This car is completely different in high temps

PwrOfDreams

It ain't a Type R then it ain't a tight car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Other
Country flag
You guys should of seen the IAT temps when it’s stop to 10mph heavy traffic. The temps of both pre and post IAT’s are at 177-180 degrees F. This is in traffic for 30-35 mins on the highway on a 95 degree day. I monitor the temps all the time and it gets crazy hot under the hood within a short amount of time.
Sponsored

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You guys should of seen the IAT temps when it’s stop to 10mph heavy traffic. The temps of both pre and post IAT’s are at 177-180 degrees F. This is in traffic for 30-35 mins on the highway on a 95 degree day. I monitor the temps all the time and it gets crazy hot under the hood within a short amount of time.
:( Carvana in LA wouldn't give me a quote because they've 10 used ones in their inventory; just trying to see if there's an option to get out of this hellhole. Will see.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
10 used R's at one used car dealer? Wow.
I lied. They actually have 18. No wonder why they wouldn't give me a quote for my '19 (less than 2k miles. a used car with less than 8k miles is considered new in Calif, I think that's why).

Honda Civic 10th gen This car is completely different in high temps upload_2019-9-14_15-36-28

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
You live in LA you aren't moving anyway, what's your hurry? Just enjoy the heat soak while you go 3mph in traffic everywhere!

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is this a Hondata or Ktuner display? I seriously need to get one some day..

Check out my intake temps. The car is heat soaked. This is in so cal 90 degree ambient temp traveling at 35 mph in mild traffic for a good 25 mins. The readings is temperature from the intake and post intercooler. Car has Mishimoto intake and prl intercooler. Very sluggish.

ACB20C02-EF2B-4039-8D4C-B4682F2F6419.jpeg

Brvndxn

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
I don't know about in the R forums, but in the regular turbo forums, I've probably posted about this many times. I have a TSP tuned base 1.5T dyno'd at 220 whp and in hot and humid weather, it feels so sluggish it almost feels stock.

The other day it was 95 and humid and I gunned it and it felt like a slug. For a split second, I was wondering if I had a mechanical issue. Then I remembered "oh, it's hot af". The next day it was 70 and my car was a rocket.

Here's the science of it. All cars heat soak to an extent. Turbos produce even more heat so the heat soak and power reduction is even worse. Even though you don't often hear about it, humidity is a power killer, too. Cars rely on a mixture of air and gas. The denser the air, the better, especially with a turbo. Cold air is better than hot because it's denser. Humid air is filled with water and those water molecules replace some of the oxygen molecules and make the air even less dense.

Hot ambient temps make your car slower. Add high humidity and it's slower still.

The moral of the story, if you go to a drag strip, do it on a dry, crisp cool day. :)
Yeah I recently experienced the heat soak and kept trying to floor it and felt stock so i knew to just take it easy and drive regular.

FriscoBrah

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Championship White Civic Type R
Country flag
Every car feels sluggish in high temps. Type R, Golf R, M3, Z06, Hellcat, et cetera...

theblackdogman

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
Those temps are crazy to me. I live in Orlando and even driving around on a 100 degree day I see an IAT of 135-140 and IAT of 105 with a stick intercooler.

PwrOfDreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Other
Country flag
Makes me wonder sometimes the longevity of under hood components with all that heat. This could be from metals, plastics and electronics. There have been times that the hood is so hot that I have to use gloves to prop it up. Everything under the hood you touch can give you second degree burns.

PwrOfDreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Other
Country flag
Maybe drive easy on very hot days....
I don’t think you have a choice. The car makes you take it easy. With 150+ degrees Fahrenheit post IAT’s, I get taken off the line by standard SUV’s. The only time the car felt strong is early morning or late at night. Any other time it’s very sluggish and slow. I have 26k miles on the car. Hopefully it doesn’t get worse as the car ages.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I definitely noticed this car certainly feels slower when it’s really sticky outside. Guess it wasn’t just me being crazy.

Boostez

Samurai
First Name
Marlin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R; 03' Mitsubishi EVO; 2018 Polaris Slingshot SL-R
Country flag
I definitely noticed this car certainly feels slower when it’s really sticky outside. Guess it wasn’t just me being crazy.
Nah, it'll affect every turbo car. I have an EVO and it does the same thing even though it has (600whp). Well, it still doesn't feel as sluggish as the TypeR obviously. :)

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Fall weather here in Canada currently.

Car pulls all day long now, compared to last month, where it would have a heart attack if the weather was 24 Celsius+ lol
Sponsored