Tire Pressure Monitoring System

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
i will never understand why vehicle manufacturers think there is a need for this (TPMS)

if people are too stupid to check their tires every week or two then they shouldn't be driving,

TPMS causes more frustration for most owners then it does good for them,

i am glad my car doesn't have it
It's federally mandated.
Sponsored

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
the readout at least on my ILX and the NX300 is actually quite accurate to what the pressure gauge i use shows.

but then again, if you have 5 different tire pressure gauges i can bet most of them if not all will read differently. Nobody out there is going to be bothering to calibrate a tire pressure gauge on a frequent basis to make sure it's 100% accurate.

Tmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ext; 2019 civic type r
Country flag
At first I thought the system for Honda was trash and often threw out false low readings but I can attest that it worked correctly for me this morning. Im running different wheels and tires than stock and have recalibrated the tpms when I mounted them. Light came on yesterday and I check my tires: 32 32 32 and 30. Seems to have worked properly for me this time.

Tmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ext; 2019 civic type r
Country flag
At first I thought the system for Honda was trash and often threw out false low readings but I can attest that it worked correctly for me this morning. Im running different wheels and tires than stock and have recalibrated the tpms when I mounted them. Light came on yesterday and I check my tires: 32 32 32 and 30. Seems to have worked properly for me this time.
FML. But I'm glad the tpms warned me. $217 for another one and barely put 1k miles

Honda Civic 10th gen Tire Pressure Monitoring System IMG_20200107_085717_956

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
FML. But I'm glad the tpms warned me. $217 for another one and barely put 1k miles

IMG_20200107_085717_956.jpg
Nah. You’re good. Just make sure you check your tires every week or so. And don’t forget that windshield washer fluid. :rofl:

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
My pressure warning has nagged me 3 times with no corresponding drop/rise in ambient temperature nor any drop in tire pressure. I just check the tire pressure immediately and then "calibrate" the next morning on the way to work and it goes away for a month or two.

Maxum

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si
Country flag
Far as I can tell, only the US versions have any sort of tire pressure monitoring. I was surprised mine didn't have it; even my old Jeep Wrangler has TPMS...which is silly in a Jeep when I run the tires half flat often times anyway.

Maxum

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si
Country flag

IMG_20200107_085717_956.jpg
have tire/wheel warranty? I bought that over some of the other extras I was offered; well worth it given the price of tires and wheels. They cover any tires you have installed apparently.

CTSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
My pressure warning has nagged me 3 times with no corresponding drop/rise in ambient temperature nor any drop in tire pressure. I just check the tire pressure immediately and then "calibrate" the next morning on the way to work and it goes away for a month or two.
As stated elsewhere above, TPMS is a federal requirement in the U.S., not a complicated gadget added at the whim of the manufacturer. I doubt that they would add the cost and complication if they didn't have to, as apparently they don't bother with it in the rest of the world. Many of us have driven OK for many years without it and still could. Honda does take a different approach in looking for an imbalance among the wheels rather than direct measurement of tire pressure. The advantage is that it doesn't require any special hardware in the wheels. Mine have twice detected slow leaks from a nail or screw in a tire, once on my '15 Si, and once on my Type R, so I have been able to have the tires repaired before it became a significant problem.

Note that if TPMS does not require you to respond by at least simply recalibrating, i.e., ignoring it, or by taking other action, it is not doing it's job. Automatic recalibration does not do that.

I have had several false alarms when I have gone over an irregularity in the road surface such as a rough bridge expansion joint and apparently that has been detected as an imbalance. If I get a TPMS warning I pull over as soon as reasonable, visually inspect the tires as best I can, measure the tire pressures, correct them if necessary and recalibrate, takes 10 minutes. If the TPMS warning repeats you may have a tire problem. I carry a quality tire pressure gauge, and you have an inflator in the car 'tire repair kit', useless as it may seem to be. I also carry a different inflator that I find easier to use, or stop at a gas station air pump if within a reasonable distance.

Sometimes tire pressures do change as a result of temperature change in the environment, or other seemingly unknown factors, which is why with these LP tires you should be checking the pressures once a month. If you have to adjust the pressures to bring them in balance, you will need to recalibrate from the Settings menu, easy enough. Yes, we could do without it. On the other hand with these expensive and finicky low profile tires I'm happy to have it,

Last edited:

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
That's all well and good, but several prior cars owned by me with internal TPMS modules never gave false warnings under any circumstances. My point is that the new "radius" based measurement is thus far in my personal experience not reliable as the TPMS modules were. The last thing I want is during a rainstorm or heavy snow or dangerous traffice is my "Safety" device reporting a life threatening error when there isn't one. Not every customer understands how it works and would necessitate a visit to the stealership to have it checked. I can't agree this is a better way, only a cheaper way. Why did Honda change? To increase their profits.
As long as it's mostly reliable (flat) then it's good!
In hindsight I shouldn't have called it "TPMS" as it's now "TRMS" tire radius monitoring system, as it triggers on radius change, not pressure changes.

un1coRn

IG: @sgp_fk8r
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP FK8 R-34844
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My TPL warning goes on all of the time even though the tires are full. Its annoying af but oh well. I just recalibrate it and keep it moving

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
My TPL warning goes on all of the time even though the tires are full. Its annoying af but oh well. I just recalibrate it and keep it moving
Don't just recalibrate, do a full on reset of the system after you've set the tire pressures appropriately. This involves doing 3 recalibrations in a row without the car moving (the tire pressure light should flash 3 times on your dash after this is done). Then driving around to let it learn the tire pressure.

un1coRn

IG: @sgp_fk8r
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP FK8 R-34844
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Don't just recalibrate, do a full on reset of the system after you've set the tire pressures appropriately. This involves doing 3 recalibrations in a row without the car moving (the tire pressure light should flash 3 times on your dash after this is done). Then driving around to let it learn the tire pressure.
Will do man. thanks!
Sponsored