First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
i am gonna muddy this a bit more...
A while back I bought a 'demon' car (family car Toyota Avalon) from a dealership. It has 10K miles on it but never registered. The dealer owner drove around as an advertisement. So 10K miles would be for sure as being considered 'used' but never registered would be considered 'new'?

To Toyota, it is a new car (even 1 year old) and the 36K or 3 years warrant applied. To Toyota, I had 26K left on my warranty and full 3 years. Dealer made up the differences by offering me additional 20K (extended warranty). Obviously I got a good discount on the car.

I know my case is somewhat unique.

When I buy a brand new car (never registered before), less 100 miles is acceptable. Anything more than that is subject to negotiation but still considered new car. I picked up my 2018 SI with 15 miles on it and the sale person said it was never test driven before. The 15 miles were moving between different lots/show rooms, etc.
The car you bought is called a Dealer Demo car. These are sold at a discount, and usually the dealership will offer an extended warranty on them. My father years ago bought a demo at a significant discount, they threw in an extended warranty. For sure this is not considered a new car, especially if it has 10K on it, but being a Toyota, 10K is nothing
Sponsored

OP
OP
mjh

mjh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2020 Sedan; Previously VW Jetta SEL 2016 (auto); Civic EX Sedan 2009 (manual); Civic EX Coupe 2002 (manual)
Country flag
Beautiful car and best of luck with her! More pics!
Thanks! I actually did take a bunch when I first took it home, which is highly unusual for me.
Honda Civic 10th gen took the plunge Civic Si3a
Honda Civic 10th gen took the plunge Civic Si Front2b

COOL COUPE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI coupe (red) Skunk 2 shift knob BOV Spacer Plate (red) K&N Panel Filter Dual Muffler Delete
Country flag
What we are saying with the advanced miles is that the car was abused plain and simple. It does not matter that there were 66 miles on the car. It's that fact that you can be FULLY sure that the car was red lined and red lined and red lined again for ALL or nearly all of the 66 I once drove with a salesman in 2008 and he said to me "go ahead and red line it" ... when I test drove a "similar" gen 10 car in January 2019 BEFORE I made my final purchase fresh from the truck I "drove it like it should be driven" myself ... now ... some folks swear by what is called a "hard break in" so ... ... call me OCD and obsessive ... If a hard break in works and is effective... YOU win!

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
Thanks! I actually did take a bunch when I first took it home, which is highly unusual for me.
Civic Si3a.jpg
Civic Si Front2b.jpg
Beautiful ride! I'm hoping to get mine out this weekend for some proper photos. It's raining like a b1tch right now so I'll have to do a little cleaning up before the shoot.

Reactions: mjh

Drunkndude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I agree with you cool coupe. When I went to the dealer and bought mine they had 2. They let me test drive one and I beat on that thing. They even directed me to this street that looked like it was used for the quarter mile. So obviously I bought the one on the showroom floor, lol. I have always thought about who was going to end up with that other one. Those might be some of the ones with clutch issues.

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I agree with you cool coupe. When I went to the dealer and bought mine they had 2. They let me test drive one and I beat on that thing. They even directed me to this street that looked like it was used for the quarter mile. So obviously I bought the one on the showroom floor, lol. I have always thought about who was going to end up with that other one. Those might be some of the ones with clutch issues.
Civics are quarter mile racers? Please, tell me more.

Nothing will be wrong with it. In fact, it sounds like it will last longer than yours based on the way you drive :D

Drunkndude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
The road had rubber all over it due to people launching. I didn’t say the civic was made for the quarter mile. I was pointing out how they let me beat on that car that some other poor guy ended up buying. My car was broken in properly and I haven’t had any clutch issues yet:beer:

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The road had rubber all over it due to people launching. I didn’t say the civic was made for the quarter mile. I was pointing out how they let me beat on that car that some other poor guy ended up buying. My car was broken in properly and I haven’t had any clutch issues yet:beer:
I am pretty certain that poor guy won't drive it like a moron and it will be just fine. Yours on the other hand...

Drunkndude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
If you make it out to Cali I will show you how to drive it through the canyons.

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
grats on the new si!
you got 1year on me for age so i bow to your wisdom.. heated seats ARE nessesary!
the comment about the michelin sport pilot 4s is correct. its like they designed them for this car.
ktuner tsp1 is an excellent choice for minimal mods however you WILL need to do a clutch if you get it.
i found i could make the clutch slip in 4th 5th or 6th on command almost immediatly after tuning.
some say just don't get on it in higher gears but with the drive by wire throttle all you need is partial throttle and it can virtually floor it for you and slip.
there are no rod issues with going hard in higher gears(in the si). and after 90k i have proved it.

excellent car. enjoy.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
The 15 miles were moving between different lots/show rooms, etc.
I have no problem with buying a car with 15 miles but if you believe what the salesman said about those 15 miles... I dunno what to tell you.

If a salesmans lips are moving, they're lying. 15 miles is a lot of lots/showrooms. That car was definitely test driven.

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
When I was at the dealer a couple weeks trading my si in for a type r, they had a championship white one on the floor. We agree on a number and during the paper work process I noticed the odometer read 256 miles. When I asked about it, they said that one of the employees takes it for “cars and coffee” regularly, and as long as it was never registered, they can still sell it as new. Long story short i went with a black one with 9 miles on it.
Dealers will let people test drive si’s. Type R’s not so much. I wouldn’t stress about 66 miles lol

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
What we are saying with the advanced miles is that the car was abused plain and simple. It does not matter that there were 66 miles on the car. It's that fact that you can be FULLY sure that the car was red lined and red lined and red lined again for ALL or nearly all of the 66 I once drove with a salesman in 2008 and he said to me "go ahead and red line it" ... when I test drove a "similar" gen 10 car in January 2019 BEFORE I made my final purchase fresh from the truck I "drove it like it should be driven" myself ... now ... some folks swear by what is called a "hard break in" so ... ... call me OCD and obsessive ... If a hard break in works and is effective... YOU win!
Any car that can't handle some revs for 60 or even a 100 miles is not worth owning. That being said, fuel cutoff would prevent redlining, thus preventing damage caused by reckless drivers ;)

Ron R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
Congratulations on your beautiful blue SI:) I still have my '08 Jetta S with 287K as a back up car. Almost got a '19 Tornado Red GLI for my wife as a surprise, but dealer and VW refused any great Lease deals. Got her a '19 Mini Cooper S instead. She enjoys the SI and drove it last week lol.
Sponsored