Tire/Wheel choice for an old guy...

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Ok I did a forum search and read/scanned the wheel-tire-20" vs. 19" vs. 18" threads. I understand everyone has an opinion related to how they plan to use their CTR. I am buying because I like the car. I do NOT plan to track nor pylon race this car. I am not too concerned about sharpness of turn-in, whether the sidewall gets scrubbed off from hard cornering, if it makes the car "feel" slower from a dig or whether it creates over/understeer. Torque steer is a minor concern, but again I don't anticipate too many "dumped" clutch starts, full power out of a corner nor power shifts. Finalizing the deal today and may buy a tire/wheel warranty due to expense of replacement wheels depending on policy cost/benefits. The car will Not be a daily driver, but a back-up for year round use(not for when streets are knee deep in snow like this weekend). This area has significant potholes as many areas do and would hate to bend a $1200 plus wheel that has limited availability. At present time leaning towards keeping OEM wheels and installing All Season tires at the 245/35/20 size to gain some sidewall height. Thoughts? suggestions? Thanks.
Sponsored

wuaname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Si sedan
Country flag
Ok I did a forum search and read/scanned the wheel-tire-20" vs. 19" vs. 18" threads. I understand everyone has an opinion related to how they plan to use their CTR. I am buying because I like the car. I do NOT plan to track nor pylon race this car. I am not too concerned about sharpness of turn-in, whether the sidewall gets scrubbed off from hard cornering, if it makes the car "feel" slower from a dig or whether it creates over/understeer. Torque steer is a minor concern, but again I don't anticipate too many "dumped" clutch starts, full power out of a corner nor power shifts. Finalizing the deal today and may buy a tire/wheel warranty due to expense of replacement wheels depending on policy cost/benefits. The car will Not be a daily driver, but a back-up for year round use(not for when streets are knee deep in snow like this weekend). This area has significant potholes as many areas do and would hate to bend a $1200 plus wheel that has limited availability. At present time leaning towards keeping OEM wheels and installing All Season tires at the 245/35/20 size to gain some sidewall height. Thoughts? suggestions? Thanks.
TL;DR What was the question again?

OP
OP
wildbilly32

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sorry to consume so much of your time.:D If you have read the previous threads on this subject
you would understand why. Thanks.
TL;DR What was the question again?

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
Suggestion: Use the stock wheel and tire until they have worn out completely.You then can revisit wheel/tire expenditure. The wheels are VERY AVAILABLE and not as weak as has been suggested.
In short, get your moneys worth and enjoy it as is. (and it is awesome!!!!)

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
Suggestion: Use the stock wheel and tire until they have worn out completely.You then can revisit wheel/tire expenditure. The wheels are VERY AVAILABLE and not as weak as has been suggested.
:agree:

Keep in mind if you do go 245/35/20 that is a pretty significant size change IMO and will affect speedo/odo readings.

OP
OP
wildbilly32

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah, thanks. I read the 8 page post on this issue. If my memory serves me it
would give about 0.7 inch of additional sidewall and jack the speedo by some 2.8 mph at 60mph, but my memory might be wrong. There was a crap load of good info in that thread.
:agree:

Keep in mind if you do go 245/35/20 that is a pretty significant size change IMO and will affect speedo/odo readings.

OP
OP
wildbilly32

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I might do that and just be careful. I bought the five year warrantee on tires-wheels-door dings. Interesting enough when the kid had a bent rim on his CTR Honda told him there was only one available in the U.S.!?

oriali

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R CW
Country flag
I might do that and just be careful. I bought the five year warrantee on tires-wheels-door dings. Interesting enough when the kid had a bent rim on his CTR Honda told him there was only one available in the U.S.!?
This wouldn't be the Tire & Road Hazard protection would it?

If not, you can ignore the rest of this post... just adding my thoughts to people looking at getting this warranty / protection:

I've looked into it in depth this past weekend, and as far as I can tell this is really only good for damage due to road hazards. Lots of intentionally vague descriptions from the Business unit at the dealer + the Honda Canada website (it appears you are from Southern Ontario). A family member who I spoke with that works at Honda Service told me he has denied many, many claims because people can't prove that the damage was due to road hazards (e.g. misplaced man hole cover, potholes). Not to say it's impossible to get your wheel / rim replaced, but there are many restrictions.

And, as far as I can tell, you have to make a claim against the city first anyways if your car was damaged as a result of road hazard (again, potholes and the like).

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
Yeah, thanks. I read the 8 page post on this issue. If my memory serves me it
would give about 0.7 inch of additional sidewall and jack the speedo by some 2.8 mph at 60mph, but my memory might be wrong. There was a crap load of good info in that thread.
That sounds right. Definitely a lot of good information in that thread. I guess the odometer error works in your favor too.

OP
OP
wildbilly32

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Nope, Nebraska, U.S.
This wouldn't be the Tire & Road Hazard protection would it?

If not, you can ignore the rest of this post... just adding my thoughts to people looking at getting this warranty / protection:

I've looked into it in depth this past weekend, and as far as I can tell this is really only good for damage due to road hazards. Lots of intentionally vague descriptions from the Business unit at the dealer + the Honda Canada website (it appears you are from Southern Ontario). A family member who I spoke with that works at Honda Service told me he has denied many, many claims because people can't prove that the damage was due to road hazards (e.g. misplaced man hole cover, potholes). Not to say it's impossible to get your wheel / rim replaced, but there are many restrictions.

And, as far as I can tell, you have to make a claim against the city first anyways if your car was damaged as a result of road hazard (again, potholes and the like).
Sponsored