The Si deserves better tires

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
Yea it gets freezing here, it even got in the teens last winter (19F was the lowest last year). And yes all stock(well as far as Engine/suspension). These are a few things I added after purchase..
After market alarm
Splash guards
Si steering wheel badge
HFP red carpets
LED headlights
Michelin UHP Pilot Sport A/S 3+

Everything else is bone stock. Is it perfect? No, but I honestly love the car the way it is. Power is more than adequate, actually got tested by a GTI( 2015-2016 model year maybe) on the freeway a few days ago, and it was neck and neck till I pulled back, though it was only from 60-80mph-ish. Handling is
superb, ride is comfortable. I dont see myself ever touching the engine or suspension.
Looks really good. A nice upgrade is the LED headlights. Why those wernt standard on American Si is a crime.
Me, I couldn't care less for additional power from motor mods or annoying exhaust farts. This Si in stock form is plenty fast when that boost spools Up. One speeding ticket is more than enough, thank you. The K&N I'm putting in will lead to marginal power gains, but I'm more after smoother engine performance and mpg which I hear are possible. We'll see. I'm really just interested in grip, and what is on this car now just makes the Si shine in cornering and handling
Sponsored

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
What type of bracing are you planning? And I thought about the K/N filter but I hear that its just a waste of money, no additional performance or major difference, maybe a slight increase in fuel economy like 2-3MPG.
Already braced for a while now. Tanabe strut brace and Type R sub frame brace. Combined with the ps4s tire, this car now is one beautiful handling machine at any speed. It’s a tighter grippier car. Like our friend BoostedSiCoupe would say, “it’s an amazing machine”. Was considering a beefier rear sway, but the car is already extremely good at taking the corners with very little understeer I can notice, also I don’t wish to rip out the back end to get to it.
2-3 mpg improvement is pretty good increase with K/N on top of already stellar fuel economy. So I’ll be more than happy with 2 to 3. HP and torque will get a very slight boost, but I’m more interested in the fuel economy, engine smoothness and I hear maybe even more turbo sound. We will see...

Last edited:

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
All air filters create a restriction of the air flow. This means that as the engine draws air, the effective "atmospheric" pressure will be less between the air filter and the turbo compressor. That is, that the turbo will be compressing air back up to a higher pressure from a source that is effectively several hundred ( maybe over a thousand ) feet higher in effective altitude than what you are actually at. The stronger the draw, the bigger the pressure differential between the filter and the turbo compressor.

Tests have shown that "oiled filters" are built to let the stickiness capture the particles instead of restrictions. Therefore they have the least amount of restriction and allow the lowest possible pressure differential.

I've been using a stock form K&N filter for over 50,000 miles with no noticeable "oil" migration.

If you really want to have fun, try racing around the block a few times with the air filter removed. The only restriction will be the intake tube itself. You will get the fullest, densest, air charge to your turbo compressor, and therefore the most performance you current setup will allow.

In the olden days people used to use "Velocity Stacks" instead of air filters on their intakes, A "Velocity Stack" was basically a funnel to suck up the air as smoothly a possibly. Where your engine can "swallow" a couple of mosquitoes or gnats and not think anything of it, much more than that starts to create residue build up that will gum up the works.

Lots of people here are really concerned about fine dust building up in their intake components. If I lived near a desert, i would too. But since I live and drive in the part of the county that is forested and humid with loamy soil, I have less concern about "dust" build up.

P.S. I love my Michelin A/S 3+. Quieter, and more "normal" feeling than the Goodyear all seasons were.

Last edited:
OP
OP
xbbnx

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
All air filters create a restriction of the air flow. This means that as the engine draws air, the effective "atmospheric" pressure will be less between the air filter and the turbo compressor. That is, that the turbo will be compressing air back up to a higher pressure from a source that is effectively several hundred ( maybe over a thousand ) feet higher in effective altitude than what you are actually at. The stronger the draw, the bigger the pressure differential between the filter and the turbo compressor.

Tests have shown that "oiled filters" are built to let the stickiness capture the particles instead of restrictions. Therefore they have the least amount of restriction and allow the lowest possible pressure differential.

I've been using a stock form K&N filter for over 50,000 miles with no noticeable "oil" migration.

If you really want to have fun, try racing around the block a few times with the air filter removed. The only restriction will be the intake tube itself. You will get the fullest, densest, air charge to your turbo compressor, and therefore the most performance you current setup will allow.

In the olden days people used to use "Velocity Stacks" instead of air filters on their intakes, A "Velocity Stack" was basically a funnel to suck up the air as smoothly a possibly. Where your engine can "swallow" a couple of mosquitoes or gnats and not think anything of it, much more than that starts to create residue build up that will gum up the works.

Lots of people here are really concerned about fine dust building up in there intake components. If I lived near a desert, i would too. But since I live and drive in the part of the county that is forested and humid with loamy soil, I have less concern about "dust" build up.

P.S. I love my Michelin A/S 3+. Quieter, and more "normal" feeling than the Goodyear all seasons were.
So what tyoe of perfomance gains should one expect from a K/N filter? It cant be more than maybe a 3HP jump, not enough to notice.

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
So what tyoe of perfomance gains should one expect from a K/N filter? It cant be more than maybe a 3HP jump, not enough to notice.
Honda Civic 10th gen The Si deserves better tires screenshot_20171031-092727-

This is for their custom intake. Using the factory intake I would guess that you should clear a couple of HP. I do notice an increase in off the line quickness with the K&N filter. The car feels a bit sluggish without it to me.
Sponsored