Tools and tool set

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes, the actual SQUARE Torque Wrench connector is 3/8 or 1/2, but the wheel nut is Metric, and is BIG.. if you already have a metric Socket set, chances are you may not have the correct BIG mm socket, with the correct 3/8" or 1/2" connector to match your Torque Wrench.

I have 3/8 to 19mm socket , easy to find at any good store. Picture from Home depot
By the way 19 mm is not big, it is close to 3/4 inches.
The tool I'm talking about I have all.

If needed you can find adaptor from 3/8 to 1/2

Honda Civic 10th gen Tools and tool set Capture d’écran 2018-11-16 à 04.22.09

3/8 torque wrench to 80 lbs

Honda Civic 10th gen Tools and tool set Capture d’écran 2018-11-16 à 04.24.43

Last edited:

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
I have 3/8 to 19mm socket , easy to find at any good store. Picture from Home depot
By the way 19 mm is not big, it is close to 3/4 inches.
The tool I'm talking about I have all.

3/8 torque wrench to 80 lbs

Capture d’écran 2018-11-16 à 04.24.43.png
I'm going to advocate again for a beam-type torque wrench. Reliability is better (the last click-type I used was broken and wouldn't "click" at any setting) and it's cheaper. I think this is the same one I got from Autozone over a decade ago. I may consider a digital one someday, but this has worked fine for me.

Honda Civic 10th gen Tools and tool set Screen Shot 2018-11-16 at 07.58.34

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've own both and both have merit. I prefer the click type because you may not always be in a position that you can read the dial while you're torquing something down.

After just doing the timing belt on my WRX I'm seriously considering dumping the money for some Matco 3/8 and 1/2 drive digital... The only thing that scares me a bit is digital stuff doesn't last forever and those wrenches will cost at least $300+ each.

Does anybody have a quality digital torque wrench they can recommend?

Edit: Oh dear god... it's worse than I thought lol
Honda Civic 10th gen Tools and tool set Capture.PNG

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm going to advocate again for a beam-type torque wrench. Reliability is better (the last click-type I used was broken and wouldn't "click" at any setting) and it's cheaper. I think this is the same one I got from Autozone over a decade ago. I may consider a digital one someday, but this has worked fine for me.

Screen Shot 2018-11-16 at 07.58.34.png

You are right . Those beam are more reliable. I have two if them. 3/8 ans 1/2 inches
You can't use it for oil drain plug 'cause you can't read scale. That is why I bought the click-type

Did you know about the click-type torque wrench , you must store it at the lowest setting, don't store it with pressure on you will damage it . Did you know that ?

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
Beam type wrench is cheaper but more difficult to use. You need to see the scale and pointer to use it. In some orientations that's difficult.

I would never go to the trouble of using a torque wrench for the oil drain plug or wheel nuts.

You can use a 19 mm or 3/4" socket for the wheel nuts. They are essentially identical. 19 / 25.4 = 0.748 inches

I prefer a 12 point socket for the wheel nuts since I use a breaker bar to tighten and loosen the nuts. With a 12 point it's easier to get into a good position for the breaker bar.

I use a speed wrench on the nuts until they're snug then use the breaker bar for the final tightening. I use a 3/4" on the speed wrench and 19 mm on the breaker bar.

If I had an impact driver I'd probably use it on the wheel nuts.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm sure ramps and a hydraulic jack and jackstands will come in useful

With or without hydraulic jack, 2 jackstands are must to work under the car like for oil change.
Ramp are good too; we should buy the right one , car front end is very low

Deezy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6MT (FC2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
+1 for beam style.

I mentioned in another thread that a crapo clicker torque wrench I bought at the Canadian equivalent of Harbor Freight, was faulty, and so wouldn't click, and wound up stripping fairing bolts on a dirt bike. Thankfully, I did not find out that it was faulty after overtightening a drain bolt

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
+1 for beam style.

I mentioned in another thread that a crapo clicker torque wrench I bought at the Canadian equivalent of Harbor Freight, was faulty, and so wouldn't click, and wound up stripping fairing bolts on a dirt bike. Thankfully, I did not find out that it was faulty after overtightening a drain bolt

Alway test on a dummy bolt before.
Witch Canadian store are you talking about ?

MarcOTT

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Odyssey - Civic - CRV
Country flag
Yep! I have this one from Harbor Freight and it's great for our cars. Think I paid $60 for mine.https://www.harborfreight.com/15-ton-aluminum-racing-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-62160.html
Yes, a good set of car ramps for oil changes (approach clearance will/may be an issue with the low clearance present in the 10th gen Civics), quality set of jack stands and 1 1/2 ton hydraulic jack. I like the center jacking points on the Honda vehicles.
For tools, I see many suggestions for Harbor Freight. Low cost tools are practical for infrequent use, but a higher quality tool will perform better, last longer and you can easily re-sale if necessary. Pay more if you can and look a Taiwanese made like Gear Wrench.
I like click designed torque wrenches, hard to view the beam style indicator. Once you feel the pressure needed to securely fastened lug bolts and other large bolts, you can ditch the torque wrench and use a regular long handle ratchet.
Enjoy the satisfaction of DIY !