The Oil Thread

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
It's desirable for most people to spend as little money and time as possible on oil changes. If working on your car is your hobby and you enjoy changing your oil, power to you, but that's not the situation for most people.
It's intelligent so long as it doesn't damage the car in any way. Most people trust that if they follow the manufacturer's recommendations they'll be fine, which basically means following the maintenance minder, which seems to pop for people around 7-8k miles, which is not out of line with what you'd expect for a synthetic oil. A lot of people in this thread speculate changing sooner may be beneficial, especially if they feel their driving style may cause more wear.
Also largely due to the fuel dilution of the 0w20 oil, full synthetic or not. I will not go beyond 5000, for the time and cost to do it why would i
Sponsored

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
All of this is strange and bewildering. What is it,specifically,that is desirable or intelligent about going 10k miles without changing the oil? My DIY oil change using M1 extended performance and a new filter costs about 35 bucks. About the same as a tank of gas. I change it every 5k miles.
Just for fun. Maybe it's true that thin black smelly oil is still good. But who gives a shit?????? I suspect it's really about certain people being unable to admit that they're wrong. Or stupid. Or both.
What's so hard to understand about an oil analysis that shows my AMSOIL is protecting the engine perfectly and is still well within spec at 10,000mi? With my analysis reports, I'd be an idiot to change it out before 10,000 miles because it's still doing it's job perfectly. I have proof that I could easily go past 10k intervals if I wanted to.

It's not 1980 any more. Oils don't break down after 3,000 miles anymore. Get with the times.

Also largely due to the fuel dilution of the 0w20 oil, full synthetic or not. I will not go beyond 5000, for the time and cost to do it why would i
Everybody is blowing this fuel dilution thing out of proportion. The reports are showing that the fuel IS NOT affecting the viscosity of quality synthetics. Other than it sounding scary, can you prove that the fuel is harming the oil/engine?

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
What's so hard to understand about an oil analysis that shows my AMSOIL is protecting the engine perfectly and is still well within spec at 10,000mi? With my analysis reports, I'd be an idiot to change it out before 10,000 miles because it's still doing it's job perfectly. I have proof that I could easily go past 10k intervals if I wanted to.

It's not 1980 any more. Oils don't break down after 3,000 miles anymore. Get with the times.

Everybody is blowing this fuel dilution thing out of proportion. The reports are showing that the fuel IS NOT affecting the viscosity of quality synthetics. Other than it sounding scary, can you prove that the fuel is harming the oil/engine?
no, you are an idiot for not changing it out sooner. like I said...................
you're not capable of DIY. That's OK. Nothing to be ashamed of.
It doesn't mean you're a wimp. It really doesn't.
Amsoil is snake oil

Last edited:

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe

Well seeing Honda is recalling 1.5t vehicles in other countries for it I don't have to prove anything, it will start being a problem soon enough.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
no, you are an idiot for not changing it out sooner. like I said...................
you're not capable of DIY. That's OK. Nothing to be ashamed of.
It doesn't mean you're a wimp. It really doesn't.
Amsoil is snake oil
Very civil of you.

I have actual proof that what I'm doing is perfectly safe for my car.
https://www.civicx.com/threads/oil-analysis-database.21607/#post-364703

Well seeing Honda is recalling 1.5t vehicles in other countries for it I don't have to prove anything, it will start being a problem soon enough.
I know about the recall, but there is a lot of political/legal stuff behind recalls that most people don't realize. I will keep analyzing my oil and KNOW for certain that my engine is still good. If the fuel was affecting the oil, the viscosity would be way out of spec (it isn't) and wear metals/silicon would be high from the block/head and seals breaking down (they aren't).

Look at Samsung and the Note 7 thing. A few people said their phones were "blowing up" so Samsung set up a testing room where they tested thousands of phones from every batch by over charging the batter 10x the amperage in a 200°f room. They could not recreate the failure, but they still recalled and stop sale all Note 7 phones because hundreds of thousands of people who didn't know anything were freaking out.

It's easier for a company to do a recall than face public outcry. Honda will probably just do an ECU update that leans out the A:F a bit and there is your "fix".

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Lol, now comparing phones to engines,,,,there's actually hundreds of issues but who's counting. I'll just keep changing my oil at 5000 or less no matter what brand I use

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Lol, now comparing phones to engines,,,,there's actually hundreds of issues but who's counting. I'll just keep changing my oil at 5000 or less no matter what brand I use
I'm not comparing phones to engines. I'm comparing giant companies to giant companies.

Do whatever you want, but stop arguing feelings vs facts. You "feel" like 5000 is better. You "feel" like the fuel is an issue.

I know it isn't. I have scientific proof.

ToastedSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I'm not comparing phones to engines. I'm comparing giant companies to giant companies.

Do whatever you want, but stop arguing feelings vs facts. You "feel" like 5000 is better. You "feel" like the fuel is an issue.

I know it isn't. I have scientific proof.
lmao don't hurt his feelings

/s

on topic: anyone following the MM to the T and doing analysis?

HatchorNada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic Hatch
I probably went about 1500 over, and I went 5800 miles on the FF or virgin auto oil that the MMS wanted out by 4200 miles. I did this for the extra moly, and since then I go by the minder and use elite 0w-20 (no need to mention full synthetic since all 0w-20s are full syn)

Phantisy

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.primalsynthetics.com
Vehicle(s)
'13 Honda Fit Sport, 17 Honda CTR
Country flag
I probably went about 1500 over, and I went 5800 miles on the FF or virgin auto oil that the MMS wanted out by 4200 miles. I did this for the extra moly, and since then I go by the minder and use elite 0w-20 (no need to mention full synthetic since all 0w-20s are full syn)
Not all 0w-20 oils are a true full synthetic oil though. Some claim to be, but are not a group IV oil. Only group IV and higher oils are a true fully synthetic oil.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
Very civil of you.

I have actual proof that what I'm doing is perfectly safe for my car.
https://www.civicx.com/threads/oil-analysis-database.21607/#post-364703

I know about the recall, but there is a lot of political/legal stuff behind recalls that most people don't realize. I will keep analyzing my oil and KNOW for certain that my engine is still good. If the fuel was affecting the oil, the viscosity would be way out of spec (it isn't) and wear metals/silicon would be high from the block/head and seals breaking down (they aren't).

Look at Samsung and the Note 7 thing. A few people said their phones were "blowing up" so Samsung set up a testing room where they tested thousands of phones from every batch by over charging the batter 10x the amperage in a 200°f room. They could not recreate the failure, but they still recalled and stop sale all Note 7 phones because hundreds of thousands of people who didn't know anything were freaking out.

It's easier for a company to do a recall than face public outcry. Honda will probably just do an ECU update that leans out the A:F a bit and there is your "fix".
you're right. my apologies.

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
So what oil is recommended? I'm due for an oil change soon and if there is something better than what Honda will put in my car--I'll buy it.
The Honda oil is "good enough" , obviously, but if you want to try something better than what Honda rebadges, and maybe easier to purchase, get Pennzoil Platinum. The viscosity rating is in your owners manual, or on the oil cap. Amsoil is rated at a higher mileage interval than PP, but also costs twice(?) as much, and you likely won't be taking the interval to PP's max mileage anyway, much less Amsoil's. Personally, since the Civic MIGHT have a fuel/oil dilution issue, I wouldn't go over the MM until there's some conclusion or fix made.

This person did a UOA of PP, M1, and Amsoil:
https://www.impalassforum.com/vBull...l-1-vs-pennzoil-ultra-platinum-vs-amsoil.html

Last edited:

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
I read an article back during that time that said every phone model has had at least one blow up.

chestypuller

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
so Pennzoil Platinum is the best oil to use in the 1.5t?

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
so Pennzoil Platinum is the best oil to use in the 1.5t?
Ultra Platinum is the one to use if you use pennzoil, it is rebottled Shell Helix Ultra from Europe, Ferrari factory fill along with a few other high end cars. Great prices on Amazon!!!!!
Sponsored