Things you wish you'd known on your test drive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Touring - White Orchid Pearl
Country flag
What are some things you wish you'd known, noticed or done on your test drive? Things that you only noticed after your purchase? Not necessarily deal-breakers, but things that only registered after the test drive?

• Overall, I'm very happy with my new Civic Touring. The biggest issue for me is the aggressive stance of the built-in, non-adjustable lumbar support, which I somehow didn't notice on my test drive, but now bothers the hell outta me. I'm looking at some supplementary cushions which will hopefully ease the strain of the seat digging into my back. And, yes, I'm trying out lots of different positions to find the least painful one. But, there's a whole other thread for that...

• Not a huge issue at all, but if I had to do it again, I would have asked to take the Civic out onto some rougher roads. Everywhere we went in my test drive, from the dealership, to side streets to freeways were perfectly, evenly paved. And I was totally seduced by the supple, responsive ride. It wasn't until I took the car home and started driving on more uneven streets that I realized how much I feel every bump and pothole and rough edge of the varying street surfaces in my area in this car. The ride becomes decidedly less sophisticated on a rough road. And, no, I don't want some floaty non-responsive ride, it can just get a bit much when the road is rough.

• I'm single and, apparently, self-centered, because I didn't even try out the passenger seat. If I had, I would have known that it was not height adjustable and sits very low. I think my friends will survive when they ride shotgun, but when I visit older relatives, I'm guessing I'll be the last one asked to drive!

• Lastly, not a huge issue as a I cruise into my mid 30s and end up listening to more podcasts and NPR than music, but I probably should have asked to hookup my phone and listen to some music at high levels. The Touring's sound system is okay, but it also -- forgive my layman's descriptions, I'm not an audiophile -- seems to be lacking in richness and the mids and bass feel very... superficial? Music ends up sounding more compressed and less dynamic on this stereo than I would have expected. I also think the highest volume is a little weak for louder highway drives. But, of course, that's an easy solve with an eventual audio upgrade.

Anyway, the point of this thread isn't to be a whiny bastard. I'm very fortunate to be a gainfully employed, able bodied person who can afford this fine automobile. It's just always interesting hearing about what people experience before and after their purchases.
Sponsored

Reactions: mjh

demoPEng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan, 2014 Ninja 300 SE
Country flag
I also didn't listen to the stereo extensively - it wasn't my primary concern on the test drive. It does sound a little flat for my liking, and if given the choice I would have preferred a more significant bass/subwoofer. Not that I would have done anything differently though.

I was also bothered to figure out after purchasing the car that it did not have VTEC - as the salesman reassured me it did - coming from driving a 2005 Acura TSX. Not a big deal again, just a blow to my feelings.

All in all, I feel thankful that my initial deal I made to buy a brand new 2018 Mazda 3 GT fell though because they couldn't find me one made in Japan. This car is shockingly quick, with great pickup and a huge range of modding options. Plus I think it looks was better.

kc189go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 CivicEX
Just out of curiosity -- when you did the Civic test drive, did they allow you to take the car out by yourself on a route of your choosing, or was it the usual situation in which the salesman rides shotgun, tells you what route to take, and typically has you arrive back at the dealer in 10 minutes?

demoPEng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan, 2014 Ninja 300 SE
Country flag
Just out of curiosity -- when you did the Civic test drive, did they allow you to take the car out by yourself on a route of your choosing, or was it the usual situation in which the salesman rides shotgun, tells you what route to take, and typically has you arrive back at the dealer in 10 minutes?
When I did my first and second test drive, I went out just with me and my girlfriend. The salesman said try not to take longer than 15 mins - I know the area because I live in the same town.
The salesman said they typically don't let young men take the Si's for a test drive, but because my aunt works at the dealer, he let us go.

In my experiences, if you show up to the dealerships well dressed, act professional, and take a significant other with you, you have a way better change of the salesman letting you take the car out on your own. For a few reasons in my estimation:
1) They don't want to sit awkwardly in the back as you drive your s/o around and discuss the car.
2) As long as you don't look like Jesse from Fast and the Furious, they will probably figure you will be fine to go on your own.

I had some LONG test drives in the BRZ and MX-5 (both new) while I was looking to buy a car. I went on my own on all of the test drives I did with them.

One line that I think helped the salesman piss off, and let me go on my own was, "Do you mind if I drive this home to see what my parents think, I live about 10 minutes away". No salesman wants to come to your house and meet the family. Time wise for the test drives in this case:
10 mins to home
10-20 mins showing family the car
10 mins back to the dealer
Those were my experiences on the subject of solo test drives.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I hear a lot of guys complaining about the stereo system in all the models of civic, saying it sounds flat or not enough bass etc. I actually have to turn it down in mine. I'm a musician so I kinda know what affects frequency and know basically what stuff should sound like, I mean it is all subjective, but overall to much or not enough bass can kill the sound, just the same with mids,and treble.
There is a setting on the system called neural, I believe, haven't touched it since I set it, so I forget the exact name. Its right where the svc is, anyway, it will really wake up the sound of the system if it isn't on.
I will note, that why I think the system sounds really good for my style of music, which is classic and 80's rock, the sub woofer seems irrelevant and I get a ton of bass from the front speakers. Also, the back speakers alone, sound pretty bad, nothing but highs coming out of them.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Touring - White Orchid Pearl
Country flag
Usual situation in my case, but, honestly, I didn't even think of asking for a solo ride. My salesguy was fine, though. Very low pressure and accommodating, so it's not on him.

I hear a lot of guys complaining about the stereo system in all the models of civic, saying it sounds flat or not enough bass etc. I actually have to turn it down in mine. I'm a musician so I kinda know what affects frequency and know basically what stuff should sound like, I mean it is all subjective, but overall to much or not enough bass can kill the sound, just the same with mids,and treble.
There is a setting on the system called neural, I believe, haven't touched it since I set it, so I forget the exact name. Its right where the svc is, anyway, it will really wake up the sound of the system if it isn't on.
I will note, that why I think the system sounds really good for my style of music, which is classic and 80's rock, the sub woofer seems irrelevant and I get a ton of bass from the front speakers. Also, the back speakers alone, sound pretty bad, nothing but highs coming out of them.
Again, not an audiophile, but I'd say it's not so much the amount of bass as the quality and presence of it.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Usual situation in my case, but, honestly, I didn't even think of asking for a solo ride. My salesguy was fine, though. Very low pressure and accommodating, so it's not on him.

Again, not an audiophile, but I'd say it's not so much the amount of bass as the quality and presence of it.
Yea, it doesn't contain a lot of mid bass, for me it's the boomy type, which is why I cut it back, but it doesn't sound bad by any means. For me personally, its nowhere near worth it to install a different sub and go through all that.
Sponsored