The Oil Thread

nxt3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Cjsynthetic.myamsoil.com

If you go to the bottom and put in your vehicle information it will pull up everything Amsoil has for that specific vehicle.

No problem, let me know if you have any other questions.
Last question: any reason to go for the XL Amsoil over the OE? I think I'm falling for the "more expensive is better" thing.
Sponsored

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
Last question: any reason to go for the XL Amsoil over the OE? I think I'm falling for the "more expensive is better" thing.
IMO, if you’re going for Amsoil, use Signature Series. OE/XL are no better than off the shelve Mobil, Pennzoil etc but cost more. SS is an excellent synthetic, with bunch of UOA/VOA.

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CTR Boost Blue, '21 Mazda 3
Country flag
Stupid question...but...has anyone ever had an engine hosed because they used Mobil1?? I had always used just your basic Havoline in vehicles for years...then went synthetic, and since Honda recommends Mobil1...that's what I use. I would never wait to change it by the 'service minder'...I change about every 6k miles. I'm not about to pay out $100 for an oil change - especially one I do myself. I guess if you beat the pi$$ out of your ride, that's one thing, but I haven't done that for years...I'm smarter now (I think)...

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
Stupid question...but...has anyone ever had an engine hosed because they used Mobil1?? I had always used just your basic Havoline in vehicles for years...then went synthetic, and since Honda recommends Mobil1...that's what I use. I would never wait to change it by the 'service minder'...I change about every 6k miles. I'm not about to pay out $100 for an oil change - especially one I do myself. I guess if you beat the pi$$ out of your ride, that's one thing, but I haven't done that for years...I'm smarter now (I think)...
Totally irrelevant comment. A person is asking specific questions about AMSOIL, not any other oil. If you have anything to answer to his SPECIFIC question, please do so. Otherwise it will turn into another “shit on amsoil”, tread.

And yes, even super tech will do the job, no doubt on that. But it’s not about super tech or any other oil here that he asked.

Peace

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Totally irrelevant comment. A person is asking specific questions about AMSOIL, not any other oil. If you have anything to answer to his SPECIFIC question, please do so. Otherwise it will turn into another “shit on amsoil”, tread.

And yes, even super tech will do the job, no doubt on that. But it’s not about super tech or any other oil here that he asked.

Peace
I understand that. I wasn't trying to shit on Amsoil. I was asking a question related to oil, in general. It was an honest question, and, since this IS the OIL THREAD, it is the CORRECT place to ask. Did I quote that poster, or you, for that matter, in my question?? Umm....No..no I didn't.

For the most part, these forums are friendly and informative...maybe you should consider that before jumping down someone's throat, since it was all out of context anyway.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

nxt3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag

nxt3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
If you get Amsoil SS--does that mean you only change the oil every ~25k miles? What about the filters in that case?

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
I understand that. I wasn't trying to shit on Amsoil. I was asking a question related to oil, in general. It was an honest question, and, since this IS the OIL THREAD, it is the CORRECT place to ask. Did I quote that poster, or you, for that matter, in my question?? Umm....No..no I didn't.

For the most part, these forums are friendly and informative...maybe you should consider that before jumping down someone's throat, since it was all out of context anyway.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.
My appologies if my comment sound mean and rude. It was meant to do so. I guess I misinterpreted your question/comment.

But since it was your question: i personally belive that amsoil ss is a good oil and i have some sort of the proof with the UOA. I gives me a peace of mind and i like the feel knowing that i have a good oil in the sump. But i’m sure that most of the oils will do the job (lubricate and cool the engine). Some better, some a bit worse, which will show different wear results in the UOA. But i have no clue if this really matters long term. More so, i have no idea how much longer i will own and drive this car. With that said, i think the entire oil thing is overblown (within this forum and many others). But that is so cool to chat and argue with people, learn something new etc. Not sure if all this makes any sense haha

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you get Amsoil SS--does that mean you only change the oil every ~25k miles? What about the filters in that case?
Based on my reports, a 10,000 mile interval is perfectly safe for my driving habits and conditions. I could easily go 12k or even 15k and I would expect my report to still be good. That being said, I'm still changing at 10,000 miles. I change my filter every oil change too. I never drive aggressively and my average MPG is around 42-45mpg, so you can see I drive very softly and mostly expressway.

25,000 miles I believe would be a stretch. I know they advertise that, but who knows the engine/conditions that number is based off (marketing misdirection 101).

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My appologies if my comment sound mean and rude. It was meant to do so. I guess I misinterpreted your question/comment.

But since it was your question: i personally belive that amsoil ss is a good oil and i have some sort of the proof with the UOA. I gives me a peace of mind and i like the feel knowing that i have a good oil in the sump. But i’m sure that most of the oils will do the job (lubricate and cool the engine). Some better, some a bit worse, which will show different wear results in the UOA. But i have no clue if this really matters long term. More so, i have no idea how much longer i will own and drive this car. With that said, i think the entire oil thing is overblown (within this forum and many others). But that is so cool to chat and argue with people, learn something new etc. Not sure if all this makes any sense haha
I does make sense, thanks! Also - my apologies for going electronically postal...I should know better by now than to peruse the forums when it's a bad day at work...lol.

nxt3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Based on my reports, a 10,000 mile interval is perfectly safe for my driving habits and conditions. I could easily go 12k or even 15k and I would expect my report to still be good. That being said, I'm still changing at 10,000 miles. I change my filter every oil change too. I never drive aggressively and my average MPG is around 42-45mpg, so you can see I drive very softly and mostly expressway.

25,000 miles I believe would be a stretch. I know they advertise that, but who knows the engine/conditions that number is based off (marketing misdirection 101).
I didn't know if the filter had to be changed more frequently than the oil. I think I'd just go by the oil life that my Type R reports. I drive aggressively though and have no idea how you get 40mpg+ lol.

Guess that settles it. SS Amsoil + Nix Oil filter every 10k miles or when oil life is below 20%. :D

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
All of this is strange and bewildering. What is it,specifically,that is desirable or intelligent about going 10k miles without changing the oil? My DIY oil change using M1 extended performance and a new filter costs about 35 bucks. About the same as a tank of gas. I change it every 5k miles.
Just for fun. Maybe it's true that thin black smelly oil is still good. But who gives a shit?????? I suspect it's really about certain people being unable to admit that they're wrong. Or stupid. Or both.

HatchorNada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic Hatch
All of this is strange and bewildering. What is it,specifically,that is desirable or intelligent about going 10k miles without changing the oil? My DIY oil change using M1 extended performance and a new filter costs about 35 bucks. About the same as a tank of gas. I change it every 5k miles.
Just for fun. Maybe it's true that thin black smelly oil is still good. But who gives a shit?????? I suspect it's really about certain people being unable to admit that they're wrong. Or stupid. Or both.
MY OLM/MMS is yielding and showing 4k-ish but I have Turbo Direct Inj so I'm special these days in the oil conversations.

GlassyIce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic
Country flag
All of this is strange and bewildering. What is it,specifically,that is desirable or intelligent about going 10k miles without changing the oil?
It's desirable for most people to spend as little money and time as possible on oil changes. If working on your car is your hobby and you enjoy changing your oil, power to you, but that's not the situation for most people.
It's intelligent so long as it doesn't damage the car in any way. Most people trust that if they follow the manufacturer's recommendations they'll be fine, which basically means following the maintenance minder, which seems to pop for people around 7-8k miles, which is not out of line with what you'd expect for a synthetic oil. A lot of people in this thread speculate changing sooner may be beneficial, especially if they feel their driving style may cause more wear.
Sponsored