The Oil Thread

StevenK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
So: what synthetics are available in the 10th gen's 0W20? When they went to 5W20 it was a while before synthetics were readily available at that rating. Here we go again with the 0W20?
went to Walmart and they don't have the 0W20 let alone in synthetic
:lol: lol j/k
Sponsored

OP
OP

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
For the mechanically inclined, I'm going to cross-post a condition from the Tuning/Forced Induction thread that I believe deserves some attention as you guys begin swapping out oil. In seeing this condition with VW, Audi, BMW, Mazda, and others, I'm inclined to suggest an oil that is rich in detergent (i.e. Rotella) may have some greater benefits in limiting long term carbon deposits on the rings. As most of you know, if the rings become stuck or clogged, oil is then forced up into the cylinder and burned out through the exhaust.

That said, oils with higher detergent content can prematurely wear the cat over time (150K+). So it really comes down to personal preference and further oil analysis. BUT, gradual soot accumulation (carbon deposits) may not show up in UOA readouts.

CN: Although we have to believe that Honda did its homework here, carbon deposits can be a HUGE issue on direct injection motors.

http://www.civicx.com/threads/tuning-and-forced-induction-glossary.231/#post-64151

Below is an analysis taken on a high mileage turbo direct injection motor with carbon buildup. As cheap insurance, it is HIGHLY recommended to install a basic catch can kit and monitor carbon/oil deposits both on the intake/exhaust valves and the cylinder heads. If left unchecked, the deposits can accumulate on the oil control rings and lead to aggressive oil consumption, despite strong compression results. Increased oil residue can make it way down the turbo, 02 sensors and cats, and can cause further damage over time.

It's unknown as to what degree this will impact Honda's direct injection motors. Temps, valve timing, and oil/fuel quality all play a part. But it's worth mentioning here for those who are considering a mod path.

This motor: 164K with 12K on the plugs. Oil being consumed at 1QT every 200 miles. The 02 sensor (replaced 200-300 miles prior to the plugs being pulled) is believed to have partially contributed to a lean condition as higher quantities of oil were burned/passed along the sensor.

IMG_94191.jpg IMG_14631.jpg IMG_00921.jpg IMG_00911.jpg IMG_00901.jpg IMG_00891.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
By the way, that motor I referenced above was changed for 90% of its life on Penzoil conventional 5W-30, every 4-5K. Which means "tried and true" may not apply to Direct Injection motors long term. Time will tell.

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan, 2007 Mercedes Benz C230 Sport 6MT
I've gone through it many times in the past with our Pilot. Get the "A01" filter. The difference is significant. I spent hours and hours online and your best bet is to use eBay (or VERY carefully on Amazon only if they explicitly say so). That is pretty much the only way you'll be sure that you're getting an A02. Any dealer won't have the A01s and will swap in the A02s. The price seems to vary over time, so find a good deal on 6 and be done for awhile.

I don't know what its like on the Civic, but like on my Miata, its nearly impossible to get to the filter. I bought a Honda filter adapter for like $25 which was worth every penny. Fits the filter like a socket and allows you to easily loosen it, plus make sure its tight. I've had problems with filters not being on tight enough due to oily hands.

Great advice - on Amazon, a reputable seller is Mower Partsman & he has the Filtech A01 filters, see link below:

http://www.amazon.com/Honda-15400-PLM-A01-Oil-Filters-Case/dp/B009K4H42Y

ltmikepowell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Accord Sedan LX V6, 12 Civic Sedan LX, 14 Accord Sedan LX, 16 Civic Sedan EX-L w Sensing
Country flag
I've been using Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20 for my 12' Civic and 14' Accord, but I'm thinking of using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-20 for the 16'. However, it seem like Pennzoil Ultra Plat is hard to find locally (Autozone, Walmart or OReilly - yet M1 AFE is readily available).

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is a good thread. I won't need to change my oil for a while since I have less than 1500 mi on my EXT. But, this is the first turbo I've owned. I always used Castro gtx 5-30 in my 97 and 99, with good results. But I'm anal, so I change those out at 3-4k. Honestly, I know you can go longer, but i don't think I'll go more than 5k on oil. So with the new car, I'm thinking I should consider synthetic.

chriswcalif

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Coupe
Country flag
[

Here's the second UOA of my 2016 Civic Touring Coupe. Read the comments from Blackstone but I'm pleased with how this engine is wearing in. I had initial concerns about fuel dilution of the oil which was evident in the first UOA but that has come down in spite of the fact that I had more miles on this oil (5131 vs 2100 miles). Based on this I plan on running more miles before my next oil change. Most of my driving is long distance on the freeway. I'm still using Mobil One 0W20 EP and the Honda A01 filter.

Attachments

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I switched to a different browser (Google Chrome) because my pdf wouldn't upload before. I see that the report is there but now you have to click on it. Thanks.
At 5,100 miles you've already gone through two oil changes - why didn't you let it go to the recommended maintenance minder oil change average (15% oil life remaining) before doing your first change?

chriswcalif

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Coupe
Country flag
At 5,100 miles you've already gone through two oil changes - why didn't you let it go to the recommended maintenance minder oil change average (15% oil life remaining) before doing your first change?
Because the oil was showing some fuel dilution. Combine that with this being a newly designed engine and that a GDI engine with a turbo is prone to fuel dilution I wanted to see what was going on. Before the first oil change I actually saw the oil level rise on the dipstick. Now that I've satisfied my concern I probably will use the maintenance minder in the future.

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Because the oil was showing some fuel dilution. Combine that with this being a newly designed engine and that a GDI engine with a turbo is prone to fuel dilution I wanted to see what was going on. Before the first oil change I actually saw the oil level rise on the dipstick. Now that I've satisfied my concern I probably will use the maintenance minder in the future.
I appreciate the explanation - looks like your engine is breaking in nicely - I will post my UOA at my 1st oil change, looks like there is no data yet for the 2.0.

OP
OP

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Indeed, the fuel dilution has my interest - .8% in 3K. Not horrible. But expect that will continue to go down.

Great data - thanks for posting.

Wyborowa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic coupe LX MT
Country flag
Penzoil Full Synthetic Oil is thee best imho.... Good enough for Formula 1 and Nascar? Good enough for me.

*runs for cover*

jw0rks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
Anyone here used royal purple in their 1.5T? I've been using royal purple for my past cars with N/A engine, but I don't know if royal purple will give some benefits to our turbo engines?.. Thanks!
Sponsored