Tinting rear hatch - need to remove spoiler?

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
They use the outside for a template. They can’t do that with the little wing in place. I had to remove the hatches inner plastic, the little spoiler and wiper/motor. It’s really not a big deal.
How did the bumpers and handle covers fit after? Honda considers them 1 time use so just curious if they still fit right or if you replaced them?
Sponsored

nags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
I've dealt with the same two very high end tint shop for many years. Spoke to them bothbyesterday and they said the correct way to do it is to remove the wing so they can pre shrink the tint. He said that generally when a shop doesn't remove it they have to 'patch' some small spots at the bottom.

dennyschulz

First Name
Den
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2017 Civic Si Coupe, 2017 Civic Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just asked for a quote from a tint place and they said, "If it's that hatchback with the spoiler across the back, it needs to be removed before installation."

Is that right? Why would a spoiler on the outside interfere with applying tint on the inside?
They want to remove the wing so that they can shrink the tint to form to the outside of the window, this ultimately makes fitment to the inside much easier. Only problem is they usually charge more money to remove the piece and there are a ton of steps to take the lower spoiler off. Best bet if you do not want to take it off, if find a computer cutter tint ship. They just make a perfect piece.

OP
OP

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
They want to remove the wing so that they can shrink the tint to form to the outside of the window, this ultimately makes fitment to the inside much easier. Only problem is they usually charge more money to remove the piece and there are a ton of steps to take the lower spoiler off. Best bet if you do not want to take it off, if find a computer cutter tint ship. They just make a perfect piece.
Yes, that is what I ended up doing - finding a shop that did laser cutting with a computer. They did a perfect job.

Dom9lives

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R FK8
Country flag
The guy who tinted my Type R said it was a really complicated one (his first type R) but he did it without removing the spoiler and he did it very well so it’s doable :)
Sponsored