The Official ACUITY Instruments CivicX product launch thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

daijobu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
With all the acuity shifter parts coming out, would you guys recommend getting the rocker arm, centering spring, base bushings, and cable bushings now, and then throw them all together? Or wait for the full short shifter set, which will likely come with at least some, if not most, of these items (maybe minus the cable bushings)?

I kind of don't want to purchase everything, and then find out that the short shifter has most of them already. If Acuity has some info too, that would be awesome!
Sponsored

daijobu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Personally I am just getting all of the parts seperately first.
Acuity just got back to me and they let me know that they are indeed releasing stage 2 and a stage 3 for the 10th gen, with stage 3 being the equivalent of the 9th gen Stage 2 short shifter kit. This does come with several more parts, and they recommend to go ahead and go with the cable bushings and/or knob for now if you plan to get the short shifter kit later. Hope this helps!

Tim818

King Of The ā€˜Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
Yay I get to tear into my interior pieces again while installing the rocker arm piece and short shifter :headbang:

I just realized I have to take apart the trim pieces again because I forgot to take off the oem base bushings :doh:

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
With all the acuity shifter parts coming out, would you guys recommend getting the rocker arm, centering spring, base bushings, and cable bushings now, and then throw them all together? Or wait for the full short shifter set, which will likely come with at least some, if not most, of these items (maybe minus the cable bushings)?

I kind of don't want to purchase everything, and then find out that the short shifter has most of them already. If Acuity has some info too, that would be awesome!
There's a couple different things going on here.

1. Acuity will be coming out with a complete replacement shifter for CivicX. This can be configured to be a short shifter. Like their ninth-gen shifter, it will be in a different price bracket than the mods.

2. There will also be a short-shift adapter for all CivicX *except* Type R's (and also not for people who have retrofitted the Type R shifter into other CivicX).

So:
- on the underhood side, there are the shifter cable bushings, which are good for everything;
- on the top-console side, there are:
- ESCO shift knob, which is great if you shift with your thumb on top, a.k.a. pistol grip, and/or you don't like the heat/cold that a metal shift knob retains; and
- shift boot collar, to keep your shift boot nicely in place.​
- on the under-console side, there are:
- Shifter base bushings, a great inexpensive upgrade that affects the overall feel, but not the geometry;
- Centering spring, which impacts the side-to-side force you apply to move between gates, either a bit if you have a Type R (or Type R shifter), or quite a bit otherwise;
- Short shift adapter (coming soon), which shortens the up/down length of throws, i.e., the height of the 'HH' pattern (and only for non-Type R shifters, because adding the adapter to a Type R shifter puts too much stress on the cables); and
- Rocker (coming soon), which shortens the sideways length of throws, i.e., the width of the 'HH,' and also makes the feel of precision of shifts a lot better IMO.​
On the under-console side, it makes sense to me to do the shifter base bushings as one thing, or do it all at once. (I have everything except the short shift adapter because Type R, eh?)

Whether you want to do all the under-console stuff at once or not depends on your budget and how much you enjoy taking apart your console. The first time I took the console off (to install the shifter base bushings), I thought that I would never do that again, but since then I've done it a few times and it is less of deal each subsequent time - it isn't a big deal at all.

Last edited:

Tim818

King Of The ā€˜Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
Yea im waiting to take my car apart until I have all of the pieces I have the Centering Spring and Base bushings on hold here until that Rocker comes out than im gonna install all 3 at once
Take your time when taking the interior pieces apart, donā€™t be like me and rush the install and scratch up the pieces, I now have some interior pieces on order lol

daijobu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
There's a couple different things going on here.

1. Acuity will be coming out with a complete replacement shifter for CivicX. This can be configured to be a short shifter. Like their ninth-gen shifter, it will be in a different price bracket than the mods.

2. There will also be a short-shift adapter for all CivicX *except* Type R's (and also people who have retrofitted the Type R shifter into other CivicX).

So:
- on the underhood side, there are the shifter cable bushings, which are good for everything;
- on the top-console side, there are:
- ESCO shift knob, which is great if you shift with your thumb on top, a.k.a. pistol grip, and/or you don't like the heat/cold that a metal shift knob retains; and
- shift boot collar, to keep your shift boot nicely in place.​
- on the under-console side, there are:
- shifter base bushings, a great inexpensive upgrade that affects the overall feel, but not the geometry;
- Centering spring, which impacts the side-to-side force you apply to move between gates, either a bit if you have a Type R (or Type R shifter), or quite a bit otherwise;
- Short shift adapter (coming soon), which shortens the up/down length of throws, i.e., the height of the 'HH' pattern (and only for non-Type R shifters, because adding the adapter to a Type R shifter puts too much stress on the cables); and
- Rocker (coming soon), which shortens the sideways length of throws, i.e., the width of the 'HH,' and also makes the feel of precision of shifts a lot better IMO.​
On the under-console side, it makes sense to me to do the shifter base bushings as one thing, or do it all at once. (I have everything except the short shift adapter because Type R, eh?)

Whether you want to do all the under-console stuff at once or not depends on your budget and how much you enjoy taking apart your console. The first time I took the console off (to install the shifter base bushings), I thought that I would never do that again, but since then I've done it a few times and it is less of deal each subsequent time - it isn't a big deal at all.
Thanks for this summary! I have yet to take apart the console, but it's only a matter of time. Since I know for sure I'll already want to do the full short-shifter set up, i will simply wait for that to drop before I do it. I could also stand to put a few more miles on my Si before I go crazy with the mods...

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Im hoping ill be ok i have non maring pry tools and ive watched about every video on youtube on how to take it apart fingers crossed
Make sure that you have a set of hook picks. You will need them to release the three wire bundles underneath the shifter from their plastic mounts.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
I have 2 picks i hope thats good enough and thats the only part of the installation im iffy about
That's only part that's actually difficult. I got everything else unscrewed/removed, but without those picks, I couldn't get these loose at all. Had to put the whole thing back together in defeat.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@ACUITY, I am still patiently waiting to give you more of my money before tearing apart the interior. Please tell me this is around the corner...
From what I've heard these will be available to order in about two weeks, maybe less. The short shift adapter will be a week or so behind.

daijobu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
@ACUITY, I am still patiently waiting to give you more of my money before tearing apart the interior. Please tell me this is around the corner...
Tell me about it. I'm actually going to wait for the full stage 3 short shifter set. The only thing worth changing for me right now is the cable bushings. Everything else will come with the full shifter set.

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Si, 19 Accord 2.0T, 23 Type R
Country flag
We are looking forward to these new parts being released to offer to our customers! I am especially excited about the rocker upgrade and short shift adapter. There is lots to be excited about coming soon from Acuity Instruments!

Matthyahuw

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Agean Blue Civic Si Sedan 2016 Omaha Orange Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ordered the 'big three' so far, the linkage bushings, centering spring and base bushings.

Have installed the linkage bushings this morning (along with the Boomba short shifter kit). What a great pair this two mods make. The bushings make things crisp and I love the overall shorter shifter.

I'll wait for other products to be released before I tear down my center console...

Thanks for a great product!

Honda Civic 10th gen The Official ACUITY Instruments CivicX product launch thread! IMG_20180429_093336

Tim818

King Of The ā€˜Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
Hopefully the rocker drops in the first week of May. Im so excited for this part
I hope so too, I hope @ACUITY drops a short shifter for the FK8 too lol....

Gonna wait till late fall to install the shifter rocker arm since itā€™s getting hot outside :confused:

Last edited:

Tim818

King Of The ā€˜Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
Yea the plastics should be easier to take off when warmed up.
Lol what are you talking about? I work on my car outside, donā€™t want to leave the car door open so all these little bugs could fly in my car, when taking apart the interior pieces I have to leave the car door slightly open so I donā€™t sweat my ass off.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.