The Type R isn't always an easy manual to drive

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
I may get a lot of flack for this, but hear me out. I can't be the only one that feels this way.

Overall, I think the Type R is very easy to drive and might even be easy for a beginner to learn on. With auto rev match, you don't even have to know what you're doing.

With that said, the variation in throttle response between drive modes makes it difficult to get the balance between clutch and throttle just right every time. I usually drive around in Sport mode unless I'm on the highway (comfort mode and usually no shifting) or I'm going out to do some spirited driving in +R mode.
If my wife's in the car, I'll put it in comfort mode. But, then I frequently end up not giving it enough throttle and lug the engine. The other day she asked if something was wrong with the car (Which is pretty embarrassing for someone who has been driving manuals for almost a decade.)
When I go out to do some spirited driving in +R mode, I often end up giving it too much throttle and feel that I'm slipping the clutch too much.

I'm a set-it-and-forget-it type of guy and I don't usually think too much about what I'm doing with my feet while driving. With varying throttle response, I find myself needing to think more about what my feet are doing, and when I forget, I make what feel like amateur mistakes.

In the end, I still love driving this car and I can't believe I get to do so almost every day.
Rant over...
Sponsored

ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
No issues here except when I wear my super stiff work boots. After a minute or two I'm good.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
it really just comes down to adapting to the different modes. I drive in comfort most of the time and find it fine.

It's not as easy as the NA miata I had, which had a friction point as large as a proverbial football field, but it's still relatively easy to drive. My GF had no problem learning getting going from a stop.

flacobill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 IS500 his, 2020 RR FK7- hers
Country flag
Best manual I’ve ever driven & the gear position indicator is the cherry on the top!

darrvao777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR, '18 G550
Country flag
Not sure I agree, I picked it up rather quickly as a first time stick driver

movovr

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Having driven hundreds of thousands of km with different manual vehicles I can honestly say that the type r is the easiest manual car I have ever had. It would be one if the best cars to learn how to drive a manual vehicle too in my opinion. The rev match is the icing on the cake.

Overeazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatch *Sold*
Country flag
Strongly disagree, whenever I drive my buddies type R Im always amazed how much smoother it is than my own fk7. That light flywheel, heavier clutch and less notchy gear box is most excellent.

shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 STI, 15 CRV, 16 Civic RS Turbo, 18 Civic Type R
Country flag
I understand the differences you feel in throttle response between the different modes. When changing to another mode, I'd also give it too little or too much gas. After one or two starts from a standstill, the right foot automatically adjusts. It is never a problem once the car is rolling.

Overall it is the easiest manual car I've driven.

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
I do find myself thinking a lot when shifting from 1st to 2nd because of those stupid gear grinds. I can shift really fast between gears without too much thought except 1st to 2nd. I deliberately make sure the clutch is pressed all the way in and wait a little longer than I like before shifting into 2nd.

Morning Mahogany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type-R
Country flag
I agree to an extent. It’s almost like learning how to drive three different manual cars ...but all of which are easy to drive. It can get tricky when you forget which driving mode you’re in.

FK8_K20c1

HONDA The Power of Earth Dreams Technology!
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I may get a lot of flack for this, but hear me out. I can't be the only one that feels this way.

Overall, I think the Type R is very easy to drive and might even be easy for a beginner to learn on. With auto rev match, you don't even have to know what you're doing.

With that said, the variation in throttle response between drive modes makes it difficult to get the balance between clutch and throttle just right every time. I usually drive around in Sport mode unless I'm on the highway (comfort mode and usually no shifting) or I'm going out to do some spirited driving in +R mode.
If my wife's in the car, I'll put it in comfort mode. But, then I frequently end up not giving it enough throttle and lug the engine. The other day she asked if something was wrong with the car (Which is pretty embarrassing for someone who has been driving manuals for almost a decade.)
When I go out to do some spirited driving in +R mode, I often end up giving it too much throttle and feel that I'm slipping the clutch too much.

I'm a set-it-and-forget-it type of guy and I don't usually think too much about what I'm doing with my feet while driving. With varying throttle response, I find myself needing to think more about what my feet are doing, and when I forget, I make what feel like amateur mistakes.

In the end, I still love driving this car and I can't believe I get to do so almost every day.
Rant over...
I can understand but that is part of how technology changes through the years. Some get use to it, some go back to what they like and stay there.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Been driving manual shift vehicles since 1968...yes the year of 1968. This is absolutely the easiest one I have ever driven...period. I have three manual cars now and the brain can adjust to them by the time I roll out to the cross street which is about 100 feet from the driveway. Do they all feel different...yes, but the brain adjusts the feet/hands. I drive the R in Sport almost exclusively and do experience throttle modulation issues, however, that is related to my right foot unexpectedly becoming heavy while progressing through the gears. I do not plan to fix or worry about this issue because it never fails to bring a smile!!:D

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I hate how mushy the pedal is in comfort mode. However, I also feel like it’s far easier to shift smoother when in comfort mode (although I can and still do it in sport/+R) for an unexplainable reason.

At 5’11 3/4 @ 125 lbs wearing size 13 shoes I feel like my proportions are not made for the car. I have yet to find a perfect seating position where it feels like I am not too close or too far. Right now I’m somewhat far away but it’s the best distance I can go without starting to worry I won’t depress the clutch all the way. The bolsters don’t touch me unless I’m flying around a corner and I swear my foot runs into the mat when I shift more than I’d like.

Other than those things though I do find this car simple to learn in because auto rev match with a good amount of power and automatic brake hold greatly reduce chances of stalling. Why it took me so long I don’t know, but at least I never gave up.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
I hate how mushy the pedal is in comfort mode. However, I also feel like it’s far easier to shift smoother when in comfort mode (although I can and still do it in sport/+R) for an unexplainable reason.
It's smoother in comfort because the throttle pedal is not as sensitive so even if you are not perfect on the pedal, it does not jerk as much as it would in sport or R.

The car is also a lot harder to stall out. If you noticed, it adds throttle when your just half clutching it. Try applying the brakes slowly in 2nd gear. When you get under 8mph, the car will also add throttle to try to maintain 8mph instead of dropping lower and stalling.

This car is by far the easiest car to drive out of ones that i have owned.
Sponsored