Took a small road trip...dear God my neck.

CivicDude248

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
So I took my Si on a small road trip today. Total of about 4 hours. I’ve put about a thousand miles on the car so far but it has all just been around town and short drives.

So far the seats and seating position of the car are the only things I can complain about! I just cannot seem to find a really comfortable position. During and after my drive today my neck and upper body were just incredibly uncomfortable. I even had to take ibuprofen! Has anybody else experienced this??? I’ve never had this issue in a car and it sucked. I’m even starting to wonder if I should have went with another trim without these sports seats. Ugh.
Sponsored

Matthyahuw

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Agean Blue Civic Si Sedan 2016 Omaha Orange Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My seat did have to break in some. It was very uncomfortable when new. After a few months, it was much better

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I have owned this car for 1 year now, and I have made at least 7 or 8 trips between Northern California where I live to Southern California (360 miles each way), it can take from five and a half to 8 hours each way depending on when I leave, traffic etc. The only time I really start feeling exhausted or experience leg pain is when I hit Los Angeles traffic, which is horrible. These are not the most comfortable seats, but good enough to get the job done

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Don't lean back. Put the seat straight up so that your head touches the back of the headrest naturally in a comfortable position.

ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
So true. I see so many people with the seat almost in a laying down position only to be hunched over while driving. Whenever I drive an unfamiliar car I bring the seat all the way straight. Then slowly back 1 click at a time. Not saying this about the OP but I think too many people focus on looking cool and not optimal driver comfort. Just look at how many 1 piece racing seats are designed with only a few degrees of adjustment from the base. Also if your car is stick shift you don't want to be stretching to reach the clutch.

Don't lean back. Put the seat straight up so that your head touches the back of the headrest naturally in a comfortable position.

MattyNice

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It took me a year to get comfortable in this car as I too couldn’t find a ‘perfect’ seat position- still can’t really. I take frequent trips to Charleston which is about 3 hours. My butt and lower back used to hurt like hell. A year later, I think the seat has softened up some and it now squeaks occasionally. I found making sure I get my butt as far back as possible and keeping my shoulders back against the seat has helped immensely. That and I adjust the seat back to where with the clutch to the floor, I have just a slight bend in my knee. All this came from some article I read recently and it really has helped.

susanz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2019
Country flag
So I took my Si on a small road trip today. Total of about 4 hours. I’ve put about a thousand miles on the car so far but it has all just been around town and short drives.

So far the seats and seating position of the car are the only things I can complain about! I just cannot seem to find a really comfortable position. During and after my drive today my neck and upper body were just incredibly uncomfortable. I even had to take ibuprofen! Has anybody else experienced this??? I’ve never had this issue in a car and it sucked. I’m even starting to wonder if I should have went with another trim without these sports seats. Ugh.
I literally feel your pain. I have a new Civic EXL - only 700 miles on it and it kills my back and neck and I haven't been in it for more than 20 minutes at a time. So disappointing. I've ordered a bunch of orthopedic car pillows from Amazon and trying them out. Some help a little but none alleviates it completely. I have a perpetual neck and back ache. I have never experienced this with a car before...this is my first and last Honda. The back seat is shaped some what like a "c" and the bottom seat dips down where your butt goes making your knees higher. The headrest pushes your head forward. No matter how many adjustments I make, the seats are awful. I'm on a 3 year lease and can't wait until its up.

LittleturboSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Have stopped replying for a while (just busy, this forum is always great), but couldn't help seeing your topic. I had dull but long lasting neck pain everyday after driving any trip longer than 30 mins. It lasted for a month. Played with the seat adjustment many times, and eventually found out for me it's the top of the seat, the headrest area pushing too much forward. I used to sit very straight up and the push makes my neck to bend forward and pass the vertical line. This caused the pain.

Now I adjust the back a click back than I prefer, compensate by moving the steering wheel closer to have good and quick control. I have very long legs in proportion, so I was already sitting very back just for the super high brake pedal and heel toe play comfort. Now with the extra lean back of the seat, I have to leave my arm off the armrest when shifting. And the steering wheel is almost fully extended. Not ideal, but it works. The seat of the 9th gen Si and position of the shifter fit me perfectly, miss them but that's the only things I miss...:lol:

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I think the seats are VERY comfortable. I bought my Si out-of-state and took a ~475 mile roadtrip back home and only stopped once (for food, not for gas :D). I do agree that they break in a little more after 1-2 months, but they were still pretty confortable on day 1.

Gino27

Red Rocket
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 si coupe
Country flag
I also think the seats are extremely comfortable but I can see where they might not be a good fit for everyone. I especially like how low I can get them to go!

swah_fk7

Regamaster King
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My seat did have to break in some. It was very uncomfortable when new. After a few months, it was much better
second this. took me a few days of just sitting in it and driving before the seat broke in.

Lukifer

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I've taken several road trips in mine.... including 9 hours or so down to TN... only thing I had trouble with my my right leg cramping up a bit. Otherwise, I was comfortable. I really like the seats.
Sponsored