First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Congrats bro. Make sure to go easy the first 600 miles, for break in period.

I knowwww It's SOOO HARD! I am trying not to go over 3500 RPM lol.... is 600 a good break in....? I thought it was the first oil change (which I planned to do around 3k miles and then every 7-10k after.
Sponsored

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
Greetings all!

A small back story, I used to own a 2014 Civic Si when I lived in Columbus Ohio, but I traded it in for a 2015 Jeep Cherokee when I moved to Miami in 2015. I feel comfortable now being able to drive a manual in this incredibly crazy traffic and I am looking to buy a Civic Type R.

I have a few questions:

I am wanting to add a few extras, body side molding, door guards etc, but as for interior options am I able to add lighting etc on my own after the fact or should I pay the dealer to do this? I would also want to upgrade the shifter to be wrapped in leather due to this insane Florida heat.

What price should I be able to expect? By this question I wonder what everyone else has paid? Have any of you had any luck adding extras for no charge into the out the door price? I have a guy who knows a broker that apparently has been able to do a great job for him and his friends on all sorts of car prices down here.

I am asking all of this because it seems like the Type R sells for around 31,000 USD in Canada. I would even consider buying the car in Canada and driving it all the way back to Miami. Especially to save thousands of dollars it would be worth it to me.

I am also torn because I am 36 and wonder if I should even be buying this car

Thoughts?
That is a very LONG drive from CA to Miami.
I went driving early this summer to miami. The traffic is crazy down there. Very stressful.

For the shifter just use any cotton mini bag to put it on top of the shifter. That will avoid the over heating of the metal shift knob. I did that on my 8th SI with Type R knob.

Regards the age. F*** what others tells you. Im 38 and I drive a sporty Mitsu Lancer that occasionally I set the blowoff valve to full atmospheric just to make noise around town.
Life is short. I don't mind owning a Type R.

OP
OP
Caestus

Caestus

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That is a very LONG drive from CA to Miami.
I went driving early this summer to miami. The traffic is crazy down there. Very stressful.

For the shifter just use any cotton mini bag to put it on top of the shifter. That will avoid the over heating of the metal shift knob. I did that on my 8th SI with Type R knob.

Regards the age. F*** what others tells you. Im 38 and I drive a sporty Mitsu Lancer that occasionally I set the blowoff valve to full atmospheric just to make noise around town.
Life is short. I don't mind owning a Type R.

Do they make any specific bags for shifter knobs?

The problem with the traffic in Miami is that there are too many adult first time drivers here. I LOVE the culture here, but all the Latin countries having issues people are coming here and getting cars for the first time and think the roads are theirs alone.

They do not understand the 1 and 1 rule while merging etc, however, I finally feel comfortable enough to drive a manual down here :) It was the ONLY reason I traded in my SI 4 years ago.

Thanks for the vote of confidence on the age haha everyone thought I was in my 20s at the dealer and I tend to believe them because my baseball team also thinks I am in my 20s haha... I will be picking up college freshmen in no time. (Kidding on that one)

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
Do they make any specific bags for shifter knobs?

The problem with the traffic in Miami is that there are too many adult first time drivers here. I LOVE the culture here, but all the Latin countries having issues people are coming here and getting cars for the first time and think the roads are theirs alone.

They do not understand the 1 and 1 rule while merging etc, however, I finally feel comfortable enough to drive a manual down here :) It was the ONLY reason I traded in my SI 4 years ago.

Thanks for the vote of confidence on the age haha everyone thought I was in my 20s at the dealer and I tend to believe them because my baseball team also thinks I am in my 20s haha... I will be picking up college freshmen in no time. (Kidding on that one)
I just used one that came with high school graduation ring.

Even a child sock will do the trick.

omar0123

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type r
Country flag
Age isn't the problem having this car, its not cheap for a youngster to have unless they a good income , its the additional of accessories members start installing on the car that make it look ricy

Iczer_CTR

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2002 Lexus IS300, 1991 Honda CRX SI
Country flag
I knowwww It's SOOO HARD! I am trying not to go over 3500 RPM lol.... is 600 a good break in....? I thought it was the first oil change (which I planned to do around 3k miles and then every 7-10k after.
Owners manual and everything I've read says 600 miles then let her rip. I had the same issue, once I started driving and felt that little bit of boost I was hooked but had to keep it under control.
As for the shift knob, anything soft that will cover it works. It definitely gets to hot to hold once it's been sitting in the heat.

OP
OP
Caestus

Caestus

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Owners manual and everything I've read says 600 miles then let her rip. I had the same issue, once I started driving and felt that little bit of boost I was hooked but had to keep it under control.
As for the shift knob, anything soft that will cover it works. It definitely gets to hot to hold once it's been sitting in the heat.

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I will review the users manual. Additionally I had ceramic Suntek tint installed today so that should help reject UV rays and overall heat on the shifter. Let's see how that goes!

VooDuuChild

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si, Boosted Street and Track Monster 91 CRX Si.
Country flag
Today was the day I pulled the trigger. After a few weeks of hunting, I finally found the Blue Type R I was looking for. I negotiated with quite a few dealers.... Honda of Aventura had the Blue one marked up 10k and I finally was able to get AutoMall of Miami Lakes to sell me a Grey Type R at MSRP no dealer mark up etc (They were aware I was going to be buying a few extras) Then Coral Springs AutoMall had a Blue Type R just arrive and I was able to get it at MSRP today.

I am a proud new Honda Civic Type R owner!
Lucky man!!!! Congrats

MstrSHAKE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
Today was the day I pulled the trigger. After a few weeks of hunting, I finally found the Blue Type R I was looking for. I negotiated with quite a few dealers.... Honda of Aventura had the Blue one marked up 10k and I finally was able to get AutoMall of Miami Lakes to sell me a Grey Type R at MSRP no dealer mark up etc (They were aware I was going to be buying a few extras) Then Coral Springs AutoMall had a Blue Type R just arrive and I was able to get it at MSRP today.

I am a proud new Honda Civic Type R owner!

congrats! I got my CW a week before you over at Pompano Honda!

MstrSHAKE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
Nice. Did they have a dealer markup?
Yes. And worst part was on autotrader it was listed MSRP(36.6k) but when I got there it was about 41.5k. got it down and settled with 37.5 plus they gave me more for my trade in. It all worked out.

Congrats man I'm sure you're loving her ;)

OP
OP
Caestus

Caestus

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes. And worst part was on autotrader it was listed MSRP(36.6k) but when I got there it was about 41.5k. got it down and settled with 37.5 plus they gave me more for my trade in. It all worked out.

Congrats man I'm sure you're loving her ;)

I am. It's great. pretty Similar at Coral Springs Honda. I got them down to the new MSRP and also got more for my trade in. Seems we played it the same way.

2019SiOldGuy

Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Storm trooper Taco TRD 4x4, custom 3 wheel Hy Bird
Country flag
If you can find one for 31k, definitely go for it! I paid 34,200 and from what I’ve heard I am in the minority paying under MSRP. As for the age thing; don’t ever let that bother you! The CTR is a perfectly functional daily driver with plenty of space. Minus one seat haha.
Your high paying that...NEXT!!!

2019SiOldGuy

Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Storm trooper Taco TRD 4x4, custom 3 wheel Hy Bird
Country flag
I'm sorry but he who said they bought a CTR at MSRP are flat out liars!!!! NEXT.....Noway....Love it...keep up the BS!!

OP
OP
Caestus

Caestus

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm sorry but he who said they bought a CTR at MSRP are flat out liars!!!! NEXT.....Noway....Love it...keep up the BS!!

You've got to be kidding me...... What are you basing your statement on? Don't be salty if some of us got it at MSRP (or super close) after all the extras I purchased ( Body Side Molding, truck trays, and other misc add ons) my price came out to 39,100 before TTL The new MSRP is 37,230.... Mind you the extras were HONDA parts I wanted for the car.... I also had them include window tinting (this is Florida so it's pretty easy to get them to include it)
Sponsored