Tire installation problems?

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
I took my stock wheels with stock tires to a couple of chain tire stores to have new 255/35R20s installed. The first shop took them and actually the desk person went into the back to make sure they could do the change. 30 mins later they called me and told me they couldn't get tires off the rims "they kept re-sealing themselves"? So I went to another place. They said no problem. When I picked them up I asked if there were any issues. They told me they got them done, but it wasn't easy. It took "2 guys to get the stock tires off".

I've never owned a car with such low profile tires. Is this common? Is this a shop-by-shop issue, or are there any chains that are better equipped to handle low profile tire work?
Sponsored

Will Solo

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR Type R #1124
Country flag
I believe someone said an Acura dealership was the place to go since they have the actual machine to remove the tires from the wheels. It's a specific tire machine that needs to be used to remove them from the OEM wheels. It's on the site somewhere.

impulseg112

First Name
Loi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
The Discount Tires near me had no issue taking off the oem tires and putting new ones on. Acura dealers will have the machine necessary for the CTR tires and wheels.

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
They need to be changed by a shop that specializes in higher end wheels or has the Honda rim machine. Call your local higher-end rim shop

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They need to be changed by a shop that specializes in higher end wheels or has the Honda rim machine. Call your local higher-end rim shop
yeah, I had to find a reputable shop. The honda/acura dealer near me wouldn't do it, unless I bought tires from them! crazy
Sponsored