Wakes the Dragon Organizer
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MK7 GTI Big Turbo || 1997 Mitsubishi GS-T Spyder
Tips For Not Dying on the Dragon

Something I want to spell out quite clearly to start out. I will always not condone reckless behavior and driving. Each and every one of you will be expected to be an adult and to know your driving style. If you do not know your car and driving style go practice cornering at speed in an empty parking lot. This road HAS and WILL continue to claim its share of cars/bikes/people. It is a great road, but it is also a very dangerous road and not a place to figure out how to drive. We have set this meet up to allow for different groups of different driving styles so nobody should ever feel the need to be uncomfortable. If you do then please talk to one of the leaders and we will address the situation appropriately.

1. Check the car.
- Tires are the only part of the car physically touching the road. Don't come up here with bald tires. Also, make sure you know your tires limits. Many of us are running performance summer tires. Many of us are running All Seasons. These cars will NOT drive the same and will not be able to turn the same.
- Brakes are your last line of defense in stopping the car. Nobody wants to listen to metal on metal, but we are okay with race brakes. Understand that some of us are running upgraded pads and rotors and some are not. Drive your car accordingly. Brakes will usually not fail all at once, if you're noticing brake fade - taking longer and longer to brake - you NEED to pull over.
- Brake fluid is also vital. Do not push the car past the boiling point of your fluid, if you are doing that then your driving WRONG.
- Windshield wipers are necessary. Its the Smokey Mountains in spring. It's going to rain. Make sure you can see when it happens.
- Lights. I want to see you and you want to see the road. Make sure you can see. Luckily all our cars have good quality headlights. Honorable mention - do NOT drive around with high beams / light bars on. Don't be that guy/girl.

2. Group Driving
Everybody in this group will have slightly different driven techniques. The experienced ones of us will also have our own techniques. Understand that your car WILL NOT turn a corner. I say this to say do not try and copy another drivers style. IN a group run the #1 way to get yourself in trouble is trying to keep up or drive like another member. This is not a place that is very forgiving. If you go off a road you will hit a rock wall or go off a cliff. Leave enough space between the cars to allow for proper stopping and emergency braking. If you feel uncomfortable, go ahead and pull on over nobody will make you feel bad about it. If they do let me know and that person will be asked to leave.

3. Be Aware of What is Around You
This is a public road. There are bears. There are deer. There are fat people on Harleys. Any number of these things can come crashing into your lane at any given time. Do NOT veer off the road and off a cliff to avoid them. There will also be cleanup crews while we are there. You will give them the respect and space and safety they deserve or you will be leaving. Watch the road. It has not been fully repaired from winter. Expect pot holes, dirt, gravel, grass, trash and leaves to be on the road. Remember where these are for next time. Expect LEO's to be on the road. I can tell you from personal experience that going off a mountain road at speed will pucker you up real tight.

4. Fast Driving
This event is NOT a speed contest. We will not be discussing times or top speeds and will not encourage people to go faster than they are comfortable driving. On this road, speed will kill you and it is probably the #1 reason people lose control of the car. There are 318 curves on this road, which means 318 chances for you to make a bad decision. Please don't.

5. Stupid Hurts
We will be sharing the road with a LOT of stupid people. Be prepared. We gather together to have a great time and to meet other automotive enthusiasts. There is a time for fun, and there is a time to be serious. If you're behind the wheel of a car then it's time to be serious. You will hear s preaching constantly to stay on your side of the double yellow. Please stay between the Yellow and white lines. Be hotdogs, stay between the mayo and mustard. This is the #1 most ticketed offence on the dragon and the #1 most looked for infraction by the LEO's

6. Yourself
Lastly, know yourself. Police yourself. Be an adult. Know your comfort zones and limits. Use common sense. Do not drive drunk or impaired. But mostly, have fun. Enjoy making new friends and enjoy the trip.
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Some of us would like to drive in a not-very aggressive style. I'll probably take corners fast enough to make my kids happy... but I also am carrying precious cargo and am not going to incur undue risk for fun.

If you want to run hard, please find yourself towards the front of the pack. I will intentionally be hanging toward the back if at all possible to not ruin someone's drive. If someone wants to ride my ass mile after mile because I'm not going fast enough for you... you should have got on the other side of me. If you're in front of me and driving slower than I'd like... well, so be it. I can always turn around at the end and go back. I'd prefer not see someone get their car wrecked or, worse, get scraped off a tree on what's supposed to be a fun spring break weekend. :headbang:

Really looking forward to putting a face/voice to a lot of the folks on the forums and checking out a new spot I've never been. Life is the sum of our experiences and I'm looking forward to making some good memories!

OP
OP
penguinsgestapo

penguinsgestapo

Wakes the Dragon Organizer
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MK7 GTI Big Turbo || 1997 Mitsubishi GS-T Spyder
Some of us would like to drive in a not-very aggressive style. I'll probably take corners fast enough to make my kids happy... but I also am carrying precious cargo and am not going to incur undue risk for fun.

If you want to run hard, please find yourself towards the front of the pack. I will intentionally be hanging toward the back if at all possible to not ruin someone's drive. If someone wants to ride my ass mile after mile because I'm not going fast enough for you... you should have got on the other side of me. If you're in front of me and driving slower than I'd like... well, so be it. I can always turn around at the end and go back. I'd prefer not see someone get their car wrecked or, worse, get scraped off a tree on what's supposed to be a fun spring break weekend. :headbang:

Really looking forward to putting a face/voice to a lot of the folks on the forums and checking out a new spot I've never been. Life is the sum of our experiences and I'm looking forward to making some good memories!

We know some of yall want to drive at a different pace and have set up the groups to accommodate that so no worries at all.

Nanook

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Accord, 2018 Pilot, 2017 Si, 2018 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good post. Thanks
Sponsored