Touchscreen display cracked - What to do??

CDub_1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch EX-L Navi, 1995 Accord EX-L
Country flag
so my screen is spiderweb cracked all around and I need to know if there is any way I can get it disconnected or turned off permanently until I can get it repaired.

When I fresh start the car, everything relating to the screen goes haywire. It literally turns radio on and off repeatedly, messes with the volume, activates back button and anything else you can think of until it crashes DaLauncher. I have lost complete touch sensitivity so thereā€™s nothing I can do when I press the display, it just does what it wants. Also the button at the top is useless because the tablet keeps activating either back button or audio button and that overrides the display button. And since the volume controls on the tablet itself is the master and the steering wheel controls are the slave Iā€™m in constant war with the machine over keeping my speakers from getting blown.

I took the car to my dealer and they said itā€™s going to cost a ton to fix, like possibly a thousand or more. I believe I was quoted around $800 for parts and a few hundred more in labor. Okay thatā€™s fine, Iā€™ll pay whatever it takes to make the madness stop but in the meantime is there a plug or fuse I can pull to turn off the unit?

It is making my car almost impossible to drive with how dangerous and distracting it is. Please for the love of god tell me there is a way :(
Sponsored

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
There probably is a fuse labeled audio somewhere that maybe you can pull out. I'm not sure if that would stop it from turning on the screen or if it's just for speakers or something though,

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you can't find a fuse, just pull the radio out and unplug it.

I think I read that someone bought one of those stereos for a couple of hundred bucks on eBay. I don't think it would be difficult to swap out.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
These radios come out very easy. The radio took quite a bit of force to come out when I removed mine. Be firm, but be controlled. As 360 said, you can probably find a new one on ebay pretty cheap. You also could install one of the Phoenix Android Radios people are using. They are receiving good reviews on here and the best one they sell is under $500.

OP
OP
CDub_1988

CDub_1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
These radios come out very easy. The radio took quite a bit of force to come out when I removed mine. Be firm, but be controlled. As 360 said, you can probably find a new one on ebay pretty cheap. You also could install one of the Phoenix Android Radios people are using. They are receiving good reviews on here and the best one they sell is under $500.

Oh man this is gonna be interesting! Thanks a bunch, guys.

OP
OP
CDub_1988

CDub_1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ebay has bunch of headunit for sale for cheap. I saw a few for 200
I took mine out yesterday after work and promptly got a replacement off eBay for $325. It was supposedly out of a ā€˜17 EX-T and had the Nav so itā€™s the perfect one. The other cheaper ones might not have nav or so Iā€™ve heard.

Anyway canā€™t wait to receive the new radio, should be here in a week or so!

OP
OP
CDub_1988

CDub_1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
An update: I received the new radio and got it all plugged in and what not. Well upon boot, it is now asking for anti-theft radio code. What do I do in this situation? Will a Honda dealer be able to activate the unit even though itā€™s not originally from my car? Or there is some kind of voodoo magic I can work to bypass this screen?

I thought radio codes were a thing of the past. Hell my car didnā€™t come with one in the glovebox or anywhere I can look and I bought it brand new. I looked in my PDI pamphlet and the radio code spot was left blank.

So if my original broken radio didnā€™t have a code then how could the one I just bought have one? Theyā€™re both from 2017 Civics FYI.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
An update: I received the new radio and got it all plugged in and what not. Well upon boot, it is now asking for anti-theft radio code. What do I do in this situation? Will a Honda dealer be able to activate the unit even though itā€™s not originally from my car? Or there is some kind of voodoo magic I can work to bypass this screen?

I thought radio codes were a thing of the past. Hell my car didnā€™t come with one in the glovebox or anywhere I can look and I bought it brand new. I looked in my PDI pamphlet and the radio code spot was left blank.

So if my original broken radio didnā€™t have a code then how could the one I just bought have one? Theyā€™re both from 2017 Civics FYI.
Typically, you can get the Code for your Radio from the Honda website .. all you need is the Car's VIN# and the radio Serial Number. (I have done this and it works fine)

BUT

If you purchased a replacement radio, then that might not work, as your VIN# is associated with your OLD Radio.

However your DEALER (who Honda Trusts !@!!) should be able to get the Unlock Code with just the radio Serial Number .

OR

Where did you get the USED ? Radio from.. Can you get the VIn# for the car it came from, from whoever you bought the radio from.
If the Radio has Sirus_XM, yu can try calling them with the Sirus_XM serial number, and if you are lucky, and speak nicely to them, they have been know to tell the caller what the Vin# was, when that Radio had it's Sirus_XM set up for it 3 month trial.

HINT: Tell them you want to RE-REGISTER that Sirus_XM serial number with YOU, as you have just purchased the radio from a Totaled Car, and may well want to Subscribe to their Service, with this Radio,, (Once you get it unlocked !!)

That should do it !!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
CDub_1988

CDub_1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Iā€™m a little late in getting back to this thread so let me tell you what I ended up doing.....

Well I originally replaced my entire broken unit with the replacement one I ordered and put it in by hand. After I put the code in it activated and all was well, right? Yes BUT come to find out the replacement unit was from a Civic of a lower trim than my own. It didnā€™t have dual zone climate control and it was it was absent of any maps/navigation that was on my original unit. I felt bamboozled, hoodwinked, led astray. So what was I to do???

Well I had a crazy idea, why not take the screen from the replacement unit and swap it onto my busted OG one and then put that one back into my car? So I opened the dash once again, pulled out the replacement one, learned how to separate the screen from from the unit itself and put that one on the OG unit and then installed that one into the dash. With fingers crossed I started up the ride and....

All is well! So I regained my dual zone climate and my nav since my original unit was now back in only this time with a new screen. It was NOT fun pulling the dash apart and re-hooking the wires and such as many times as I did because there is not a lot of room to work with and the radio is heavier than you think so you have to hold it with one hand and plug cables in with the other and it gets very tiring and frustrating but I got it done and didnā€™t damage anything and saved literally thousands of dollars the dealership wanted to charge for the same job so I ended up okay in the end!

Boomba Racing

Civic X Vendor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boombaracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport, 2018 Civic Type-R, 2010 Civic SI, 2015 Civic SI,
Country flag
Iā€™m a little late in getting back to this thread so let me tell you what I ended up doing.....

Well I originally replaced my entire broken unit with the replacement one I ordered and put it in by hand. After I put the code in it activated and all was well, right? Yes BUT come to find out the replacement unit was from a Civic of a lower trim than my own. It didnā€™t have dual zone climate control and it was it was absent of any maps/navigation that was on my original unit. I felt bamboozled, hoodwinked, led astray. So what was I to do???

Well I had a crazy idea, why not take the screen from the replacement unit and swap it onto my busted OG one and then put that one back into my car? So I opened the dash once again, pulled out the replacement one, learned how to separate the screen from from the unit itself and put that one on the OG unit and then installed that one into the dash. With fingers crossed I started up the ride and....

All is well! So I regained my dual zone climate and my nav since my original unit was now back in only this time with a new screen. It was NOT fun pulling the dash apart and re-hooking the wires and such as many times as I did because there is not a lot of room to work with and the radio is heavier than you think so you have to hold it with one hand and plug cables in with the other and it gets very tiring and frustrating but I got it done and didnā€™t damage anything and saved literally thousands of dollars the dealership wanted to charge for the same job so I ended up okay in the end!
A little ingenuity goes a long way! If you don't mind me asking, how did it crack in the first place?
Sponsored