those running TSP tune need your help!

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
I'm posting here because I can't figure this out. I ran a CDV delete and PRL SS line for a long time. I had no problem shifting from 1st into 2nd even at 4k rpm. Usually that required being an extra second slower with the clutch.

Fast forward to the TSP Stage1 Tune. It runs excellent, but no matter if I am in regular or sport, my 1st to 2nd shift is extremely terrible. To the point of the rear end of the car "bucking". Even shifting from 1-2 at 3500rpm it's as if I am popping out the clutch on the shift, but I am not.

Does anyone have any pointers? Is the 1-2 shift still supposed to be slow? I've tried tuning off the AC, readjusting to a variety of seating positions, shifting faster, and shifting slower. Still nothing. The only time it seems to cooperate is if I don't hit boost. But that is hard to do if you live in a place with a lot of dangerous intersections and you really gotta get going from first.

I'm suspecting that I need an upgraded rear motor-mount due to the quick spool, boost hitting harder, and perhaps getting back on the throttle a little too hard. I'm not sure.

What is the trick going from 1st to 2nd on this TSP tune?
Sponsored

D-RobIMW

www.imwtuned.com
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2001 Integra Type R, 2019 RDX A-Spec
Country flag
It sounds like you're not quite used to the rev hang disable paired with the standard throttle padding. This does require a little relearning if you're coming from a calibration with all the soft options.

The combination in the calibration is meant to provide the most direct feedback to the driver from throttle movements. Honda has done a great job of softening and delaying all of these movements (effectively numbing it), but from a performance standpoint, it introduces unpredictability (throttle staying open or closed when the driver is commanding the opposite for a moment). If you've driven the car for a while, you've already trained yourself to drive with that behavior.

Give it a week of daily driving. If you can't get the hang of it by then, shoot me an email, and I'm happy to work with you. :)

[email protected]

OP
OP
tehSteve

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
Thanks! This might be just me pressing the gas pedal too hard resulting in the motion after my 1-2.
I think investing in a rear motor mount might help what I think the engine is hopping

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I noticed a slight difference when disabling rev hang with the Ktuner 19.5/23 tune. It definitely requires slightly extra care for a smooth shift. But like anything, nice your muscles learn, you wonā€™t even notice. If able, drive another car with a tougher clutch. It will show you how easy the Si clutch is, even with the rev hang delete.

OP
OP
tehSteve

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
I already have Stage4 twin disk on my EvoX :D
Now to figure out if it is a clutching issue or pressing the throttle issue.

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ive been kicking around the idea of an aftermarket motor mount. I donā€™t launch my car much, but Iā€™m curious as to the benefit. My next focus is a Type R shifter with Acuity upgrades, and possibly a PRL clutch line. But I donā€™t have any issue launching the car with the stock clutch/shifter setup. I find it really easy to just stab the clutch for quick shifting cuz itā€™s so light.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
I can now confidently say that the TSP Stage 1 is no different than any KTuner basemap in terms of 1st to 2nd smoothness, as long as you've been running the rev hang delete with standard padding. Exactly the same.

OP
OP
tehSteve

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
I can now confidently say that the TSP Stage 1 is no different than any KTuner basemap in terms of 1st to 2nd smoothness, as long as you've been running the rev hang delete with standard padding. Exactly the same.
I never ran the base maps :) I must have a lead foot when pressing the gas in 2nd, although it never chirps, but I do raise the RPMS to 3.5k-4k during shift time
Still gonna get that motormount

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Everyone is a newb at some point. Didnā€™t want to change too many things on first flash so I could pinpoint an issue with a setting if I had one.
It's ok! Just giving you a hard time and dusting off Jim Varney in the process. :thumbsup: My gen 9 had rev hang bad so it was probably the very first thing I checked off when I got Ktuner on the genX.
Sponsored