Tire and Wheel Setup

CivicPlease

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sedan
Country flag
Hello! What do you guys think of this setup?
Kumho Ecsta Lx platinum 235/40r18 on enkei vulcan wheels. +40 offset

Do you guys have any suggestions? Will I run across any issues on this specific setup? If you guys can suggest different tires at around the same cost that are much better please feel free to do so!

Honda Civic 10th gen Tire and Wheel Setup upload_2019-6-2_14-45-0
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
You will be fine with that setup as far as fitment. Just depends on what you want. I mean, those are decent tires but not great. For that price you won't get the best. The Enkei's should look nice and a big upgrade over your stock 16" steelies.

OP
OP
CivicPlease

CivicPlease

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sedan
Country flag
You will be fine with that setup as far as fitment. Just depends on what you want. I mean, those are decent tires but not great. For that price you won't get the best. The Enkei's should look nice and a big upgrade over your stock 16" steelies.
Do you have any tire suggestions? This will be my first time buying tires and wheels lol. Just trying to find some tires that will fit my budget haha!

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
For that price, in that size, there's really nothing I can suggest. Are you looking for handling or touring tires?

OP
OP
CivicPlease

CivicPlease

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sedan
Country flag
For that price, in that size, there's really nothing I can suggest. Are you looking for handling or touring tires?
Touring I guess? I want something that's comfortable. Minimal road noise and good handling in wet conditions. Summer tires were a choice but it rains randomly here in Cali.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Keep in mind you were at a 55 profile stock. A 40 profile has quite a bit less sidewall (about 1" less) and will ride harsher.

If it was me and I wanted a better look with comfort, I'd upgrade the 16" steel wheels to 17's and go with a better 215/50-17 tire.

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
Keep in mind you were at a 55 profile stock. A 40 profile has quite a bit less sidewall (about 1" less) and will ride harsher.

If it was me and I wanted a better look with comfort, I'd upgrade the 16" steel wheels to 17's and go with a better 215/50-17 tire.
:agree:
Having gone from a 16 EX with 215/50/17 to a 19 Touring with 235/40/18's ride quality is definitely negatively affected along with gas mileage due to the additional tire drag (3-5 mpg less) handling is marginally better, but at some sacrifice, If you haunt the forum's classified ads you may even find a set of OEM alloys with barely used tires, go aftermarket if you're trying for a different look, but seriously, go to the 17"

OP
OP
CivicPlease

CivicPlease

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sedan
Country flag

:agree:
Having gone from a 16 EX with 215/50/17 to a 19 Touring with 235/40/18's ride quality is definitely negatively affected along with gas mileage due to the additional tire drag (3-5 mpg less) handling is marginally better, but at some sacrifice, If you haunt the forum's classified ads you may even find a set of OEM alloys with barely used tires, go aftermarket if you're trying for a different look, but seriously, go to the 17"
How about this setup? I want it to look more aggressive, if i have to sacrifice some comfort what tire size would make get that more aggressive look?

Honda Civic 10th gen Tire and Wheel Setup upload_2019-6-2_16-51-58

jgreen16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX Hatch, 1990 Chevrolet C1500
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How about this setup? I want it to look more aggressive, if i have to sacrifice some comfort what tire size would make get that more aggressive look?
That's a better tire than the Kumho in your first post. But, I would stay with the 18-inch setup for size.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The bottom line is this. Most on this forum tend to prefer bigger is better. And that's fine but there are tradeoffs. You said one of your priorites is comfort. The 17" combo you posted will do just what you want. After all, you have 16" wheels currently with plastic hubcaps. So honestly, anything is an upgrade. Those Contis are good tires and offer a good balance of handling and comfort. Keeping them that size (215/50), you won't be losing mpg either.

Or make the jump to 18's with the 40 profile tires. They cost more, get less mpg, ride harsher but will handle a bit better.

My car comes stock with 17's and the 215/50 tire size. And while I've been thinking about upgrading to 18's as well I always hesitate because I don't honestly want a harsher ride or reduced mpgs. It's all about priorities.

Last edited:

OP
OP
CivicPlease

CivicPlease

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sedan
Country flag
The bottom line is this. Most on this forum tend to prefer bigger is better. And that's fine but there are tradeoffs. You said one of your priorites is comfort. The 17" combo you posted will do just what you want. After all, you have 16" wheels currently with plastic hubcaps. So honestly, anything is an upgrade. Those Contis are good tires and offer a good balance of handling and comfort. Keeping them that size (215/50), you won't be losing mpg either.

Or make the jump to 18's with the 40 profile tires. They cost more, get less mpg, ride harsher but will handle a bit better.

My car comes stock with 17's and the 215/50 tire size. And while I've been thinking about upgrading to 18's as well I always hesitate because I don't honestly want a harsher ride or reduced mpgs. It's all about priorities.
Yeah it's a hard decision it really is. I'll think more about it. Now that I have your perspective it will open up more options.

jgreen16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX Hatch, 1990 Chevrolet C1500
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How's the mileage on your Civic with 18 inch wheels?
I use the car as my daily driver in the good weather months, and have a 70 mile round trip commute to work. I'd say 75% of my mileage is at speeds of 50-75 mph, and I do drive spiritedly at times, but overall my mileage is very good. I'd also say the difference in ride quality between the original 17's and the 18's I have now is negligible. Here is a shot of the trip computer just taken this evening.

Honda Civic 10th gen Tire and Wheel Setup IMG_4944.JPG

OP
OP
CivicPlease

CivicPlease

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sedan
Country flag
I use the car as my daily driver in the good weather months, and have a 70 mile round trip commute to work. I'd say 75% of my mileage is at speeds of 50-75 mph, and I do drive spiritedly at times, but overall my mileage is very good. I'd also say the difference in ride quality between the original 17's and the 18's I have now is negligible. Here is a shot of the trip computer just taken this evening.

IMG_4944.JPG
Your mileage is already better than mine at around 34 mpg. Thank you for providing such great detail haha. The terrain I drive on are usually smooth and straightforward. Its not rough at all here in Cali at least where I live. 18 inch is probably the route ill go for, maybe save up some money to get some better tires. It looks much better than the 17's and according to your mileage I don't think I should see a huge difference from my stock setup.

thebutcher

NSFW
First Name
The Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Chevy C10 custom deluxe, 2014 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited, 2019 Honda Civic Si coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A 17” will handle a little better in the rain, less tire on the ground to hydroplane. But you probably wouldn’t notice that unless your driving spiritedly on some wild roads.
Sponsored