Tires for daily Type Rs

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
255 35 20 might be beneficial for me since this car runs out at 80 at 3rd. Was chasing a m3 on Angeles crest and didn't want to short shift .

Bumflik

First Name
Kinte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Wrangler . Sienna . Civic Type R FK8 '17
Country flag
I am getting to the end of my stock Continentals and in the market for new tires. I will be bumping up to 255/35/20 to get a little more side wall and preferably want a tire that'll last at least 3 years (~12K-15K miles/year). Longevity seems to be in the A/S tires, so my list only shows A/S, but I am open to suggestions for Summer tires being that I'm in Houston, TX; just need good wet performance because it can go from bone dry to wet without warning here.
  • Michelin Pilot Sport 3+ A/S: $240 ($222 at Costco); 45K mile warranty - My favorite
  • Continental Extreme Contact DSW 06: $203; 50K mile warranty
  • Yokohama ADVAN Sport A/S: $170; 50K mile warranty
  • General GMAX AS-05: $149; 50K mile warranty (recommended by the Tire Rack customer service...)
  • BFGoodrich G-Force Comp 2 A/S: $145; 45K mile warranty

Also, Discount Tire is having a rebate sale next week for Memorial Day weekend; ~$100-150 off depending on the tires and using their credit card.
I just put 255/35/20 General G max tires on her last week. Good price and beat Yokohama and Hankook for wet traction and snow. Very comfortable and let me tell ya, they handle pretty well when turning and handling around curves. I also got to stop on a dime . i drove aggressive on the winding roads and straight a way expressway last eve.

Honda Civic 10th gen Tires for daily Type Rs IMG_06121

Honda Civic 10th gen Tires for daily Type Rs IMG_06141

Honda Civic 10th gen Tires for daily Type Rs IMG_06161

mrcivictyper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW CTR
Country flag
I like the suggestion of putting on 35 series to get some additional cushion. Has anyone noticed any issues with this bump in size? I feel with normal driving and not pushing the car to its limits will be fairly safe. Am I right to think, the abs might not be effective when used? Sorry if this has already been asked.

I like the look of the 35 series. It seems to fill in the wheel gap better, unless you car is dropped...

Last edited:
OP
OP
tuxmonkey

tuxmonkey

R-00330
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #330, '17 Jeep GC Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just put 255/35/20 General G max tires on her last week. Good price and beat Yokohama and Hankook for wet traction and snow. Very comfortable and let me tell ya, they handle pretty well when turning and handling around curves. I also got to stop on a dime . i drove aggressive on the winding roads and straight a way expressway last eve.
Look good! I ended up going with 245/35 Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06. They were cheaper than 255/35. The past few days have been nothing but heavy rain and standing water, and is the first major wet road test for these new tires. Going down the wet highway at 65-70mph and hitting areas of accumulated water didn't slow me down. I didn't even feel a change going from the normal wet concrete to the giant puddles; cut through like a knife. I have felt very safe and I am happy with the purchase. Dry traction feels great as well for A/S tires.

I like the suggestion of putting on 35 series to get some additional cushion. Has anyone noticed any issues with this bump in size? I feel with normal driving and not pushing the car to its limits will be fairly safe. Am I right to think, the abs might not be effective when used? Sorry if this has already been asked.
No issues even when my car has been full of people. Why wouldn't the ABS function?

mrcivictyper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW CTR
Country flag
I am not saying it wouldn't function. My bad if my question wasn't clear. I just remember reading an article a while back where they mention keeping the diameter the same as stock or you may potentially run into issues (the sensors can't measure the speed accurately because it is expecting the stock tires). Since some of you have already switched to a 35 series vs the stock 30 series, I wanted to know if you've noticed anything different. I hope this makes more sense.

Edit: I think the past few post already confirmed there isn't an issue. Thank you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tuxmonkey

tuxmonkey

R-00330
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #330, '17 Jeep GC Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am not saying it wouldn't function. My bad if my question wasn't clear. I just remember reading an article a while back where they mention keeping the diameter the same as stock or you may potentially run into issues (the sensors can't measure the speed accurately because it is expecting the stock tires). Since some of you have already switched to a 35 series vs the stock 30 series, I wanted to know if you've noticed anything different. I hope this makes more sense.

Edit: I think the past few post already confirmed there isn't an issue. Thank you.
The only issues I have heard regarding wheel/tire-related things is lowering the car with shorter springs and the TPMS Honda is using now.
  • Lowering below 1" trips errors and the car won't even start.
  • Our TPMS measures rotational velocity compared to its calibration value. So when you get new tires go into the System Settings on the head unit and recalibrate, then drive around for a while. The TPMS will then store that new value and compare to it over time.

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Tires for daily Type Rs image Honda Civic 10th gen Tires for daily Type Rs image Can someone please tell me what's going on with my tires ? Stock tires .

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
image.jpg image.jpg Can someone please tell me what's going on with my tires ? Stock tires .
You've been enjoying them :)

They are soft, the rubber comes off and then sticks to the groves on the tire. Nothing to worry about. Funny you're seeing this on the street. With harder tires you need to do track work to get them to look like that.

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You've been enjoying them :)

They are soft, the rubber comes off and then sticks to the groves on the tire. Nothing to worry about. Funny you're seeing this on the street. With harder tires you need to do track work to get them to look like that.
You sure I don't need to have it looked at ? Not bad alignment or something like that ?

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
You sure I don't need to have it looked at ? Not bad alignment or something like that ?
I can assure you the tires aren't damaged. It happens when the tire is warm. Soft tires don't need much warmth for this to happen, hard tires need a lot of heat. You could generate heat from driving in a spirited manner or a bad toe setting, but in that case it wouldn't happen to all your tires. Do all your tires look like that, or just one?

If they all look like that, you're fine.

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I can assure you the tires aren't damaged. It happens when the tire is warm. Soft tires don't need much warmth for this to happen, hard tires need a lot of heat. You could generate heat from driving in a spirited manner or a bad toe setting, but in that case it wouldn't happen to all your tires. Do all your tires look like that, or just one?

If they all look like that, you're fine.
Only the 2 in the back . I do have a 25 mm sway bar in the back you think that's part of the reason ? I noticed this since the last canyon drive . Flat out for like 2 hours .

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Eibach? If so, any other suspension changes?

Yea. Eibach 25mm at soft setting. No other mods.

This guy has the same tire issue like i do. Only I haven't take the car on a track yet. But I don't think I go any slower on canyons.

7:05 for the tires.
Sponsored