Torque Spec for 17mm Tophat Nut (1 nut also keeps spinning)

OP
OP
j_vang

j_vang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 SI Coupe
Country flag
How long did your spring install take?
About 5 hours. Most of it was spent on the first front as I was trying to figure out a better technique for removing and reinstalling the strut. Also never used a spring compressor before so I was being overly cautious. Rears are super easy. If I had to redo it again maybe 3 hours.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
About 5 hours. Most of it was spent on the first front as I was trying to figure out a better technique for removing and reinstalling the strut. Also never used a spring compressor before so I was being overly cautious. Rears are super easy. If I had to redo it again maybe 3 hours.
Did you unbolt the 3 ball joint nuts from the lower control arm, or did you unbolt the lower control arm from the subframe?

Unbolting the arm from the subframe is supposed to make the removal much easier at the cost of extra work up front.

OP
OP
j_vang

j_vang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 SI Coupe
Country flag
Did you unbolt the 3 ball joint nuts from the lower control arm, or did you unbolt the lower control arm from the subframe?

Unbolting the arm from the subframe is supposed to make the removal much easier at the cost of extra work up front.
Unbolted the 3 ball joint nuts. The arm would've definitely make things easier but I didn't think about it and utilized 4 different youtube videos where they all did the 3 ball joint nuts as well. Reinstalling the fronts seems to be the variable as everyone did it differently.

(coilover vid but great for learning how to remove the stock struts)

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Unbolted the 3 ball joint nuts. The arm would've definitely make things easier but I didn't think about it and utilized 4 different youtube videos where they all did the 3 ball joint nuts as well. Reinstalling the fronts seems to be the variable as everyone did it differently.
Yeah, it seems like most people remove the 3 ball joint nuts. I didn't know about the other method until I read a thread about installing the spoon springs in a type R where the spoon method was to unbolt the LCA from the subframe, which apparently saves a lot of trouble with regards to removal and reinstallation of the strut.

Mike2020si

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Just finished my swift spring install for my 18 SI and have torque specs for all the nuts and bolts but this one. Anyone know the torque spec? Also, I was able to tighten down the driver's side tophat nut but the passenger side just keeps spinning in place. If anyone can shed some light on this I would also greatly appreciate it!

20200216_140446.jpg
Having the same issue. Tried the go thru kit didn’t work. Tried impacting it back on and it didn’t work. Maybe my impact isn’t strong enough? Even tho it did the other side. I’m at a loss.

Bosco72

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic coupe sport
Country flag
I know this is a old thread but what's up with the Allen key and the open socket set. Mine is loose so I bought the kit and trying it tomorrow
Sponsored