New to the brand
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
I spend about 10 seconds total on the infotainment, including adjusting the climate control. Turn things on, occasional adjustment, pay attention to driving. Least of my problems with the car or life.
Sponsored

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I spend about 10 seconds total on the infotainment, including adjusting the climate control. Turn things on, occasional adjustment, pay attention to driving. Least of my problems with the car or life.
10 seconds is a long time to spend on messing around with an infotainment system. In the Kia which I am now renting, it takes a total of 2 seconds to turn on and adjust the climate control. another one second if I turn on the radio. In my 9 year old Lexus, it takes maybe 3 seconds to adjust the climate control, and the fan speed control is in the infotainment system just like the Civic except there is a physical button to access it. Thankfully a lot of people are reporting that the 2020 fixed a lot of issues and the 2019 to some extent by adding some physical controls. But anyway, you are right, it is not a big deal, I was just ranting

Reactions: mjh

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
How do you swap between FM and Android Auto using the steering wheel controls? I haven't figured that out yet.

I will add another improvement in the current infotainment over the previous models -- the steering wheel toggle for volume is much better than the weird slider on the steering wheel in earlier models.
On the D-pad on the left side of the steering wheel press the up or down arrow and it will cycle through

Reactions: mjh

mjh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2020 Sedan; Previously VW Jetta SEL 2016 (auto); Civic EX Sedan 2009 (manual); Civic EX Coupe 2002 (manual)
Country flag
On the D-pad on the left side of the steering wheel press the up or down arrow and it will cycle through
Thank you, I realized it last night after rereading the post! I knew that the up-down cycled through volume sources, but I didn't realize that it would include Android Auto as one of the sources when your phone is plugged in. I find especially cool that while running a map on the screen through AA, you can cycle through the audio sources without taking the AA map off the screen. Big thumbs up to that!

nothingclever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Funny, after my 2015 Accord sport was totaled, I had a Kia Optima with Android Auto for a rental. This was my first introduction to Android Auto. Three weeks later, I knew I wanted/needed a car with Android Auto capabilities. I bought the used Civic Ex. Visually the Civic system is more pleasing but the Kia's system was a little slightly easier to use. Both however, have required a disconnect and reconnect to work at one point. I chalk that up to just electronics being electronics.

Edited: For English.

Last edited:

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Funny, after my 2015 Accord sport was totaled, I had a Kia Optima with Android Auto for a rental. This was my first introduction to Android Auto. Three weeks later, I knew I wanted/needed a car with Android Auto capabilities. I bought the used Civic Ex. Visually the Civic systems is more pleasing but the Kia's system was a little slightly easier to use. Both however, have required a disconnect and reconnect to work at one point. I chalk that up to just electronics be electronics.
Android Auto is pretty much a must for me. I am going to be putting in an aftermarket head unit in my 2010 Lexus that will modernize it and add Android Auto. It connects to the stock screen, you just pull out the existing head unit and plug everything into the new unit. For $800, not bad.

To me a good infotainment system should be simple, intuitive, and fast. Trying to integrate radio and HVAC controls is a mistake to me. I am glad Honda decided to add physical controls in the 2019, you don't have to fiddle around and can concentrate on driving

TommiTurbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue Civic Touring
Country flag
I herd that the infotainment in the Toyota Corolla was supposed to be pretty good my only gripe with the Hondas is the climate control is a little slow
A little??? That's the understatement of the decade! I HATE the Honda infotainment setup. Takes 5 or 6 seconds EVERY TIME I touch the climate button. What a JOKE!! I've had multiple issue with my 17 Touring the NOISY AC unit is the latest. Of course the stealership can't replicate the whirring noise the AC is making at 40°F to 65°-70°F. This WILL BE MY LAST HONDA! (& I currently own 3 but not for long)

TommiTurbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue Civic Touring
Country flag
Android Auto and Apple Carplay have made every other form of car infotainment completely obsolete. Turn on the car, have it auto launch whichever of the two you have, bliss ensues.
I agree but for some reason my 17 Touring mandates me to switch my phone to "System Update" in order to get the phone to connect to the car's Android Auto which the Kia Rio that I just rented in FL (the Rio stunk as a vehicle but the car connected EVERY TIME to Android Auto without a hitch). This "System Update" glitch on my phone thing is a REAL pain in the behind!!! IF anyone can help me with this it would be helpful.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I like how VW did their infotainment and climate controls:

BBVzaC5.jpg
This is what the Germans are really good at. Well laid out interiors, ergonomics, controls, etc. One of my friends was renting a house owned by a gentlemen from Germany, the house was so well maintained and practical, no expense spared. He even imported the front door from Germany. It was so well made, and solid, i've never seen so much craftsmanship going into a door. The locks were unbreakable, and no locksmith would be able to even duplicate a key for it, so he had several duplicates made in Germany and kept the master key in case any were lost. Previous to that he was renting a house from an Indian gentlemen who wouldn't even spend .50 cents on a new magnet to keep the kitchen cabinets from opening and fixed a broken glass in the bedroom with scotch tape. My father is Indian so I can say Indians are, let's say "thrifty".

Anyways their methods (Germans) work great for car interiors, but no so great for their over complicated engineering when it comes to engines

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
This is what the Germans are really good at. Well laid out interiors, ergonomics, controls, etc. One of my friends was renting a house owned by a gentlemen from Germany, the house was so well maintained and practical, no expense spared. He even imported the front door from Germany. It was so well made, and solid, i've never seen so much craftsmanship going into a door. The locks were unbreakable, and no locksmith would be able to even duplicate a key for it, so he had several duplicates made in Germany and kept the master key in case any were lost. Previous to that he was renting a house from an Indian gentlemen who wouldn't even spend .50 cents on a new magnet to keep the kitchen cabinets from opening and fixed a broken glass in the bedroom with scotch tape. My father is Indian so I can say Indians are, let's say "thrifty".

Anyways their methods (Germans) work great for car interiors, but no so great for their over complicated engineering when it comes to engines
I agree that the Germans do good work when they keep it simple. I'm also Indian and I think you spelled "cheap" wrong :D

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Yeah, Civic interior would have been perfect with a better infotainment screen/software in the center along with real climate controls. Honestly surprised Honda ignored it for the Civic refresh.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I agree that the Germans do good work when they keep it simple. I'm also Indian and I think you spelled "cheap" wrong :D
Haha I tempted, but used restraint!

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
My EX-T is one of the highest level model car I’ve owned other than the 04 Hyundai Tiburon GT at the time
I think the infotainment system is cool. But I would like the climate controls to be a little more mechanical
Sponsored