The Oil Thread

sillyrabbit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Country flag
My maintence minder popped up with maintence past due (2 km) after it was sitting at 15% oil life for a while.

I am worried that since it’s past due I might have caused damage to the vehicle.

It’s at about ~6000km and I’ve had the car for 1 year, no oil changes until now as I haven’t driven much and I was just following the MM. Pretty much all my trips are short, 10-15 minutes.

Anyone with more knowledge able to chime in?

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Just schedule a change at your earliest convenience - no risk as MM is just a conservative suggestion.
PS - Don't run out of oil - that is important.

OP
OP

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Here's my latest UOA.
  • 2017 Si
  • Mobile 1 AFE OW-20
  • Pulled at 13-15%
  • Drained within 20 minutes of driving 12 miles, city driving.

Few thoughts:
  • Fuel dilution is lower than most, probably because the oil was drained shortly following operation.
  • Oil viscosity is a bit thinner than I want, though wear metals are relatively low.
    • Could be a characteristic of the AFE formula.
    • I will probably need to run M1 EP if I do a tune, or change out the oil earlier.
Honda Civic 10th gen The Oil Thread upload_2018-8-10_15-16-59

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Coupe touring WOP Toyota T4R '06
Hi Guys

Just an update here at 33,000 mi. still running TC-W3 spiked E091 fuel and Castrol Edge 0W40 A3/B4 motor oil...no codes, great fuel economy and a nice quiet engine...all good.

RetroJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T 6MT ViTuned
Country flag
Here is my latest OUA with Mobil 1 0w40 run about 3500 miles. Only mods are Vittune and mishimoto catch can, which barely collected a teaspoon on this OCI. (previous analysis was with M1 0/30 AFE)
I do not baby the car and do plenty of pulls to redline. Happy with this report and I could have run this to 5k easily.

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2023 PWP Si
Country flag
Here is my latest OUA with Mobil 1 0w40 run about 3500 miles. Only mods are Vittune and mishimoto catch can, which barely collected a teaspoon on this OCI. (previous analysis was with M1 0/30 AFE)
I do not baby the car and do plenty of pulls to redline. Happy with this report and I could have run this to 5k easily.
Thanks for posting it.
Did you notice less accumulation in the catch can and fuel dilution after the tune?

RetroJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T 6MT ViTuned
Country flag
Thanks for posting it.
Did you notice less accumulation in the catch can and fuel dilution after the tune?
I can't really say if it was more or less accumulation in the can after the tune. I have noticed less and less over time, and definitely more in winter mixed with condensation.

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2023 PWP Si
Country flag
I can't really say if it was more or less accumulation in the can after the tune. I have noticed less and less over time, and definitely more in winter mixed with condensation.
Oh, ok, that's my experience from my other car. A lot more in the winter, mostly water.
Got my catch can, lazy to install.

OP
OP

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Great readout. Was this also AFE?

Definitely a good candidate to be added to the UOA sticky.

Last edited:

RetroJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T 6MT ViTuned
Country flag
Great readout. Was this also AFE?

Definitely a good candidate to be added to the UOA sticky.
@Design, this was not AFE, but I did a UOA of that on the same sheet at about 9200 miles on the car while running AFE 0/30 which ended with a cSt of 7.11 @100 but still looked good wear wise.

jaydan1020

First Name
Jaydan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cjsynthetic.myamsoil.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si. 2019 CR-V
Country flag
If you get Amsoil SS--does that mean you only change the oil every ~25k miles? What about the filters in that case?
No sir, since our cars are turbocharged they fall under “severe conditions” so it calls for a 15k mile change.

I will be changing the oil and filter every 10k miles and doing a oil analysis to see how Amsoil SS 0W-20 and the Amsoil filter do in my car.

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
No sir, since our cars are turbocharged they fall under “severe conditions” so it calls for a 15k mile change.
Odd that Amsoil says a turbo means severe conditions, but Honda does not.

OP
OP

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Amsoil's guidance is based solely on time/mileage. As we know, Honda's is based on a much more complicated algorithm.
Sponsored