Tired of dealing with so many idiots at dealerships!

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I've been looking at Civics for a while. I'm either going with an EX-L sedan or the upcoming hatch. My experience going back and forth with multiple dealers getting quotes has been horrible. I have to say the people I've dealt with for the most part are clueless (salespeople, internet managers) and don't even respond to my questions. It's as if some of them don't even read what I write.

Perfect example:

I saw a dealership that had multiple EX-L's in stock in Cosmic Blue. So I wrote them and let them know I was interested. I also told them I had a best quote of $21,499 on the car from another local dealer (including destination and doc fees). I asked if they could match or beat the price. Simple, right?

Well here's what the "salesman" sent me back:

Honda Civic 10th gen Tired of dealing with so many idiots at dealerships! Capture.JPG

So basically, I told him I had a great price from another dealer for $3,000 off sticker that included freight and doc fees. His counter offer was $1,200 off sticker plus he has to add freight and processing to that quote. Doesn't the guy realize how dumb this is? He just quoted me $2,000 more than the other dealer. WTF?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That "offer" is insulting when '17s are right around the corner. When one sales guy doesn't read your email properly, and really, doesn't use basic logic, its on to the next one. Had the same thing happen to me, and I was on to the next one. Volume dealers are a dime a dozen.

Since I'm kind of an ass, I'd probably get back at them by emailing all of Sport's salespeople independently to see if they change their offer of if all they can do is a canned response.

GAVZDAD

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
so say we all
They're not responding much because they get hundreds of emails every day from people who never show up or have any intention of buying a car. I don't know why people email a dealer anyway, get off your butt and go down there. I'm sure the salesmen would rather people do that anyway.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know why people email a dealer anyway, get off your butt and go down there.
Maybe you have more money and time than I do. I prefer to do research first, pick a dealer that seems willing to work with me and then I go in person to buy. I think your comment basically telling me I'm lazy is not just a crock, it's insulting to many members here who use the internet for research. Seriously dude.

GAVZDAD

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
so say we all
Maybe you have more money and time than I do. I prefer to do research first, pick a dealer that seems willing to work with me and then I go in person to buy. I think your comment basically telling me I'm lazy is not just a crock, it's insulting to many members here who use the internet for research. Seriously dude.
My comment was meant kinda light hearted. See the smiley face? But still, why not just go down there in person? I didnt say anyone was lazy, I was just saying go to the dealer instead of sitting there sending them letters. More money and time? WTF? And I'm sorry bud, but if my not vulgar or insulting post bothers you that bad, you're in for a shock when you get out in the real world. Again, meant light heartedly. ;)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I was in sales for 20+ years. I understand the game. I recently lost my wife to a tragic illness and I don't deal with bullshit real well these days. So for me, shopping (getting quotes) on the internet works best. When I get a good deal, I'll hit up the stealership in person.;)

Last edited:

Ma_deuce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500, 2002 ZX2, 2017 Si Coupe
I was in sales for 20+ years. I understand the game. I recently lost my wife to a tragic illness and I don't deal with bullshit real well these days. So for me, shopping (getting quotes) on the internet works best. When I get a good deal, I'll hit up the stealership in person.;)
You were in sales 20 years and you don't recognize an automated email when you see one?!?!?

Money talks. Do you really expect people to jump all over your emails at the chance to lose money?

YankeesJTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe LX, 2007 Toyota Tacoma 2.7l 4cyl MT, 2013 Honda Fit
I actually had better luck going back and forth with the dealers online, after the initial automated message. I replied with what i was looking for. and got communication back from an actual person. I dealt with 4 different Honda dealers and 3 Mazda dealers and with the exception of one, they were very responsive.

HondaMatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord EX V6 2015 Honda Accord Coupe
My advice is to wait until you get a chance to figure out if you would rather get the hatch. If you fall in love with the hatch, the great price you get on the sedan doesn't mean much.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ma_duece...

What I posted was the automated response, I know what that was. Subsequently though, we back and forth messaged several and times he gave me a cock and bull story and stuck with the original automated quote.

Here's the point I was trying to make. On their website, I made an inquiry on a particular vehicle and told them of the quote I had gotten on the same car. He simply ignored that and gave me his quote for $2000 more. That was my point about dealing with idiots.

All he needed to say was "we can't match it". It was as if English was a foreign language to him. Or maybe he looks at customers as idiots.

I know you work for Honda and maybe all the salespeople at your dealership are great. I've dealt with many less than great that (forgetting the price quote bs) simply don't even know their product.

16extsense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T with Sensing
Country flag
edmunds.com (or truecar, etc)

When they know you come from edmunds.com, they know you're getting quotes from other dealerships as well. For dealers, to quote a high price is to lose the game.

Customers are idiots, except some of us.

Godkillah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring Aegean Blue
I've been looking at Civics for a while. I'm either going with an EX-L sedan or the upcoming hatch. My experience going back and forth with multiple dealers getting quotes has been horrible. I have to say the people I've dealt with for the most part are clueless (salespeople, internet managers) and don't even respond to my questions. It's as if some of them don't even read what I write.

Perfect example:

I saw a dealership that had multiple EX-L's in stock in Cosmic Blue. So I wrote them and let them know I was interested. I also told them I had a best quote of $21,499 on the car from another local dealer (including destination and doc fees). I asked if they could match or beat the price. Simple, right?

Well here's what the "salesman" sent me back:

Capture.JPG

So basically, I told him I had a great price from another dealer for $3,000 off sticker that included freight and doc fees. His counter offer was $1,200 off sticker plus he has to add freight and processing to that quote. Doesn't the guy realize how dumb this is? He just quoted me $2,000 more than the other dealer. WTF?
UH am I the only dumbass here who doesn't understand why you are emailing other dealers instead of taking the $3,000 off you have been offered by the one dealer? What the fuck is the point of this thread go buy that one and stop complaining.

xcivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
I agree with the above post, why waste your time when you know you have a great deal?
To me, it sounds like you're getting greedy.

Last edited:

uokrol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic WOP Ex-T, 2014 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
Country flag
UH am I the only dumbass here who doesn't understand why you are emailing other dealers instead of taking the $3,000 off you have been offered by the one dealer? What the fuck is the point of this thread go buy that one and stop complaining.
Yea, what's the point of matching? LOL. UNLESS that other quote was BS and you are just trying to get the price down to what you want.
Sponsored