Touring Factory Delay

andrewatx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 Touring
I put down a deposit for a Touring in Lunar Silver "already in production" according to the dealership. They didn't have an actual date on delivery, but said it would be about two weeks. Those two weeks are here and there's still no ETA. The vehicle has a VIN assigned from the plant in Canada.

Are any buyers experiencing delays in their orders? Could it be from the reported audio issues?
Sponsored

baba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Lunar Silver
I wouldn't worry about it yet. My dealership told me it would take 3-4 weeks to get my Touring, and it took 3.5 weeks. They probably just underestimated.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
The vehicle has a VIN assigned from the plant in Canada.

Are any buyers experiencing delays in their orders? Could it be from the reported audio issues?
What does your dealer say? Not sure they really know much of anything between the point of having a VIN and it showing up. With a BMW, they even know what ship it's sailing on and when it's due to dock in the US. But I don't suspect Honda works that way.

If it has a VIN, it's almost surely built. Could be a generic shipping delay due to weather or shortage of rail cars or ???. Or they could have a hold on shipping them because of, who knows, maybe the Touring audio issues? Other manufacturers have been known to do this in extreme cases. They don't like to do it because it's costly and a logistical headache, they don't have room to store all these cars while they keep cranking out more, and it implies they are going to do some rework to them before shipping them after they get parts or whatever. But if they know they are going to have to do something, it's easier and cheaper than paying the dealers to do the work. Sometimes they do this when they are short some specific component and don't want to stop the line. That's the last thing they ever want to do.

scsi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Aegean Blue Civic Touring, 2003 Element EX AWD
Vehicle Showcase
I was told once there's a VIN, the car is complete and ready to be shipped, which will take another couple of weeks. IN my case, along with the VIN came a delivery estimate range of Dec 22-26. It actually arrived on Friday the 18th... Mine came from Indiana, though.

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My Touring had its release for delivery changed three times. Overall delay was about 3 additional weeks from first date. I'm an hour away from Alliston.

OP
OP
andrewatx

andrewatx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 Touring
What's interesting here is the VIN that is provided by the dealership site in Austin apparently was a VIN assigned to a dealership in Nevada. My only guess is that this was a dealer swap during production, and I've confirmed with the dealer that this is coming straight from the factory. Either way, the wait is killing me.

timcole421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sensing Sedan
I am with you, I have been following the cars.....reading and researching since they were announced. I had to get some of my seasonal work done and wanted to get all of the payment for such in hand before ordering so I would have my down payment - a considerable amount to keep my payments low.

Well, I decided I could go ahead and order on the 28th of November. Went into the dealership my friend/neighbor/salesman works at and test drove an EX. I'd decided the two things I wanted for sure were the turbo engine and sensing. None of the cars on the lot had it. So we went inside....the closest dealer that had one was 7 hours away in the color I wanted. If I changed colors, I could probably get one "in a few days". So, I went with the plentiful MSM. Few days later, I was informed that wasn't going to work but one was being built in MSM that I could reserve. It would be done within the next week or so, and about another week for delivery after that. Then it want from a week to a week and a half to deliver so I pushed my hope to last week. Notta. The last word I got was delivery between 22nd and 27th. I've been impatiently checking the dealer lots at night to see if it came...and it hasn't. I thought it had, was all happy until I saw the window sticker and it wasn't a sensing model.

So as of right now, it still isn't here. If it were to show up tonight, they are only open till noon tomorrow and I am sure the dealer prep on it wouldn't be done in time before close. Closed Friday. Guessing dealer prep on saturday.....so we're already onto "next week" in my mind, best case.

If I weren't friends/neighbors with the salesman, I would have already just located the car somewhere between the coasts, flown out and drove home. That may sound crazy to some, but I will spend the better part of the next decade in this car for my work (travel up to 500 miles a day), so a day or two trip to get what I want without waiting months would be well worth it.

scsi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Aegean Blue Civic Touring, 2003 Element EX AWD
Vehicle Showcase
What's interesting here is the VIN that is provided by the dealership site in Austin apparently was a VIN assigned to a dealership in Nevada.
Hmmm.. Which dealership? First Texas wasn't too keen on a dealer trade for mine (which is why I went to Dallas). Howdy was really really intent on selling me something from their lot instead of what I wanted.

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Tim, feel for you, went through the same sort of wait. It's worth it. Good decision to go with the turbo. The engine choice changes a really strong everyday car into a family 'sleeper'. The turbo is fun. With the driving you do, did you consider the Touring?

OP
OP
andrewatx

andrewatx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 Touring
Hmmm.. Which dealership? First Texas wasn't too keen on a dealer trade for mine (which is why I went to Dallas). Howdy was really really intent on selling me something from their lot instead of what I wanted.
Skipped doing any deals on the lot and did the deal with Howdy Honda through their online sales rep.

Last edited:

timcole421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At the time, no. I do OK, but am a cheapskate and would feel guilty spending the amounts over the cost of what I felt I needed. Now, hell yes I would. Just tired of the waiting. Like I said the Turbo models (heated seats, XM and other things) were enough to push my personal demand for that package. But now? Hell yes I would consider a touring.....especially at the extreme deals some people on this board are getting on them. I just want my car already, sheesh.

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My wife laughted out loud when I told her someone on the forum was checking the lot at night to see if there car was in. She was worried I was checking so often I might get reported.

timcole421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, I finally got the text I have been waiting on, the car is here. BUT, I have to wait till tomorrow due to dealer prep..... %&$*$ %((%& #^@%#^!!!!!!!!!!!!

bander68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L Rallye Red
I am right behind you. Waiting stinks. I put my deposit down 3 weeks ago, and nothing but silence. I found a perfect match up in Dallas but my dealer isn't interested in a trade 200 miles away. I just hope this happens before something else goes wrong on my fit with 180k miles. And being off from work all week would make this the perfect time too. Waiting stinks. Congrats on surviving it.

timcole421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sitting at the dealership now, it is indeed here. We are having horrible weather which would make it hard to enjoy a new car anyway, so tomorrow will suffice.
Sponsored