To Whom It May Concern: Sport Mode Works Intake Cam Angle? (Answered and edited for clarity)

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
Just posting because I always thought it did and **thought I** verified it tonight.

What I was seeing was the case but was based on load vs. throttle mapping.

Non sport **seemed to**command less intake cam advance.

Sport mode basically kept it full advance.

While cruising steady state at 70mph.

The difference seems to be about 20-25* on the intake cam.

Dont know who this will benefit but explains to me why the car really prefers to be in one mode at all times. (this remains true for me)

The computer will always be self adjusting everything between modes because the cam command changes the other tables (fueling, timing, etc.)
** So it seemed to me but this is just a perception of difference between the throttle command mapping between modes**

Just thought I'd share.
Sponsored

Last edited:

D-RobIMW

www.imwtuned.com
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2001 Integra Type R, 2019 RDX A-Spec
Country flag
There are no changes to VTC on intake or exhaust command between normal and "Sport" modes; where are you seeing this?

There are very few things the ECU "learns" dynamically.

Throttle mapping (Pedal versus commanded plate opening) is the big noticeable change, which may lead you to believe cam angle is moving (as you're hitting higher load cells on the VTC maps at less throttle pedal position).

OP
OP
PowerPerLiter

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
There are no changes to VTC on intake or exhaust command between normal and "Sport" modes; where are you seeing this?

There are very few things the ECU "learns" dynamically.

Throttle mapping (Pedal versus commanded plate opening) is the big noticeable change, which may lead you to believe cam angle is moving (as you're hitting higher load cells on the VTC maps at less throttle pedal position).

I had assumed the registered load would remain similar...

Noticed during highway speed cruising at 70 mph flat road with same throttle percentage. Your explanation does makes sense. Thank you for the clarification. I was watching cam command on the logger and every time I switched back and forth the cam command would go from 32-33* advance to 56* from non-sport to sport mode respectively. I was just observing through the app logger and not actually recording.

I also observed some other things I was going to post about.

Such as, every time I am on and off throttle at any speed or load the afr target jumps to 12.5 for a second or longer at times and then recovers back to 14.7. I have tried a few different things and cant seem to affect this. Something I am stuck with? It plays with my fuel trims for a while until it all averages out but is starting to drive me crazy wondering if this is a normal characteristic.

I took video and will upload later.

Also noticed the throttle percentage readout on the dash never matches either throttle command or throttle plate (it was almost like it averaged the two together)

THANKS D-ROB.

This is why I post threads like this....

Much appreciated.
Sponsored

Last edited: