The Si deserves better tires

1. Vrruumm

Vrruumm Senior Member

First Name:
    Chris
    Car(s):
    2017 Honda Civic SI Coupe
    Just go with some RE71Rs for the summer and call it a day.

2. das borgen

das borgen Senior Member

First Name:
    Richard
    Car(s):
    E36 M3, Ducati 748, '17 EGP Si Coupe
    I strongly endorse the Michelin PS4S.

I've been running them on my Si, and they're super

CanadiaegeanBlue and ne0guri thanked this.
  3. MONK13

MONK13 Senior Member

First Name:
    MIKE
    Car(s):
    2019 CIVIC Si Sedan 1997 Toyota Tacoma 351k miles 1993 CIVIC EX 2007 CRV
    Austin, Texas - Though there are MORE days of below 35, but the 120 days of 100s scream summer tires. Just buy a set of ALL SEASON on rims and switch out during Jan/Feb/Mar. The handling you get from really good summer tires makes it safer during those extreme heat days. 2 cents added. No refunds but you can ignore it completely, mocking will cost $2.

rive thanked this.
  4. OP
    xbbnx

xbbnx Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 Honda Civic Si (Current), 2015 Honda Civic Si (Past)
    Just purchased the Michelin Pilot Sport 3+ A/S for $789 for all 4 tires. It will be installed sometime tomorrow. After reading so many reviews, they really seem to be the best all round performer. With the best summer tire level type of grip, outstanding wet performance, and adequate winter grip, I really think I made a good choice. I needed a tire that can make the Si truly shine like it was meant to and deserves to in all 4 seasons, and I think this is it. I will update after about a week or two of driving.

wdubose05 and Captaindicki thanked this.
  5. Abdool

Abdool Senior Member

First Name:
    abdool
    Car(s):
    2018 honda civic touring
    BMW i8? Dafuck u smoking?

6. amirza786

amirza786 Senior Member

Director of IT Operations
    First Name:
    A Mirza
    Car(s):
    2006 Camry SE V6, 2013 Toyota Sienna LE, 2018 Honda Civic Si (SOLD), 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
    Everyone complains about the stock GoodYear AS, but in one year and 14K of driving in all types of conditions I have not had these tires let me down yet. We are having what they call an "Atmospheric river" in Northern Cal, the roads were all wet this morning, no slipping or sliding or tire spin. I guess if you floor it constantly and do jack rabbit starts or hit a corner at 50 mph the tires will slip, but for normal everyday driving they are fine. They are not the best tires, but they are certainly not the worst I have ever had (that honor goes to Bridgestone)

Froggie thanked this.
  7. SFerrusco

SFerrusco Senior Member

First Name:
    Sergio
    Car(s):
    2019 Honda Civic Si (Ktuner, K&N Intake)
    I would switch my all season tires for summer tires but I live in Wisconsin and we have nasty weather 5 out if the 12 months. :(

ne0guri thanked this.
  8. ne0guri

ne0guri Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
    Definitely not the case in my situations with wet roads. But it could be that we don’t get rain often, so when it does, the roads get really slick from the oil rising. I can confirm that my tires spin like crazy on the stock AS tires. I literally drove over a puddle this morning and the tires started to spin a bit. I’m cheap so I’m not ready to just toss these tires away, but damn I really am considering the change soon. Thank goodness Summer is here so I don’t have to worry too much about wet conditions for awhile.

xbbnx, ablueSI and amirza786 thanked this.
  9. amirza786

amirza786 Senior Member

First Name:
    A Mirza
    Car(s):
    2006 Camry SE V6, 2013 Toyota Sienna LE, 2018 Honda Civic Si (SOLD), 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
    We had a lot of rain between October and March, no issues with wet roads at all. In January I drove through a snowstorm when heading to Southern California, due to a major hwy closure GPS routed me through a mountain pass through the Mojave desert where it was snowing hard enough where visibility was compromised, and no issues with slipping! Maybe these tires like Cali roads :)

ne0guri thanked this.
  10. charleswrivers

charleswrivers Senior Member

EMNCS(SS)
    First Name:
    Charles
    Car(s):
    '14 Odyssey EX-L '18 Civic SI Sedan '94 300zx twin turbo 2001 Ford F-150 Sport
    (shrug) Totally different cars... totally different price points. Still... at 1/6 the price, the Si with it's optional summer tires was the equal if an i8 in skidpad and braking performance based on instrumented tests. I think the factory summers they offered were pretty ok. Now that it's warm again and the tires are a little softer and the car down on the power it had in the winter, they hold nicely. I'd certainly have not wanted an Si with all seasons unless absolutely necessary. M+S is nice to have in a tire, but I'd still rather run summers as much as possible. In upstate NY, I ran tires on different rims based on the season on my RSX.

11. ablueSI

ablueSI Senior Member

Car(s):
    '18 Civic SI Sedan
    I'm going to respectfully disagree - I absolutely hate the A/S - I'm in the Bay Area and it's damp today. I was following a Prius on a curvy road, at moderate speeds, and I could not keep up - the car was heavily understeering. I've been in some hairy situations with these tires in the rain.

OP - good for you on going with what you want! That's all that matters. But, summer tires are absolutely the best for rain vs. all-seasons (above 40 degrees). It's been proven many times by multiple publications. I'm curious to hear how things go, though.

Froggie, amirza786 and xbbnx thanked this.
  12. OP
    xbbnx

xbbnx Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 Honda Civic Si (Current), 2015 Honda Civic Si (Past)
    #27 xbbnx, May 15, 2019
    Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Car and Driver:

BMW I8:
    Skidpad: .96g
    Braking 70-0mph: 165 ft

Civic Si Sedan( OEM Summer tire)
    Skidpad: .97g
    Braking 70-0 mph: 161 ft

Everything I say on here I can back up, I dont just talk out of my a**.

CanadiaegeanBlue and charleswrivers thanked this.
  13. Yal

Yal New to the brand

First Name:
    Allen
    Car(s):
    2018 Civic Si
    Autocross a couple weekends ago with the stock A/S I was pushing so hard in every corner my times were nowhere near competitive. Love feeling the front wash in the middle of a corner (sarcasm). Time for a bigger rear sway, better tires, and more driver mod.

amirza786 thanked this.
  14. amirza786

amirza786 Senior Member

First Name:
    A Mirza
    Car(s):
    The stock AS are definitely far from the best tires, but I don't know what to tell you bro, I have not been able to get them to break traction in a significant way where I felt control was an issue. I just got back from picking up my son from the N San Jose area (north First street off of the 237) it was raining, I went into a few steep turns pushing it a bit, could not get it to break traction, even when getting on the 880 S interchange at 70. I don't know, maybe it's because I have been driving since 1984 and I've driven every type of road condition? Anyway when I do replace them it will be with Michellins or BFGoodrich

Captaindicki thanked this.
  15. das borgen

das borgen Senior Member

First Name:
    Richard
    Car(s):
    E36 M3, Ducati 748, '17 EGP Si Coupe
    If you were driving in the rain and could get those stock all season Goodyears to break traction, it's because you weren't pushing their limit.

And their limit is very very low in the wet.

I will however note that they lose traction laterally in a very progressive manner that's hard to detect if you're not looking for it. As far as predictability goes, I do concede it's a great tire, plus it has decent life. Aside from that, I have no plaudits for it