crx2Si

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si
Country flag
Ive always said that the Si's biggest weakness are its tires, put on decent rubbers and you are looking at a car that can out handle a BMW I8, and a Golf R. Which brings me to my question, I am about ready to replace the dreadful all seasons with performance all seasons from better brands. My top choice right now is the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. The reason why I'm going with performance all seasons over summer's is because the weather here in Texas is very unpredictable and I need something that can perform remarkably in all seasons. Has anybody swapped out their oem tires with performnace tires, if so what? And how has it been holding up in terms of performance and wear?
One thing I have found out is that tire pressure is a big factor in wet traction with the Goodyear tires. I run 38psi and have better control over the 30psi.
Sponsored

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
Yes it will run over $ 1,000 with labor and tax, but hopefully will be worth it. Just putting different all season tires will probably not make that big a difference. To be sure, the SI handles superbly even on the factory all seasons, but I want all of the .97 g of grip this car is capable of.[/QUOTE]

Oh yes it’ll be totally worth it. And the PS4s on Si would probably get closer to 1g on the lateral skid test. The original .97 was tested with the oem GY Asymmetric summers. Good tires, but nowhere near as grippy as my Michelin’s

OP
OP
xbbnx

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
Yes it will run over $ 1,000 with labor and tax, but hopefully will be worth it. Just putting different all season tires will probably not make that big a difference. To be sure, the SI handles superbly even on the factory all seasons, but I want all of the .97 g of grip this car is capable of.
Oh yes it’ll be totally worth it. And the PS4s on Si would probably get closer to 1g on the lateral skid test. The original .97 was tested with the oem GY Asymmetric summers. Good tires, but nowhere near as grippy as my Michelin’s[/QUOTE]
Is it safe to say the the Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ is a better performance tire than the Goodyear Summer's that come with the Si as far as grip and handling?

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Oh yes it’ll be totally worth it. And the PS4s on Si would probably get closer to 1g on the lateral skid test. The original .97 was tested with the oem GY Asymmetric summers. Good tires, but nowhere near as grippy as my Michelin’s
Is it safe to say the the Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ is a better performance tire than the Goodyear Summer's that come with the Si as far as grip and handling?[/QUOTE]
Ah tough one. I honestly wouldn't know. But given the Goodyear Asymmetric 2 is an older design to the pilot a/s 3+, and how dedicated Michelin is with their pilot range, I wouldn't be surprised if they were in fact at least as sticky. All the reviews seem to love how much the pilots grip and handle.
Maybe try asking the British guy over at YouTube "Tyre Reviews" his opinion on this one

OP
OP
xbbnx

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Is it safe to say the the Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ is a better performance tire than the Goodyear Summer's that come with the Si as far as grip and handling?
Ah tough one. I honestly wouldn't know. But given the Goodyear Asymmetric 2 is an older design to the pilot a/s 3+, and how dedicated Michelin is with their pilot range, I wouldn't be surprised if they were in fact at least as sticky. All the reviews seem to love how much the pilots grip and handle.
Maybe try asking the British guy over at YouTube "Tyre Reviews" his opinion on this one[/QUOTE]
I did a 3K rpm launch today with TC partially off (no pedal dance), tire hooked like a pirate. I didnt hear any screeches, feel any slips, and the engine didnt cut power. The car did torque steer a bit, I guess because it was actually able to put down its power instead of just slipping. I was shocked and impressed, I feel like these tires are just Summer tires with some winter capabilities. Worth every penny.

RedBullHondaF1

Banned
Banned
First Name
Speed Maniac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, 2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I actually like the OEM Goodyears. Having had the 9th gen Si...the OEM Conticraps were just awful. Always flatspotting if the car sat for a day or two. They were dangerous in the wet....and you could forget about snow...that was playing with death. Even starting in 2nd gear there was hardly any grip or traction at all in just an inch or two of snow. But yea....Michelins are great...I also like the BFGoodrich Comp2 A/S tires...these were amazing in my 9th gen Si. Wet traction was insane, as was light snow. And for you Michelin fans...Michelin owns BFGoodrich.

The Goodyears are fine to me...be grateful Honda ditched the Conticraps.

OP
OP
xbbnx

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I actually like the OEM Goodyears. Having had the 9th gen Si...the OEM Conticraps were just awful. Always flatspotting if the car sat for a day or two. They were dangerous in the wet....
These are facts. I came from a 2015 Si, owned one for about a year. I remember driving to work one mild rainy day, so obviously the roads were damp, took a mild left turn and completely lost traction and almost went into a ditch. Those were some of the most dangerous tires I have ever driven on. They were the Continental Contipro Contact.

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I Iive in canada, i go with one set of summer tires and one set of winter tires. Our winter is actually long.

I have michelin ps4s on right now, it grips crazy, will give you all the traction u need for daily and track. My sport hatch corner so much faster compare to oem conti tire... the improve of handling is more noticeable than when i change my coilover.

The only condition ps4s cant handle are ice and snow. If there is no snow and ice at houston .. and temp doesnt drop significantly below 44F, you should get ps4s. A/S 3+ performance is lower than ps4s in any condition that is over 44F . I used A/S 3+ on my other vehicle and it is good for daily but traction offer is just not same as ps4s. Also, if your car is tuned, A/S 3+ will not be able to hold down all the torque the wheel has.

Continentak extreme contact dws06.. i heard good thing about this tires too. But never has any experience

Last edited:

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I lauched hard today trying to see if I could break the tires loose with TC off, no chirp no squeal just hooked. These definitely dont act like all seasons.
I have both A/S 3+ and ps4s in two different vehicle... A/S 3+ is pretty good but ps4s will give you even faster cornering.
If your car is tuned, A/S 3+ will not be able to grip on a launch, VSA will kick in.
My car is tuned and bolt on, A/S 3+ is not enough.

Fred_Farkle

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Ive always said that the Si's biggest weakness are its tires, put on decent rubbers and you are looking at a car that can out handle a BMW I8, and a Golf R. Which brings me to my question, I am about ready to replace the dreadful all seasons with performance all seasons from better brands. My top choice right now is the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. The reason why I'm going with performance all seasons over summer's is because the weather here in Texas is very unpredictable and I need something that can perform remarkably in all seasons. Has anybody swapped out their oem tires with performnace tires, if so what? And how has it been holding up in terms of performance and wear?
I would consider the Nokian ZLine A/Ss or even their Summer tires, both of which handle really well in wet conditions. I have their WRG3 All Weather Tires on my Si (about to switch back to my stock wheels and tires) and up here in NE I really need them during the winter snow storms. They are great in slush, too, which is key. They are about as eco-friendly as a tire company can be and their pricing is great.

Last edited:

OP
OP
xbbnx

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have both A/S 3+ and ps4s in two different vehicle... A/S 3+ is pretty good but ps4s will give you even faster cornering.
If your car is tuned, A/S 3+ will not be able to grip on a launch, VSA will kick in.
My car is tuned and bolt on, A/S 3+ is not enough.
Of course the PS4s would be the better performance tire, it is after all the premier performance tire from the premier performance tire manufacturer. Here in Houston during the winter it does drop below 30F sometimes and the weather is so unpredictable I don't want to have to keep switching tires every season so thats why I went with the highest performing all season tire I could find. Sure it is No PS4s, but I have no doubt it can hang with other brand's Summer tires in performance if not outperform them. BTW my car is 100% stock, just the way I like it.

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Of course the PS4s would be the better performance tire, it is after all the premier performance tire from the premier performance tire manufacturer. Here in Houston during the winter it does drop below 30F sometimes and the weather is so unpredictable I don't want to have to keep switching tires every season so thats why I went with the highest performing all season tire I could find. Sure it is No PS4s, but I have no doubt it can hang with other brand's Summer tires in performance if not outperform them. BTW my car is 100% stock, just the way I like it.
If ur local temp will drop below 30F.. ps4s tire compound will harden and lose its traction rapidly... for your case, A/S 3+ will be definitely better.

We ppl in canada here mostly run two set of tire ... we have snow ice and there are months that our road are covered snow.

A/S 3+ is good tires for sure.. better tread life too..

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Wow I had no idea the temp could get that low down In Houston. Always assumed the southern coast gets close
to freezing but not below.
Anyhow me personally, I find it a pain in the ass to change tires for different seasons. That's why our other cars are just a/s...no ugly af winter rubber on mine. If my si were a all year car, I too would go with probably the a/s 3+.
So OP, really your Si is completely stock? Not even additional bracing, cosmetics or lowering? I thought I was the only one here to shun engine and exhaust mods etc with this car. Although I do have additional bracing and a K/N drop in filter going in tomorrow

Last edited:
OP
OP
xbbnx

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Wow I had no idea the temp could get that low down In Houston. Always assumed the southern coast gets close
Anyhow me personally, I find it a pain in the ass to change tires for different seasons. That's why our other cars are just a/s...no ugly af winter rubber on mine. If my si were a all year car, I too would go with probably the a/s 3+.
So OP, really your Si is completely stock? Not even additional bracing, cosmetics or lowering? I thought I was the only one here to shun engine and exhaust mods etc with this car. Although I do have additional bracing and a K/N drop in filter going in tomorrow
Yea it gets freezing here, it even got in the teens last winter (19F was the lowest last year). And yes all stock(well as far as Engine/suspension). These are a few things I added after purchase..
After market alarm
Splash guards
Si steering wheel badge
HFP red carpets
LED headlights
Michelin UHP Pilot Sport A/S 3+

Everything else is bone stock. Is it perfect? No, but I honestly love the car the way it is. Power is more than adequate, actually got tested by a GTI( 2015-2016 model year maybe) on the freeway a few days ago, and it was neck and neck till I pulled back, though it was only from 60-80mph-ish. Handling is superb, ride is comfortable. I dont see myself ever touching the engine or suspension.

OP
OP
xbbnx

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What type of bracing are you planning? And I thought about the K/N filter but I hear that its just a waste of money, no additional performance or major difference, maybe a slight increase in fuel economy like 2-3MPG.
Sponsored