Tinting the Type R

BerzerkerX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Hey guys,

I've been considering tinting my car, but haven't pulled the trigger. I live in NY metro area, and for NYS they have a bunch of BS rules for visibility %. just want to know if anyone in NY or anywhere else with strict tint rules, have tints and how much attention do you get and would you recommend it. I see a lot of tinted cars with blacked out windows all the time. I just want to be within legal terms as the car already looks aggressive than the average car. Also, if i were to tint, are there any places that anyone in the area can recommend?

thanks!
Sponsored

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What’s the max for PA? I’m considering it (preciously lived in NJ where I’m pretty sure any tint is illegal so it’s new to me) just because anything to reduce how hot it gets inside the car is something I would like to do.

Hayabusa160

The Master
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
Country flag
theres ceramic tint that blocks almost all heat and are almost clear.
but they are not cheap lol

23Red

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 FK8, '06 AP2
Country flag
theres ceramic tint that blocks almost all heat and are almost clear.
but they are not cheap lol
This. If you're just looking to block heat then ceramic will do the job no matter what % you go with. And yes it's pricey, mine was about $600 for front, sides and rear.

If you want tint just to hide what's inside then that's another story. IMO anything greater than 35% isn't worth it.

MugenCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 10th Sedan
Country flag
Check the brand and feature, there are plenty of companies, good and bad ones, if you dont tell them the brand, they might going to use cheaper brand, so I always tell them to use specific brand and model.

ElmoHongZito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
After I read on this forum and saw some youtube videos I decided that 3M Crystaline is the best product out there specially to keep out the heat. I called around and the best price I got was $399 for sides and rear windows (CR20) and an additional $149 for the windshield (CR70). I am very happy with the result.

You will find that most places do not carry 3M Crystaline and will quickly try to sell you on why theirs is much better for the price without bashing the 3M Crystaline. Most of them prefer to use unknown brands that claim to have high performance ceramic options because they get them at lower costs and their margins are much better. Plus not everyone is willing to spend $500+ on tinting.

zsak

First Name
Tej
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Turbo S2000, 2014 SRT Jeep Grand Cherokee , 1998 Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
That is a good deal on the 3m, I was quoted $750 just for windows and rear. I ended up doing Forumla Stratos and like it very much as well. Do you have pics of the Crystaline

zsak

First Name
Tej
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Turbo S2000, 2014 SRT Jeep Grand Cherokee , 1998 Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
that looks great

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
I have 40% in PA. I'm told it's not a a primary offense...meaning they have to pull you over for some moving or equipment violation before they can ticket you for tint. I just try to keep my registration and inspection good, keep the bulbs working, and try to avoid getting caught at speeding and it's good.

turbo dragon

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SI X
Country flag
I got 5% put on the SI, its really dark, almost to dark for night time driving. I wouldn't recommend it, but it still looks good and I like it.

Superfly

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R / 2018 Civic Si Sedan / 2018 Civic Si Coupe / 2018 Acccord 2.0 Touring / 2001 S2000
Country flag
Are you sure that’s 45% on the windshield? Looks a lot darker.
100% sure, it might be the lighting or the angle but it’s 45% on the windshield
Sponsored