Today's experience: pedestrian detection and automatic braking [including dash cam video]

BogdanM

First Name
Bogdan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Plus 1.5 MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Contrary to popular opinion, the system can't read your brain and only reacts when you are approaching an object at a certain velocity, it doesn't really care about accel. and brake inputs. It does not care about distance either in the sense that if your tailgating, it will not turn activate. It will only do so if the car in front is braking whilst tailgating.
Not entirely true. The system knows (cares) if you are on the brake or not while approaching something. If you are on the brake the visual / auditive alerts will happen a bit later.
Sponsored

BogdanM

First Name
Bogdan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's why I don't like this tech, it doesn't seem like it is made for real world situations and can, in extreme cases, even lead to an accident. It just seems like some tech they needed to throw in to stay competitive and add to the list of features being offered.

I think the best policy is to put the phone down, ignore distractions and be as close to 100% engaged in driving as you can be. Don't rely on tech to bail you out, be a better driver.
People said the same when ABS was first introduced on cars and then for ESP. We have to face it the fact that a computer will react far more quickly than a human will do, even if they are as engaged as they can be. Also, not all drivers have feline instincts, sight or reflexes and also some situations can happen quick enough that we cannot react to them.
The system is created to be a safe net (especially for pedestrians) and should be regarded as one and not to think about it like “neah, i won’t brake, the car will do that for me”.

BogdanM

First Name
Bogdan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks guys. I have a couple scenarios I'm curious about:

1) Say you're driving 65 mph down the freeway and another car cuts in front of you at 40 mph. Will CMBS slow you down to 30-40 mph to a create safe distance (No ACC) or will it do a full stop?
It will avoid the crash, so it will bring the speed of your car bellow the speed of the car in front of you.
See here how it’s been tested in EU (where it is standard since 2017): (minute 2:08 onwards).

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
That's why I don't like this tech, it doesn't seem like it is made for real world situations and can, in extreme cases, even lead to an accident. It just seems like some tech they needed to throw in to stay competitive and add to the list of features being offered.

I think the best policy is to put the phone down, ignore distractions and be as close to 100% engaged in driving as you can be. Don't rely on tech to bail you out, be a better driver.
The best policy might be also to stop stealing and murdering people and just get along with each other. We know it's not gonna happen, so we need police. All people driving carefully is not even remotely possible.

The simple crash avoidance systems like the Honda CMBS (TM) are judged statistically. It seems like they are already good enough to provide more benefit than harm. That is, more people/property will be saved thanks to them, than lost because of them. Seeing how it works, I tend to believe this is currently true. But there is a very, very long way from this to self-driving cars on current roads.

Same thing as seat belts and air bags. They are statistically beneficial, but in some relatively rare cases they can kill, and they do.

VicPhantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic 2018
Country flag
i know this kind of driving habits happen everywhere in the world every minute, but i'ts dangerous. The guy could suddenly stop for whatever reason, and you will hit him.
In Calgary, Canada, I find 99% of the times when there is a pedestrian walking, drivers will wait for him to completely cross the road.
I do recognize the world is not perfect and there are so many crowded cities.

Just my 2 cents.

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
Not entirely true. The system knows (cares) if you are on the brake or not while approaching something. If you are on the brake the visual / auditive alerts will happen a bit later.
It does not, I know this for a fact driving 15k+ miles on our 18 Odyssey Elite.

Again, it calculates it based on instantaneous acceleration/velocity. Physics people here will know what I am talking about

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
It does care about the acceleration input. At least according to Honda.

"When the CMBSTM is activated, it will continue to
operate even if the accelerator pedal is partially
depressed. However, it will be canceled if the
accelerator pedal is deeply depressed."
Yes after it activates and you depress the pedal it will cancel the activation. But otherwise ignores accelerator position.

BogdanM

First Name
Bogdan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Man, do you understand that it reacts differently when you are barely touching the gas pedal as opposed to the case when you are doing the same with the brake pedal? In both situations the effective speed of the car is the same.

OP
OP
GermanCivic

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I've seen so many dash cam videos where it helped avoiding a crash especially rear-end collisions. Also those tests from the EuroNCAP, which was posted by @BogdanM where pretty impressive.

Here a Chrysler 200C from 2015:

BMW 3series:

And here the infamous scene with a Volvo truck:

Kia Optima:

I think those examples are pretty impressive and also real world situations.

daniellee789

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I was on the highway today, and this dumb chick in a Mazda CX-5 decided to cut me off when I was in the fast lane. I wasn't close to hitting her or anything, I braked adequately. But "BRAKE" flashed on my screen haha
Sponsored