Touring owners with hardwired dashcams. Which fuse did you guys tap into?

steviiee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
So, I had my dashcam hardwired onto the powered seats but that blew out the fuse about 2 weeks in. I was wondering if there's any other place I can tap into that won't blow the fuse out?
Sponsored

OP
OP

steviiee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
why not use an open slot?

upload_2017-11-22_17-49-56-png.png
Never knew I could use an open slot. I'm pretty new regarding this stuff, can I just use any open slot? Or one that at least has power when off?

sLing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Use fuse 36. It's unused if you don't have wireless charging (20A).

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
So, I had my dashcam hardwired onto the powered seats but that blew out the fuse about 2 weeks in. I was wondering if there's any other place I can tap into that won't blow the fuse out?
I the Power Seats will draw much more current than the dashcam, so adding the dashcam should only have pit a very small extra load on the powered seat fuse.
Did you try to operate Both powered seats at the same time (if that is a possibility).
That would draw far more current than one seat moving + dashcam.

Bottom line, adding the Dashcam onto that fuse should not have caused the fuse to blow, UNLESS there is an issue with the powered seat, or the dashcam, where they are faulting and drawing a highly increased current than they should.

If you cannot find an unused fuse location and use that, then I would suggest you make sure there is an Inline Fuse in the dashcam lead.. should only need a small, sub 1A fuse.

Really sound like you have an intermittent short, that should obviously be tracked down and corrected.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Use fuse 36. It's unused if you don't have wireless charging (20A).
If you use that fuse location, replace the 20A fuse with a 1 or 2 amp fuse.
a 20A fuse will give you little protection with a fault in your dashcam, unless it is a major wiring fault. In any case, DO NOT use a 20A fuse just for a dashcam

sLing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
If you use that fuse location, replace the 20A fuse with a 1 or 2 amp fuse.
a 20A fuse will give you little protection with a fault in your dashcam, unless it is a major wiring fault. In any case, DO NOT use a 20A fuse just for a dashcam
If you're using a battery for your dash cam you will need to use a bigger fuse. It really depends on your setup.

And the fuse location I was suggesting is most likely unused as it's for wireless charging which is an option.

Last edited:

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you're using a battery for your dash cam you will need to use a bigger fuse. It really depends on your setup.

And the fuse location I was suggesting is most likely unused as it's for wireless charging which is an option.
Good point - had not considered the need to also be able to charge the Dash Cam battery, but the battery is typically significantly less capacity than a SmartPhone battery, what will charge at about 1A on normal charge, and maybe 1.5-2.0 amps at Fast Charge.
That's far short of 20A, so a 20A fuse offers little or no protection, unless you get a major short.
Best thing would be to measure the currents drawn ( you can get a cheap digital Multimeter these days for less that $10 - or FREE from harbor Freight with a coupon and another purchase), and then select a fuse that is about 1.5 time the max current draw.

sLing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Good point - had not considered the need to also be able to charge the Dash Cam battery, but the battery is typically significantly less capacity than a SmartPhone battery, what will charge at about 1A on normal charge, and maybe 1.5-2.0 amps at Fast Charge.
That's far short of 20A, so a 20A fuse offers little or no protection, unless you get a major short.
Best thing would be to measure the currents drawn ( you can get a cheap digital Multimeter these days for less that $10 - or FREE from harbor Freight with a coupon and another purchase), and then select a fuse that is about 1.5 time the max current draw.
Blackvue B-124 uses 9A when charging hardwired. But either way I was just suggesting fuse location only :) It's the best fuse to use since it can support up to 20A

Last edited:

OP
OP

steviiee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
So, basically I just bought the Power Magic Pro hardwiring kit. And I'll be pairing it with the A119 Dashcam in the front and the B1W. Both of them don't have any battery. I'll be fine using fuse 36 and do 5A/5A fuse since it's a 20A in general? But, I'm also looking into an accessory only on fuse also.

And also, for the open slot. I'm using an add a fuse kit. Do I put a 20A fuse in just 1 of the slot? The bottom one or the top one? Or can I put something smaller?

Honda Civic 10th gen Touring owners with hardwired dashcams. Which fuse did you guys tap into? add_a_circuit_mini_blade_1

Last edited:

sLing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
So, basically I just bought the Power Magic Pro hardwiring kit. And I'll be pairing it with the A119 Dashcam in the front and the B1W. Both of them don't have any battery. I'll be fine using fuse 36 and do 5A/5A fuse since it's a 20A in general? But, I'm also looking into an accessory only on fuse also.

And also, for the open slot. I'm using an add a fuse kit. Do I put a 20A fuse in just 1 of the slot? The bottom one or the top one? Or can I put something smaller?

add_a_circuit_mini_blade_1.jpg
You want to put the 5A fuse on top. You can leave the bottom blank if your going to be using an unused slot.

If you were to use one of the accessory slot then you would place the fuse you removed from the fuse box to the bottom.

OP
OP

steviiee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
You want to put the 5A fuse on top. You can leave the bottom blank if your going to be using an unused slot.

If you were to use one of the accessory slot then you would place the fuse you removed from the fuse box to the bottom.
Ah, sweet thank you. What would be a good slot to use the accessory wire for?
Sponsored