First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Hello.

I’ve gathered you all here today so that we may commiserate over the worst feature of modern cars ever conceived.

The automatic “all windows down” thing.

I keep my keys in my back pocket. Because of this, there have been several occasions in which I've walked outside to my car only to find ALL of my windows ALL THE WAY down. And it's almost always at the worst times, like overnight on a humid day, or when the neighbor is mowing his lawn. Yes, before anyone says it, I’ve since gotten into the habit of taking my keys out of my pocket before I sit down. But still.

Why would anyone need this lame party trick? I've seen people say that it's to cool the cabin down before getting in, but that would take forever anyway and meanwhile you have all your windows down, exposing your car to the elements for who knows how long until it reaches an okay temperature. Also, if it's hot in your car, and it's hot outside, would it really make that big of a difference? And why on Earth do they not include a feature to automatically wind them back up without having to get in and start the car?

It's absolute nonsense and I wish I was in the meeting when they decided this was somehow a good idea.

That's all. Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.
Sponsored

pdrumns

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI Coupe and 2019 Nissan Kicks
Country flag
Hello.

I’ve gathered you all here today so that we may commiserate over the worst feature of modern cars ever conceived.

The automatic “all windows down” thing.

I keep my keys in my back pocket. Because of this, there have been several occasions in which I've walked outside to my car only to find ALL of my windows ALL THE WAY down. And it's almost always at the worst times, like overnight on a humid day, or when the neighbor is mowing his lawn. Yes, before anyone says it, I’ve since gotten into the habit of taking my keys out of my pocket before I sit down. But still.

Why would anyone need this lame party trick? I've seen people say that it's to cool the cabin down before getting in, but that would take forever anyway and meanwhile you have all your windows down, exposing your car to the elements for who knows how long until it reaches an okay temperature. Also, if it's hot in your car, and it's hot outside, would it really make that big of a difference? And why on Earth do they not include a feature to automatically wind them back up without having to get in and start the car?

It's absolute nonsense and I wish I was in the meeting when they decided this was somehow a good idea.

That's all. Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.
To answer the two highlighted questions, 1. Yes- I live in Florida and temps outside can be in the upper 90s and inside a closed car reach almost enough to reach a cooked safe internal temp for chicken " At 70 degrees on a sunny day, after a half hour, the temperature inside a car is 104 degrees. After an hour, it can reach 113 degrees.” “When temperatures outside range from 80 degrees to 100 degrees, the temperature inside a car parked in direct sunlight can quickly climb to between 130 to 172.”

2. I agree, there should some addtl feature to remotely close them.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I agree with you. In fact, I've often wondered why it's not the opposite! An "All windows up" would be very convenient when you have your windows cracked on a hot day and you see rain clouds approaching.

Keropi76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
My parent 2004 Mercedes can open AND CLOSE remotly the windows. Never understood we I can't in my 2018 :crazy:

junooni176

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sedan 2019 EX
Country flag
It is a good idea especially in the Texas summer. But there should be a way to remotely close the windows as well. And there should be an option to turn it off in the settings

willowcairns

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Acura TLX ASPEC SH-AWD, 2009 Acura TL Tech
Country flag
This is one of my favorite features, and I use it every day. I can open my windows from my desk at work and put them down 10 minuets before I leave.

_dc_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You can't close the windows remotely for safety reasons. You can, however, close the windows with the key in the same way; insert key, turn the key to the lock position and release, then turn the key to the lock position again and hold to close the windows. Opening the windows with the key works too, except in the unlock position.

yhkwok

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 Galant ES 2.4, 18 Sienna XLE (FWD), 18 FK7 ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wouldn't say it's the most annoying feature in the history of automotive technology, since there's that "unlock the car - all lights turns on (including reverse)" from GM, it's hard to beat:nono:

This has not yet happened to me, I think it has to do with my fob cover from Honda Access, the cover is thick enough to make the buttons seats lower.
(Plus there's always a distance between the car and where I could seat down:hmm:)
Honda Civic 10th gen The most useless, annoying feature in the history of automotive technology 20180923_131310
Honda Civic 10th gen The most useless, annoying feature in the history of automotive technology 20180923_131344

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I like the feature. It's unfortunate that Honda doesn't allow the windows to roll up remotely too, like I could do with my VW 10 years ago.

pdrumns

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI Coupe and 2019 Nissan Kicks
Country flag
I like the feature. It's unfortunate that Honda doesn't allow the windows to roll up remotely too, like I could do with my VW 10 years ago.
You know, I think my 2012 GTI was able to do this after I had it programmed by a shop. VAG-COM

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
To me ,what's worse is that you have to open the sunroof with the Windows. It would cool my car down if it weren't for the sun beating directly into it defeating the purpose.

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
Kinda agree, at a minimum, the feature should be defeatable in the menu, what's totally stupid (as others have mentioned) is including the sunroof in the auto-open. I've used the feature while walking across a hot parking lot to vent the car, but have always worried about accidental activation. If other manufacturers like Mercedes can do an auto-up function as well, Honda should have incorporated that too. Actually I'd prefer an auto-up. If the computer is so damm smart, you'd think they could coordinate the rain sensing wipers with an auto-up function so if your windows/sunroof are down and it starts to rain, well, you get the idea:)

Turboroe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring 1.5L 2018
Country flag
My Touring closes all windows and sunroof with the fob. Maybe it's a Brazilian version thing?

It can open all (unlock button) and close all ( lock button) by pressing once then press-hold.

CobraCommand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Canadian Civic LX Hatchback, formerly 2017 Canadian Civic LX Sedan
Country flag
My Touring closes all windows and sunroof with the fob. Maybe it's a Brazilian version thing?

It can open all (unlock button) and close all ( lock button) by pressing once then press-hold.
Yeah, it's just a North American safety thing. Apparently we are too stupid too handle remote window closing and not kill ourselves.