Thoughts on Adding Sunroof/Moonroof to Sport Hatch?

1. FG3BLUES

FG3BLUES Member

Car(s):
    2013 Civic Coupe LX DBP
    So I am nearing the end of my finance term on my 13 coupe and i am debating on which trim and body style i want most. I am FIRM on getting a manual, but i am not interested in Si or Type R. I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with aftermarket sunroof/moonroof installs for quality. I would be looking to finance again as i prefer to own my vehicle and I perform my own maintenance and repairs because Honda, so i am really only asking for experience in this area. Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

2. 360glitch

360glitch Moderator

Car(s):
    2017 Civic Si Sedan
    It's not worth the expense and/or risk for problems in my opinion.

ahizzo and BarracksSi thanked this.
  3. Shankmeyster

Shankmeyster Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 Civic Sport Hatch 6MT
    If it doesn't have one from the factory, don't bother as you start getting into body rigidity issues.

4. HondaPro

HondaPro Senior Member

Sales
    Car(s):
    2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
    Buy the EXT coupe. It has the sunroof and you should be able to buy them for $18700 to $19500.

JrHonda thanked this.
  5. JrHonda

JrHonda Member

Car(s):
    Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
    Well anything is possible if you got the funds for it. Well I know I wish my hatch had it. Sadly the hatch pays the price for the sportiness in sport trim being really base. The EX-T in other Hondas have way better value and options for the money wish we would have gotten the Canadian spec of the sport hatch here. If a sunroof is a must look at the ex-t personally I like the style of the hatch more and all I need in my car to live is Bluetooth I cared a lot more about how my car looks and drive then function. Or you can get an EX Hatch and add the other parts pricey but I think the price payoff is better then adding just a sunroof to the sport hatch.

6. OP
    OP
    FG3BLUES

FG3BLUES Member

Car(s):
    2013 Civic Coupe LX DBP
    My problem is that Honda doesnt package any of its models with a manual and any decent driver features. Its a shame i could get a 1996 Honda Accord EX with a manual, power seats and a sunroof and yet in 2017 if i want a manual, i have to give up almost all amenities. Like i said, i am FIRM on getting a manual, so any trim that is not manual possible is out which is why i prefer the sport hatch. I was looking at the EX-T sedan because its the closest to what i want, but im not in love with the audio unit and the constant problems i see in my searches of the upgraded head unit in the EX and up trims is putting me off because i never have had to do anything other than basic maintenance on my 13 coupe. I dont want any extra problems which is why im okay with the simplicity of the sport hatch since it has everything i really want, but no sunroof, and the severe lack of manual trims available is what is what is pushing me to the aftermarket option. I live in MD and i honestly have problems finding even base models with a manual. Sport hatches with manuals are essentially nonexistent. I have not found an EXT manual in any body style at all. So i prefer not to do vehicle alterations, especially on a brand new vehicle, but is there anyone with experience with an aftermarket sunroof application in any instance? As far as rigidity is concerned, i would assume that since a portion of the roof would be cut and none of the actual load bearing structural components, the rigidity should remain unchanged.

7. Shankmeyster

Shankmeyster Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 Civic Sport Hatch 6MT
    You might as well be looking at a manual swap into an EX-T then. Would probably cost about the same or less.

8. BarracksSi

BarracksSi Senior Member

Car(s):
    '17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
    +1 to both.

More importantly, you won't (at least not without a LOT of work) have good protection against rust, or proper water drainage, or a bunch of other things. Roofs that are made for sunroof installation also have channels to carry away the water from rain, snow, car washes, tailgate parties, or whatever. They route the water through hoses that go down the side or rear pillars and drain onto the ground.

You're just gonna have to suck it up and spend less money to get a car without a hole cut into the roof.

9. HondaPro

HondaPro Senior Member

Sales
    Car(s):
    2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
    Just hold out and let the Si and Type R release. Once they do most manual hunters won't even consider a EXT or Sport anymore. I would say end of October or end of November will be a good time to invest into a 2018.

10. OP
    OP
    FG3BLUES

FG3BLUES Member

Car(s):
    2013 Civic Coupe LX DBP
    I appreciate all the feedback.

11. OP
    OP
    FG3BLUES

FG3BLUES Member

Car(s):
    2013 Civic Coupe LX DBP
    I appreciate all the feedback.

12. starbai

starbai Member

Car(s):
    S2000, Prelude
    Adding a sunroof is like any other major modification. If its done right, by someone experienced you'll be fine. I had one installed by a shop that did installs for dealerships all around south florida. He's done hundreds in his lifetime and assured me a lifetime warranty on any leaks or issues with his work. His business was fully insured. Luckily I never had any problems. I owned that 2011 Mustang GT for 3 years in some seriously torrential south florida hurricane line down pours and it never leaked, never had an issue.

My mother also bought a Chrysler Cirrus LXi brand new in 97 (dont ask lol) and had a dealer installed webasto sunroof. The car was a total piece of shit, but two things never had problems, its mitsubushi sourced V6, and the Webasto Sunroof.

I plan on buying a Type R, and one of the first things I'll be doing is adding a sunroof.

13. Starion

Starion Member

First Name:
    Matt
    Car(s):
    Mitsubishi Starion - modded
    PM'd. I'd love to get the contact info on your installer if still around? Thanks

Here in FL, a sunroof is essential IMO to let the hot air out the top efficiently, esp. starting each trip when 120+ in the parked car. It reallly opens things up and the view is cool - clouds, sunsets, and lightning storms here are amazing.

14. Lxvpq

Lxvpq Senior Member

Car(s):
    Civic 2018 Hatchback Sport
    Do you live anywhere close to Canada? Cause my hb sport has the moonroof out of the factory... Could be a possibility.