Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I've actually heard that before too from Hyundai and Kia... they offer the warranty, but rarely ever want to uphold it when something happens.
Oh here we go again. And Honda doesn't do the exact same thing?
Sponsored

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd be shocked if *every* company doesn't try their hardest not pay out shit. Quite frankly, as a whole, no company cares about one person's opinion about their product.

ek5.56

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
My girlfriend has a 2016 Veloster. Im going to try to get her to trade it in for the N. She needs to learn how to drive a manual first lol.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Speaking from personal experience as a long time honda owner... i've never had honda refuse to fix anything they couldn't recreate or i could prove myself... however, my mother, a long time kia owner, has had numerous issues getting easily provable issues fixed on her kia... so again, that's been MY experience, but i'm sure it is more based on the dealership someone goes to, rather than the company they represent. We all know dealerships can vary greatly in customer service.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When it comes to Hyundai quality...

I compare the number to RSXs on the road to Tiburons. Same era car and I think they sold about the same numbers. I see RSXs all over the place. Working on base... piles of people have them. A Tiburon... which was directly compared to the RSX and boasted *V6 Power* in a lot of publications? Not so much.

There's a lot to be said about the present... and I do think the brand continues to improve, but I still don't think they've proven themselves to be on par with Nissan/Honda/Toyota once you put years and miles on a car.

So far as the powertrain warranty? I don't know. I'd rather not have to use it in the first place.

Looking at their power trains... they look good on paper (remember the 272 hp Sonatas when the 2.0Ts came out?) but real world performance is lacking. Compare a present 2.0T Sonata to a 2.0T Accord. It's kind of a blowout. The Accord beats it by a second or more in both 0-60 and 1/4 mile.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I guess the irony is my 2002 Elantra GT hatch was so good that I started elantraclub.com in 2002. I was a long time Honda owner and was really impressed with what Hyundai gave you for the money. My modding obsession started with that car. My next car, a Kia Forte SX was fun to drive and the 173hp moved the little car rather well. Excellent handling too. The only downside was a rather rough ride. My only major issue the entire time of Korean car ownership was an A/C problem in the Kia that was handled under warranty.

Having had my forum for over 15 years with over 25,000 members that joined I can tell you the majority of members had good experiences with their vehicles. Like any car forum there were a few members with issues like lousy dealer service, but no different than here at CivicX.

Hyundai has come a long way. Now with Biermann (ex head of the BMW M division) at the helm of the N program things are going to get a lot more real.

Are they as good as Nissan? Absolutely. More reliable than Toyota? No. Honda isn't either. But for a company to go from making garbage that was barely better than a Yugo to what they are doing these days it's an impressive feat.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I guess the irony is my 2002 Elantra GT hatch was so good that I started elantraclub.com in 2002. I was a long time Honda owner and was really impressed with what Hyundai gave you for the money. My modding obsession started with that car. My next car, a Kia Forte SX was fun to drive and the 173hp moved the little car rather well. Excellent handling too. The only downside was a rather rough ride. My only major issue the entire time of Korean car ownership was an A/C problem in the Kia that was handled under warranty.

Having had my forum for over 15 years with over 25,000 members that joined I can tell you the majority of members had good experiences with their vehicles. Like any car forum there were a few members with issues like lousy dealer service, but no different than here at CivicX.

Hyundai has come a long way. Now with Biermann (ex head of the BMW M division) at the helm of the N program things are going to get a lot more real.

Are they as good as Nissan? Absolutely. More reliable than Toyota? No. Honda isn't either. But for a company to go from making garbage that was barely better than a Yugo to what they are doing these days it's an impressive feat.
All good points.

They may very well be on par today... it's just the history that has shaken my confidence and what experience I've had. Heck, my mom has a '15 Sonata and, well, I just haven't been that impressed. I still haven't forgotten their inflated MPGs they had to do settlements on just a few years ago. Heck, I think I read an article about VW getting smacked for the same thing this past month.

I'm pretty jaded towards them and know I oughta give them a look the next time I go car shopping. It was 2 full generations ago, some publications said they were now not only competitive but had matched a lot of the established automakers and they weren't just a 'good for the money' brand. I just haven't seen it... and I still think they age more like milk than wine.

chestypuller

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
All good points.

They may very well be on par today... it's just the history that has shaken my confidence and what experience I've had. Heck, my mom has a '15 Sonata and, well, I just haven't been that impressed. I still haven't forgotten their inflated MPGs they had to do settlements on just a few years ago. Heck, I think I read an article about VW getting smacked for the same thing this past month.

I'm pretty jaded towards them and know I oughta give them a look the next time I go car shopping. It was 2 full generations ago, some publications said they were now not only competitive but had matched a lot of the established automakers and they weren't just a 'good for the money' brand. I just haven't seen it... and I still think they age more like milk than wine.

we had a 2000 hyundai elantra, man what a piece of crap. you had to pump the accelerator on cold winter days to get it to start. less then 100,000 miles on it too. and we were the 2nd owners so the warranty didnt transfer to us, plus every year it needed a brake job. its a shame too since i took it down and got a really nice tint job on it when we first got it.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Recently watched some of the new Veloster review videos. Another sticking point is interior quality at this price point. Considering hyundai wants around the same amount of money for the Veloster, turbo and N the interior is not up to par with the civic. Everything is hard plastic. Upper door trim, upper dash, etc etc. no soft touch materials anywhere other than seats and arm rests. I don’t claim that the civic has luxury levels of soft touch, but it’s certainly equal to or better than most of the affordable compact class in that regard, and I’d expect similar for the kind of money hyundai is asking for a car that barely competes performance wise with the civic.

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As a former veloster turbo owner I wouldn't do it. I had a lot of reliability problems. Every time I turned cruise control on the car would shut off and the dealer never could figure out the problem..the seats wore out in about 40k. Ohh yeah and the trans blew on a manual? How is that? it was stock and my first brand new car ever.

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I would never buy a Hyundai over a Honda, just not on the same level in so many aspects, so much more road noise and doesn’t drive anywhere near as smooth as a Honda. The workmanship and quality just isn’t on the same level, but people need to figure it out themselves, they will have to buy one and then they’ll know.
Sponsored