Touring Tweeter Upgrade

2016TouringSLC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I've found the Touring "premium" tweeter to sound harsh and unpleasant. Ordered a Hertz Dieci Dt24 that turned out easier to install than I thought. http://amazon.com/Hertz-DT-24-3-Dieci-Dt24/dp/B00DZJ5ICS?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Once you get the door sail off and unplug the speaker connector, the old tweeter pops out by pushing in two plastic latches.

The Hertz flush-mount tweeters fit in nicely to the door sail. Used some hot glue to secure in place. I pushed the tinned speaker wires into the Honda connector (couldn't find an adapter to fit the very-small tweeter connectors). They fit tight enough to make a good connection and I put a dab of hot glue to secure wires to connector. Be sure and trim the tinned connector enough so that no bare wire is showing when pushed in.

Of course you don't need to use the Hertz crossovers since that is handled by the Touring amp that has a separate output for each tweeter.

Wiring Color Code:
Front Right Tweeter: + is light green and - is pink
Front Left Tweeter: + is yellow and - is grey.

Took about 20 min. in total.

This is a nice upgrade that smooths out the harshness and creates a much better sense of presence and air compared to the old tweeters. While the photo makes it look off-center, it really isn't. Easy to get it perfectly centered in door sail.

Honda Civic 10th gen Touring Tweeter Upgrade IMG_0213.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

PandaXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX-T with Honda Sensing
Country flag
Did you just replace the tweeters in the front? is there a big difference in sound?

OP
OP
2016TouringSLC

2016TouringSLC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Did you just replace the tweeters in the front? is there a big difference in sound?
Just the tweeters in the front for now. I would call it a significant improvement that provides more detail and lot less listener fatigue at high sound levels. I anticipate they will sound even smoother after a little break-in period.

If you really care about sound, replacing the so-called "subwoofer" should be the first priority, and this upgrade should be second.

OP
OP
2016TouringSLC

2016TouringSLC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Do you like Hertz I was thinking of getting 2 sets of DCX 165.3
I think choosing between quality brands is often a matter of taste, but Hertz often appears in "best of" lists. I had a Polk component system in my other car and I think they are both excellent brands. Hertz has some $1,000 car speakers, and I like to think that some of that high-end know-how filters down to their more affordable systems.

sweet_lou92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
How did you get the door sail off? I've only had my 2016 civic ex for 3 months and the right tweeter is blown.. Thinking about replacing with the Hertz speakers. Just don't want to damage the door trying to get the sail off

OP
OP
2016TouringSLC

2016TouringSLC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Is it possible to get the door sail / tweeter out without first removing the door panel?
You must pop one or two of the plugs on the door panel just underneath the door sail. Just enough for the bottom of the door sail to be pulled out. You do not need to remove the entire door panel to remove the door sail and the tweeter.

jmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
I think I need to do this. Can anyone post a guide to get the sail off?

OP
OP
2016TouringSLC

2016TouringSLC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I think I need to do this. Can anyone post a guide to get the sail off?
Pretty simple. Pull away the edge of the door panel under the sail, and then pull out and lift up on the door sail. Can be done with your fingers or plastic car trim remover.

Honda Civic 10th gen Touring Tweeter Upgrade Door Sail Removal

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just replace mine with JBL GTO19T. Sound much more clear and i love it.

image.jpeg
I just got a pair of them and they seemed too small. I couldn't get it to fit. Did you use a different mount?

Peter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I just got a pair of them and they seemed too small. I couldn't get it to fit. Did you use a different mount?
No. I used the electric tap wrap aroud the tweeters until it fit in the adapter. I just pushed it in the adapter without glue it. You can glue it if you want to make sure they not come off :). Good luck.

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No. I used the electric tap wrap aroud the tweeters until it fit in the adapter. I just pushed it in the adapter without glue it. You can glue it if you want to make sure they not come off :). Good luck.
Thanks! I ended up using some foam to wrap around tweeter in it's surface mount bracket so that it would fit tightly in the ring that held the factory tweeter. It's a huge upgrade. The sound is much clearer and brighter yet much less harsh. You can hear a lot more detail. I'm sure it will get even better once broken in. I'll do a re-calibration then.

I initially pushed the wires into the harness so it just made contact, but I didn't want to have to keep worrying that it would stop working. So I clipped the factory harness and used some insulated crimp terminal connectors I had lying around.

Edit: here's how it looks

Honda Civic 10th gen Touring Tweeter Upgrade IMG_20160608_191404
Sponsored

Last edited: