Theoretically, could you make this into a HP monster?

2hot2handle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIVIC-TOURING, 2005 EVO VIII
Any car has potential if you put enough $ money into it. Back in the day, the D16Z7 (1.6 single cam Vtec motor from a 99 Civic EX) was able to push 175+whp fully built all motor and there were a bunch of people (including myself) who ran 200+whp on custom turbo and/or nitrous setups with built bottom ends (during those days, there weren't many cams available but there were aftermarket rods and pistons available for the D16Z7). Back in 2000, I ran a built bottom and stock head with a ZEX 100 shot direct port nitrous system. Motor ran fairly reliable but the stock transmission didnt like the 22" drag radials and hard launches. I would imagine with how technology much better today and enough money, someone can fully build our new 1.5 turbo motor and pump out a good amount of power to the wheels on E85 or better fuel. The question would be how would the CVT hold up and is it even upgradeable to hold more torque? Worst case, I would bet a fully built 6 speed thats coming out would be a better option in terms of building to handle the increased torque.
Sponsored

2hot2handle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have an opportunity to run your Ktuned car at the track? Im curious to see what the trap speed is after the flash.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Unfortunately in my area there isn't much of a track option. But I do know a place in my area that has a nice strip in the middle of nowhere, open space and no driveways. The area doesn't have a police force. I intend to do my testing there. And I agree with 2hot2handle, the CVT is going to be the deciding part when modding. It probably wont like anything above 250. One of the representatives at KTuner is going to be working closely with me on this.

Wyborowa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic coupe LX MT
Country flag
With my LX manual transmission, I can hear the engine suck air in after each shift as I press on the gas ... As if it's begging to be wide-open ....
I think I am going to trade in my sedan for a coupe..

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I'll probably trade for the hatch version. Maybe 2017, probably 18 tho. Miss being able to move things if needed.

2hot2handle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awesome, keep us posted..... even if you can log the trap speed of before and after flash would be helpful. Like if the Ktuner flash can log your estimated trap speed on stock flash vs reflashed.

biffosaur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Fusion Sport, 98 Civic Dx (turbo/Blown), 98 Civic Ex (Blown), 87 CRX HF, 94 F150 302
Any car has potential if you put enough $ money into it. Back in the day, the D16Z7 (1.6 single cam Vtec motor from a 99 Civic EX) was able to push 175+whp fully built all motor and there were a bunch of people (including myself) who ran 200+whp on custom turbo and/or nitrous setups with built bottom ends (during those days, there weren't many cams available but there were aftermarket rods and pistons available for the D16Z7). Back in 2000, I ran a built bottom and stock head with a ZEX 100 shot direct port nitrous system. Motor ran fairly reliable but the stock transmission didnt like the 22" drag radials and hard launches. I would imagine with how technology much better today and enough money, someone can fully build our new 1.5 turbo motor and pump out a good amount of power to the wheels on E85 or better fuel. The question would be how would the CVT hold up and is it even upgradeable to hold more torque? Worst case, I would bet a fully built 6 speed thats coming out would be a better option in terms of building to handle the increased torque.
I think you mean d16y8 (unless you were in Europe), but yeah, the D-series engines could easily handle 200+ crank hp stock and more than 3 times that if built properly (yes, 600+ hp from a 1.6 SOHC).

The 6 speed will be the better option, but I will bet 50 bucks that the fuel system on this won't support much more than 300hp without the addition of MPFI in the form of an aux pump and injectors.

I'm excited to see what this engine can handle, but if I was going to make it a sleeper I'd probably do a powertrain swap.
Sponsored