newskate9

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Type-R, 16 Honda Pilot Elite
Country flag
This one might get me banned - but here goes.

I have the TSP Tune and am just thrilled with the way the car moves. I have yet to Map 3 and this question might explain a bit why. I've done Map 2 about 50% of the time, and I don't "push" it until I get at or above 3000 rpm. I'm pretty careful about this as I don't have reason to do more.

Before tuning, I'd watch the %Throttle and if was RARE that I approached 50% under any circumstances. The tuning readouts show the same numbers and I'm like, what the hell is driving this car forward with like 8% throttle, 4th gear and near 60mph. Something must be amiss.

The dumb question: THEN I read comments here about WOT - which, I think means, Wide Open Throttle. If that is the case, that would likely launch me into space. So the questions then: is that what WOT means? Is the response from 50 to 100 the same as 0 to 50%open? I am really missing the whole point here? I mean, in Map 2, 3k rpm roll-on, and giving it "gas", I get to triple digits pretty easily. Is the reading wrong? Am I NOT using half of the engine (i.e. throttle)?????

Be gentle, I'm new at this............. :)
Sponsored

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
This one might get me banned - but here goes.

I have the TSP Tune and am just thrilled with the way the car moves. I have yet to Map 3 and this question might explain a bit why. I've done Map 2 about 50% of the time, and I don't "push" it until I get at or above 3000 rpm. I'm pretty careful about this as I don't have reason to do more.

Before tuning, I'd watch the %Throttle and if was RARE that I approached 50% under any circumstances. The tuning readouts show the same numbers and I'm like, what the hell is driving this car forward with like 8% throttle, 4th gear and near 60mph. Something must be amiss.

The dumb question: THEN I read comments here about WOT - which, I think means, Wide Open Throttle. If that is the case, that would likely launch me into space. So the questions then: is that what WOT means? Is the response from 50 to 100 the same as 0 to 50%open? I am really missing the whole point here? I mean, in Map 2, 3k rpm roll-on, and giving it "gas", I get to triple digits pretty easily. Is the reading wrong? Am I NOT using half of the engine (i.e. throttle)?????

Be gentle, I'm new at this............. :)
WOT does indeed mean wide open throttle. The KTuner gauges don’t seem to be 100% accurate so maybe use the Si’s stock throttle gauge. I believe it’s the gauge that shows both throttle percentage and braking percentage.

Obviously if you don’t have your foot planted on the gas peddle then you are not going WOT. So yes I believe the Ktuner readings are not accurate in your case. I might be wrong so hopefully others will chime in.

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
you can be wot when using 50% pedal. it is drive by wire.
there is some technical reason why but the best thing to do is floor it in second and third to see what it really has on tap. be safe.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
The pedal percentage does not reflect the amount the actual throttle body is open. Especially once tuned. You could be at only 50 percent pedal and the throttle actually be wide open. The computer calculates and determines this. Basically it takes your pedal movement and determines what you want the car to do and compares it to every other piece of data and opens the throttle blade to whatever it deems necessary.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
Wow. I believe we were just typing at the same time lol

Last edited:

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Clearly this was not a dumb question as I did not understand the whole drive by wire tech

OP
OP
newskate9

newskate9

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Type-R, 16 Honda Pilot Elite
Country flag
OK - so continuing the learning........ I took a rainy drive today so no fun stuff. My KTuner % throttle and the dash number were in sync. This is not surprising since I'm assuming they are reading the same "output" signal. I did jump it a little bit and the numbers tracked. So then, what is % throttle / WOT really?

Examples: Is is % valve opening of the fuel injectors? % speed of the injectors? % of maximum signal to the fuel flow controlling device? % of movement of the gas peddle within some predetermined ranges? What physically is the signal indicating? During WOT, what actually is all of the way OPEN?

Clearly this is for fun and learning - I'm going to start another thread in a few minutes on another topic, so if I'm driving you nuts now, buckle up.

Oh and last but not least, sincere thanks for all the responses above. Learning is a big thing for me and I appreciate every drop I get.

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
OK - so continuing the learning........ I took a rainy drive today so no fun stuff. My KTuner % throttle and the dash number were in sync. This is not surprising since I'm assuming they are reading the same "output" signal. I did jump it a little bit and the numbers tracked. So then, what is % throttle / WOT really?

Examples: Is is % valve opening of the fuel injectors? % speed of the injectors? % of maximum signal to the fuel flow controlling device? % of movement of the gas peddle within some predetermined ranges? What physically is the signal indicating? During WOT, what actually is all of the way OPEN?

Clearly this is for fun and learning - I'm going to start another thread in a few minutes on another topic, so if I'm driving you nuts now, buckle up.

Oh and last but not least, sincere thanks for all the responses above. Learning is a big thing for me and I appreciate every drop I get.
WOT = Throttle body open 100%.

TheKevinlyFather

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe (Sold), 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec (SH-AWD)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm on stock everything. I leave my gauge on the Throttle/Brake % metric. When I floor it, my throttle gauge goes to 100% (indicating WOT). If I give it half gas, I'm at about 50%.

The difference you see is just a result of running a tuned ECU.

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
you can be wot when using 50% pedal. it is drive by wire.
there is some technical reason why but the best thing to do is floor it in second and third to see what it really has on tap. be safe.
The pedal percentage does not reflect the amount the actual throttle body is open. Especially once tuned. You could be at only 50 percent pedal and the throttle actually be wide open. The computer calculates and determines this. Basically it takes your pedal movement and determines what you want the car to do and compares it to every other piece of data and opens the throttle blade to whatever it deems necessary.
Do you guys have a source for WOT when pedal is pressed down 50%? That's not right even if your explanation is it's drive by wire and computer controlled.

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
Yes you can tweak a car with drive by wire to open the throttle fully when the gas pedal is pressed only 50%.
Hell you can do it with only 20% if you want to. You can also go the other way around. 75% of gas pedal equal to half way open throttle valve.
All depends on the tuning program if allow you to do it.

Now if you think harder if you set the throttle to fully open at 50% gas pedal. It means that the valve will rotate two times when the gas pedal is fully pressed creating a swirling effect in the intake manifold resulting in more power. J/K hahaha

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
Do you guys have a source for WOT when pedal is pressed down 50%? That's not right even if your explanation is it's drive by wire and computer controlled.
Why not.
In the past throttle was handled by a cable physically connected to the gas pedal. Worked similar to bicycle brakes.

Since a decade ago cars are coming without a physical cable that connects the gas pedal and throttle body spring. Now the gas pedal is some kind of switch and the throttle body has a motor integrated that reacts depending on the input of the gas pedal.

A reference table in the ECU programming will dictate the relationship between the gas pedal and the throttle body motor.
It could say something like
15% (Gas Pedal) = 10% Throttle Body
25% (Gas Pedal) = 20% Throttle Body
50% (Gas Pedal) = 60% Throttle Body

What ever the manufacturer decided. Is super simple.

Last edited:

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
the THROTTLE PEDAL % (how much you push down on your foot) can be different from THROTTLE PLATE % (how much the throttle body is open)

it's basically what cars do to increase throttle response with different driving modes.

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag

if you have more questions about this then you should do some research and look into the stock throttle reactions. you can use ktuner and various other logging equipment to determine if we are lying to you about this.
I was responding from experience with this car in an informal response.
if you need proof then do the research.

Sometimes i get tired of people. i am not perfect and don't expect others to be perfect either,
but sometimes people tickle my unfunny bone with quick snappy responses made from faulty logic instead of experience.
I guess i need to go back and read some of my own incorrect posts so i can get some perspective.

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
Yes you can tweak a car with drive by wire to open the throttle fully when the gas pedal is pressed only 50%.
Hell you can do it with only 20% if you want to. You can also go the other way around. 75% of gas pedal equal to half way open throttle valve.
All depends on the tuning program if allow you to do it.

Now if you think harder if you set the throttle to fully open at 50% gas pedal. It means that the valve will rotate two times when the gas pedal is fully pressed creating a swirling effect in the intake manifold resulting in more power. J/K hahaha
Theoretically sure but we're talking about real world application. If you want to tell people 50% gas pedal will get you WOT on stock tune or one of the KTuner OTS maps I call BS.
Sponsored