Hazardjackson

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Hey everyone, first post. Got my Civic Si a few weeks ago after checking out a lot of cars. Love it. Have started looking at wheels for some sticky summer tires. I like to go on the back roads/ mountain roads here and have fun with it. The roads are often not perfect, with weird dips and imperfections.

From reading other threads it seems like the Type R size 245 width will fit with no issues in the Si. I am debating 18" rims with 245 width vs. 19 or 20". The 18" wheels will be around 6lbs lighter per wheel/tire and take little bumps and whatnot better. However being able to corner harder with the 20" is something that seems appealing. The price is also much lower for 18" wheels/tires. Aesthetic is not really a concern.

The difference is 1" on the sidewall height.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Unless your roads are perfect, don't do 20's. Check out the amount of posts where Type R guys swap them out for 18's.

Personally, I think 18's are the sweet spot for the Si. Lighter wheels with grippier tires will be all you need. Any bigger is mostly for looks.

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
larger wheels won't give you better cornering performance, the tires will. Depending on the tire, sidewall strength and tire compound plays a much bigger role in how the car will handle than how much sidewall you got. Just look at F1 cars with their massive sidewalls.

Yonder

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'll second what @Benster said. More tire is more grip and more side wall to flex when going around corners.
Go 17's with a thicker sidewall if cheaper priced tires and performance is what you're looking for. Not saying 17's are better than18's, but one can hold more tire.
Here is a photo for reference. 17x9 +40 - 255/40/R17

Honda Civic 10th gen Tire Sidewall Height/ Performance Otay (smaller)
Sponsored