factory wire. I went to Lowes and bought a wire terminal kit to connect the two wires as I have no means to solder
  • The woofer must be mounted with the screws at 12, 3, 6 & 9. The speaker adapter unfortunately has holes at 1:30, 4:30, 7:30 & 10:30, you will need to drill into the speaker adapter
  • Focal supplies you #8 1" screws for the woofers, these are too long. I used stainless steel #8 3/4" screws!
  • It is a preference, but I went out and bought foam tape to apply to the speaker adapter so the plastic wasn't directly on the door frame.
I know this is mainly to replace tweeters, but if anyone wants to ask any further questions don't hesitate to ask about the component set I just installed.
Just finished it 10 min ago so I don't have an accurate review for the set just yet. Thanks for everyone's help! I will add some pictures later.

Honda Civic 10th gen Touring Tweeter Upgrade A8DDE601-F635-412B-9777-E5F7E8120F4B

Honda Civic 10th gen Touring Tweeter Upgrade E3826557-A64D-4587-9316-90318C96160A

Honda Civic 10th gen Touring Tweeter Upgrade B424988A-F821-4E25-AC4B-F189BAC85026

eberrong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
I just finished the Hertz DT 24.3 tweeter upgrade for the Civic Touring Sedan. I can definitely hear more high frequency detail now. The stock tweeters were clearly garbage. Is there a way to turn down the volume of the front tweeters (without the EQ). When the volume is past 15 or so the tweeters seem way out of balance with the other speakers.

Honda Civic 10th gen Touring Tweeter Upgrade IMG_1058

Brisco

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic Touring
Country flag
So you don’t want to use your HU EQ to back of the highs? Did you have to install the crossover or did one come with it?

eberrong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So you don’t want to use your HU EQ to back of the highs? Did you have to install the crossover or did one come with it?
I tried the HU EQ but even with the highs turned all the way down...the tweeters still seem too loud. Based on the comments here I did not install the crossover (the tweeters did come with optional passive crossovers). Maybe it would be worth a try to add the crossover.

Honda Hopeful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
For anyone looking at getting the Focal ISS 165, here a few tips to know before you start
Nice post! I just finished the last of my Focal install this evening (rear coax ISC-165) and did the fronts (ISS-165) last week. Wish I'd seen your post beforehand; woulda saved me some annoyance with those extra long screws!

The only thing I'll add is that the Metra woofer speaker wire adapters reverse polarity vs stock on an Si. So the black wire on the Metra with the negative sized speaker crimp connector was actually connecting to positive from the car. I verified with all four woofers using a multimeter. Luckily I did have soldering equipment... See pic below; blue was positive. Note, if all your woofers are wired out of phase... I'm not sure it makes a difference. The issue I'm aware of is when different speakers are opposite... Which results in some of the bass getting cancelled out.

Honda Civic 10th gen Touring Tweeter Upgrade 36E6F290-A9D7-46DA-A155-2BC34849B343

megaphone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR R-16412
Country flag
Nice post! I just finished the last of my Focal install this evening (rear coax ISC-165) and did the fronts (ISS-165) last week. Wish I'd seen your post beforehand; woulda saved me some annoyance with those extra long screws!

The only thing I'll add is that the Metra woofer speaker wire adapters reverse polarity vs stock on an Si. So the black wire on the Metra with the negative sized speaker crimp connector was actually connecting to positive from the car. I verified with all four woofers using a multimeter. Luckily I did have soldering equipment... See pic below; blue was positive. Note, if all your woofers are wired out of phase... I'm not sure it makes a difference. The issue I'm aware of is when different speakers are opposite... Which results in some of the bass getting cancelled out.
Yeah those long screws were icing on the cake for everything we had to modify in order to get these Focals to work lol. I am hoping that is not the case with the Type R (I am sure it is) but I haven't noticed anything odd, I have more bass now then I did with the stock speakers that's for sure.
I think I have a ground loop somewhere as my tweeters make a slight humming noise that gets louder based on engine RPM. Looks like I will be taking the tweeter sails off again to wrap the wires in more electrical tape.

Wxguru

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring x2
Country flag
Might try a ferrite coil instead of more electrical tape. I had that happen on some LED fog lights I had on my last truck. It caused an issue in the radio. Radio was picking up noise from the lines. Installed ferrite coils and no more issues.

megaphone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR R-16412
Country flag
Might try a ferrite coil instead of more electrical tape. I had that happen on some LED fog lights I had on my last truck. It caused an issue in the radio. Radio was picking up noise from the lines. Installed ferrite coils and no more issues.
Interesting, do you put them in a specific place or just anywhere on the wire?

megaphone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR R-16412
Country flag
I tried the HU EQ but even with the highs turned all the way down...the tweeters still seem too loud. Based on the comments here I did not install the crossover (the tweeters did come with optional passive crossovers). Maybe it would be worth a try to add the crossover.
I would probably add the crossover, my Focals had three wires coming out of the inline crossover labeled ground(-), car (+) and shop (+). Shop is used when installed in a shop and car is used when installing in a car (pretty straightforward right?). I found out that if I used the shop wire instead of the car wire they would become overpowering loud compared to the woofers. I am sure your crossover will help lower the volume as well!

Wxguru

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring x2
Country flag
Interesting, do you put them in a specific place or just anywhere on the wire?
On my truck, I stuck them about 5" back from the connectors at the led housing. I didn't try other positions, as this took care of my issue. You would just have to try one out and see what you get. I had several laying around the house that came with other electronics...otherwise you can buy them from electronics stores I believe.

eberrong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would probably add the crossover, my Focals had three wires coming out of the inline crossover labeled ground(-), car (+) and shop (+). Shop is used when installed in a shop and car is used when installing in a car (pretty straightforward right?). I found out that if I used the shop wire instead of the car wire they would become overpowering loud compared to the woofers. I am sure your crossover will help lower the volume as well!
Thanks. I will give the crossovers a try. I just noticed in the specs that these Hertz DT 24.3 tweeters have a sensitivity rating of 94dB. I think this is pretty high and my guess is that it is much higher than the woofer in the door and the OEM tweeter.

Honda Civic 10th gen Touring Tweeter Upgrade IMG_1073

PGean

First Name
KC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic ST, 2015 X5, 2009 MDX
Country flag
Ok...After buying the Polk tweeter a few months ago, I'm finally going to get time to install them. Any last minute tips?? Hopefully it goes smoooth

LegendaryElite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX w/ Sensing
Country flag
Ok...After buying the Polk tweeter a few months ago, I'm finally going to get time to install them. Any last minute tips?? Hopefully it goes smoooth
Just let us know if you need help. The installation should be simple enough.

KYRGYZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic LX, 18 Model X 100D
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
can someone please tell me which is positive and which one is negative for speakers? i see green and blue wires... I saw a video where it says that it doesn't matter in case of 2016+ civics, is that true ?
Sponsored