Titan 7 Civic Type-R wheel request (18x8.5 ET60 5x120)

CrossOut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type-R
Country flag
Hey guys, I've been lurking for a long time now. I have recently got in contact with the guys at Titan 7 and are considering making Type-R wheels in 18x8.5 ET60 5x120. It can be done. They want to make sure there is plenty of interest to go into full production for these wheels. I believe one production run is 20 wheels (or 20 sets) either way this isn't a lot!

If you got a moment please send them a quick message on their Facebook and show them you got interest and are actually wanting to buy! Don't spam them just to them! Just send a quick message saying you are looking for these wheels and thank them for considering our request.

18x8.5 ET60 5x120

https://www.facebook.com/titan7wheels/
Sponsored

HRace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Country flag
I'm interested. Maybe I'm the only one?! Maybe hard to get 20 people to agree on any one wheel? Something like this used to be in demand (or at least talked about a lot) but maybe everyone has given up and gone 18 x 9.5 + 45.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
Why would anyone want such a small skinny wheel?

I assume you’re still stuck on that one unproven article saying going with a lower offset adds torque steer? We’ve all gone with different wheels and found out that author was full of shit.

OP
OP

CrossOut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type-R
Country flag
Why would anyone want such a small skinny wheel?

I assume you’re still stuck on that one unproven article saying going with a lower offset adds torque steer? We’ve all gone with different wheels and found out that author was full of shit.

I mentioned this in another thread but I'll paste it here..
Thanks for the reply,

My explanation will probably be grossly over simplified and have the wrong terminology.. engineering explained does a much better job at this. I suggest checking him out.

The idea behind going with 8.5 in et60 is because the center line of the wheel would be in line with the pivot axis reducing the scrub radius to almost zero. (-1 in the case of the type r's stock wheels)

Pushing 9.5 would give slightly better traction however you would gain back a bunch of torque steer. (More friction and grab of the tires makes torque steer even worst) so to again eliminate torque steer with 9.5 would require an offset of 60 to get the center of the wheel inline with the axis of pivot.

There are several people actually tracking their type r's on YouTube running 18x8.5 et 35-40 and 9.5 et 40s. Any bloke can stick wheels on his car and tell you he doesn't notice any torque steer.. The real drivers that are honest will tell you that they are noticing a lot more torque steer to the point where they actually are having to fight it! And I'm not taking about torque steer in a straight line. The car handles that pretty well.. go flat out in a turn or coming out of the turn, the stock type r even sees torque steer which is 10x worst with the wrong wheels!

Over all, you'll get much better performance switching to better tires like ps4s on stock wheels than you would get simply by switching to 18x9.5 et40's.

Are 9.5 a bad idea? No i don't think so. But the car isn't designed to accommodate them. They already make 18x9.5 et40 so no point in requesting them. Can we request et60. Yes, we can. But those won't be type r specific and they still wouldn't fit the role we are wanting.
Going to 9.5 et60 could be done however there may be Fitment issues with that extra half inch and the cars suspension.

J o n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Z/28, '22 Ridgeline , '22 CR-V Hybrid
Country flag

Going to 9.5 et60 could be done however there may be Fitment issues with that extra half inch and the cars suspension.
I mentioned to you in the other thread too, your interpretation of how scrub radius being impacted due to wheel width increasing while wheel offset remaining at +60, is not correct.

A wheel's offset is constant and remains the same off the wheel's center. An 8.5" width wheel and a 9.5" width wheel with the same +60 offset have the exact same wheel center. The 9.5" just has an additional .5" on the front of the wheel and .5" on back of the wheel.

Use this tool to visualize it, great resource when specing wheel and tires setups

https://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

Last edited:

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

so like I said you think it will affect torque steer. Get a 18x9.5” wheel and you’ll never notice any difference.

literally hundreds of us tracking on this setup and we all say it feels perfect no change. If you can find the torque steer let me know... lots with 100whp/ tq more than me as well.

OP
OP

CrossOut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type-R
Country flag
Lot of interesting feedback.. it might be worth making a pool regarding the "perfect" wheel size for the type r..

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I also thought that would bring far more buyers to the table.
I don't know about far more, but it'll be nice to have options. People tend to pick between NSX wheels and Motegis. I think Maybe Titan 7 will be price competitive with NSX ones and maybe easier to get(NSX wheels needs dealer who are willing to sell you).. Motegis are actually well priced and not crazy heavy, hence its actually pretty popular option.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Make that 19 and ET53 and we can buy it for SCCA autoX....lol
this will get you farther than an 18x8.5” +60. That size is worthless sadly

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
Hey guys, I've been lurking for a long time now. I have recently got in contact with the guys at Titan 7 and are considering making Type-R wheels in 18x8.5 ET60 5x120. It can be done. They want to make sure there is plenty of interest to go into full production for these wheels. I believe one production run is 20 wheels (or 20 sets) either way this isn't a lot!

If you got a moment please send them a quick message on their Facebook and show them you got interest and are actually wanting to buy! Don't spam them just to them! Just send a quick message saying you are looking for these wheels and thank them for considering our request.

18x8.5 ET60 5x120

https://www.facebook.com/titan7wheels/
I posted on their wall FWIW

OP
OP

CrossOut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type-R
Country flag
this will get you farther than an 18x8.5” +60. That size is worthless sadly
Not all useless.. most type r owners don't track their car and are happy with the stock wheel specs but want to get away from driving on rubber bands. Not too mention the 280 per tire cost.. ps4s on stock wheels are 260-290.. on 265x45x18 they're 160-180 each! Wheels Will be paid off in 4-5 tire changes.

Side note, 265x45x18 are the same tires as Tesla model 3 and model s which drive the price down that much more! And More availability!

J o n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Z/28, '22 Ridgeline , '22 CR-V Hybrid
Country flag
Best bet, for you, since you're waiting on 20+ people to join you in your desires, before Titan even considers the production run (which is doubtful).

Contact forgestar wheels. They offer complete custom specs. Very reasonable pricing too. Turn around time depends on how you want the wheel finished.

OP
OP

CrossOut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type-R
Country flag
What's their pricing usually? I'm trying to go with Titan since my budget is only around 2k..
Sponsored