To all the people modifying without a tuning option...

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
If only retuning doesn't void your warranty :( I'd jump in a heartbeat. For now I'm just aiming for aesthetics (i.e. better sounding car, etc.)

OP
OP
.grimace

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If only retuning doesn't void your warranty :( I'd jump in a heartbeat
It'll make them likely not cover drive train issues but it doesn't void your entire warranty. Plus lifes too short I've been tuned for a long time now using their 91 and 93 tunes and no issues even tracking it. Just do it

Deleted member 25522

I went with Hondata (otherwise stock) and I'm loving it! Some track days and a set of Pilot Sport Cup 2 will be next.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Since I see this come up all the time I thought this article was a great read. Proves that bolts ons are doing next to nothing without a tuner to change the torque tables.

Cliffs: Get k-tuner/ Hondata first or you're just making extra noise. But really get Hondata ;)

https://dsportmag.com/the-tech/test-tune-2018-honda-civic-type-r-part-1/
It may be the case that the torque tables prevent gains from bolt on, but that's not what this test showed. Even after flashing with Hondata, the aftermarket intake and exhaust demonstrated about the same 5-6 whp delta as they did without the flash. This is is exact opposite of the point that they were hoping to make.

All this test showed was that a reflash adds power.

OP
OP
.grimace

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That is a good way to look at it too. In my opinion then it just shows an intake and exhaust add next to nothing (exhaust TQ gains were impressive though)

Last edited:

VinRRR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R16017
Country flag
With the stock intake, the torque jumps to 100 at 2000rpm. With AEM intake, it takes a little longer to get to 100. I assume this is why people are saying there’s a loss of low end torque with intake. Also, peak gain is so misleading. Gain through out the entire curve is more usable IMO.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
Well i can tell you this, myself and a friend both have type Rs. He did an exhaust and a few things minor, no tune and was faster then me. I got a exhaust, intake, intercooler and NO tune. Now im faster then him and im carrying a spare tire kit with no weight savings im actually heavier. Hes shaved close to 200lbs off his car and im still faster . So um yeah bolt ons do something without a tune.

Deleted member 25522

Well i can tell you this, myself and a friend both have type Rs. He did an exhaust and a few things minor, no tune and was faster then me. I got a exhaust, intake, intercooler and NO tune. Now im faster then him and im carrying a spare tire kit with no weight savings im actually heavier. Hes shaved close to 200lbs off his car and im still faster . So um yeah bolt ons do something without a tune.
Switch drivers and see if your car is still faster?

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Switch drivers and see if your car is still faster?
We did, it was, three drivers matter of fact. We all own Rs. If you see my other posts you know we have a group here of many R owners. We drive each others all the time after mods.

Patrick Bateman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 FK8, ‘19 XC60 R-Design, ‘17 ZL1, ‘02 SS
Country flag
200#? Call me skeptical.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
200#? Call me skeptical.
Well first he got rid of the 53lb battery and had some tiny lithium motor cycle battery, he got some super lightweight wheels.and tires and replaced stuff with aluminum.parts, took out all the stuff from the trunk.....cant remember everything. Guys been modding cars forever. If ya really want get picky hes like 135lbs im 250. I had full tank gas he was almost empty. Blah blah i bet if we were on scales i was more like 400 heavier then him and still was faster. Oh i had prl intercooler he had oem thats a chuck of weight also. Bottom line i was way heavier and still was faster.

Last edited:
OP
OP
.grimace

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Read the article again. It doesn’t say bolt ons do nothing without a tune. Just they do very little. Exhaust gained 16tq or so which was impressive but 5hp or so is meh

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Amazing that an exhaust gains anything with the 1.9" i.d. exit restriction of the factory front pipe (and the OE DP) remaining in place.
Sponsored